Boredom, temptation and too weak to fight.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
Hi, I suppose I'm like most people in some ways. I get very frustrated and bored of not having much to do in a purposeful way. And anything I try to do as a hobby or project doesn't has never worked out.

I smoke, watch rubbish and play console games. I live with smokers and God hasn't given me a home of my own so I don't see me quiting smoking soon.

What is anyone supposed to do other than sit in a corner reading a Bible feeling bad about a sh*t society.

Don't have much of a clue what gifts I have for god to use either.

Nov 14, 2016
Need a good church---a good environment----if your bored---you need God's fire----find people on fire for God----I came off of drugs and sex---took 200 acid trips- LSD----brain smashed in with Zepplin, Black Sabbath, ect..---started praying in tongues with my pastor up to 4 hours a day---God completely delivered me from rubbish...

Y

Yiska

Perhaps there is a volunteer centre in your area and you can learn about opportunities to help the disabled, the elderly, or even help some way in the arts? Sure not all volunteer positions are created equally and sometimes it takes trying a few to find the right one. I used to volunteer at soup kitchens and also the Salvation Army. Sure I've seen and experienced troubles volunteering but I also have been richly blessed through it, met new people, and learned new skills.

I used to be the media outreach coordinator for my local volunteer centre and learned about hundreds of volunteer opportunities in my area. Some neat opportunities were rehabilitating wildlife; and working with a riding program that gave disabled children the chance to ride horses with assistance. In finding the right volunteer position/s there is training to learn new skills to add to your resume. If you don't want to have a volunteer position that is long term, you can also volunteer to help out at events in your community. I think the most popular of this in my community is Music Fest as the volunteers are enjoying the music while helping out.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Depleted

Hi, I suppose I'm like most people in some ways. I get very frustrated and bored of not having much to do in a purposeful way. And anything I try to do as a hobby or project doesn't has never worked out.

I smoke, watch rubbish and play console games. I live with smokers and God hasn't given me a home of my own so I don't see me quiting smoking soon.

What is anyone supposed to do other than sit in a corner reading a Bible feeling bad about a sh*t society.

Think about others, instead of constantly thinking about yourself?

G00WZ

May 16, 2014

depends really.. is that where you want to be? or do you want more out of life?, some people like the darkness, the choice is yours.

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
I think what all of you so far have pointed to is uneducated and unhelpful. Think of others you say, and what? Nothing. I have a church, and I work days. So volunteering is not really possible for people, generally who work. Also, being with good church people, means coffee mornings and day meetings etc that is AVAILABLE. I work, I'm not a retired person who has the luxury of volunteering and going to church in the day. Then you say maybe it's not for me. Really, your telling people Christianity isn't for them. Pretty daft don't you think. Hopefully someone who has an actual point reply, but hey, they haven't in 33years so maybe I'll have to just rely on god. As I do, waiting, again. With little direction or seen use of me. I really get sick of this world. Always not getting sense from anyone.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
I think what all of you so far have pointed to is uneducated and unhelpful. Think of others you say, and what? Nothing. I have a church, and I work days. So volunteering is not really possible for people, generally who work. Also, being with good church people, means coffee mornings and day meetings etc that is AVAILABLE. I work, I'm not a retired person who has the luxury of volunteering and going to church in the day. Then you say maybe it's not for me. Really, your telling people Christianity isn't for them. Pretty daft don't you think. Hopefully someone who has an actual point reply, but hey, they haven't in 33years so maybe I'll have to just rely on god. As I do, waiting, again. With little direction or seen use of me. I really get sick of this world. Always not getting sense from anyone.
I speak the way i do because i am not one to sugarcoat things, and like i said some people enjoy the struggle of life and like where they are. What you need to do is renew your mind to Ephesians 4.22-24 "You were taught to put off your former way of life, your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23to be renewed in the spirit of your minds;
4and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.".. the more you do this, the faster you will change. You are a new creation in Christ and you have to let go of that old mindset, and pick up your new one.
1 Corinthians 3:16 "Do you not know that you yourselves are God's temple, and that God's Spirit dwells in you?"
... you have it all already, you just need to walk in it, and yea i see the other posts before me.. If you take this one seriously, this will be a game changer for you.

A

AmmaBev

Jeremiah says "I have loved you with an everlasting love..." you are mine, I have weaved you in your mother's womb (Ps. 139)
You belong to Me. When you become a Christian, your identity is in Christ. However, the world says your identity is in what you do, who you know and what you have. These things come and go and when they go, we can get depressed or anxious. We need to live in our relationship with God as our first love and forgive others when they fail us and let pain prune us. We are in relationship with our Beloved, rest and yield to His love, wait on Him. Wait means "bind together by twisting" so there is action required, read His word, seek His face and you will no longer be bored, you will have a purpose and out of that will come the joy to serve Him. Remember: You are accepted (Jn l:12, Jn 15:15, Romans 5:1, Ephesians 1:5
You are secure: Romans 8:1-2; 28; 35-39 and finally you are significant: Mt. 5:13-14, Jn 15:16, Eph. 2:10, Phil. 4:13
Ammabev

W

wwjd_kilden

I too have found out that much of what goes on in the UK is aimed at people who are unemployed (ie coffee mornings like you said), but there was always something in the evenings at some day during the week. I.e bible studies , or sometimes evening meetings. (I don't know how large your town is, I had four churches to choose from which gave me more opportunities).

Some towns have "park runs" once a week (dunno if you like running).

Do you have a drivers license and a car so you can get around? (or if not, are the bus connections good?)
- Sometimes it can be nice to just get out somewhere in a forest or by the sea and get all the indoors thoughts blown away by the wind :)

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
I too have found out that much of what goes on in the UK is aimed at people who are unemployed (ie coffee mornings like you said), but there was always something in the evenings at some day during the week. I.e bible studies , or sometimes evening meetings. (I don't know how large your town is, I had four churches to choose from which gave me more opportunities).

Some towns have "park runs" once a week (dunno if you like running).

Do you have a drivers license and a car so you can get around? (or if not, are the bus connections good?)
- Sometimes it can be nice to just get out somewhere in a forest or by the sea and get all the indoors thoughts blown away by the wind :)
I understand your point. But Bible studies here are womens only? And I live on the coast. There's only so much outdoors walking/ sitting before it gets samey. It's also alone and uneventful. Thanks though.

D

Depleted

I went by what you wrote:

If you have time to "smoke, watch rubbish and play console games" along with "sit in the corner reading a bible" (which apparently you don't), you have time to go out and volunteer.

Homeless people in need of food gather in the evening to those places that feed them. Outpatient rehab and AA and NA meetings usually meet at night because those people are also working all day. Most prison ministries are at night because those people have to work all day too. Nursing homes and hospitals have evening visiting hours because families and friends have to work all day too. At-risk kids are out and about at night because they can, and you're obviously too busy smoking, watching the tube and playing video games to do a thing about it?

I nailed that one. You're bored because you're too self-centered. A little less subtle this time?

Meh. I get another chance in a week or two when you take another shot at how the rest of society is crap, but you are not.

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016

maybe the trouble is the video games and rubbish need to go in the trash and you need to get a job that pays some money and get a place of your own. God will not give you a place of your own but he will give you strength to get a place of your own. Unless you are very very physically disabled there is no need for you not to work.. God will guide you but yu are in control of your life... sorry to be harsh but I feel no pitty for you if your are perfectly able to work a job and be active in life and choose not to... here is some scripture for you it is the bible verse of the day. maybe my harsg tone is what you need if you where mu kid i would be kicking your A** out the door to work...... 1 Corinthians 10:13 - There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

1 John 2:15-17 - Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (Read More...) in other words video games and television are just objects of man pu them away and do work

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016

p.s. your giftys are not playing video games and watching teli you will never find your gifts if you do not go out and try things.

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016
Need a good church---a good environment----if your bored---you need God's fire----find people on fire for God----I came off of drugs and sex---took 200 acid trips- LSD----brain smashed in with Zepplin, Black Sabbath, ect..---started praying in tongues with my pastor up to 4 hours a day---God completely delivered me from rubbish...
hey nothing wrong with a little led zepplin and Ozzy now and then lol is there cause if so that would not be good for me lol

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016
ok hang on friend your original post made it sound like you did not work or do anything but sit around all day and watch rubbish while smoking and playing games. So do not get mad if people assumed that is all you do.. now that it is clear that you do work a job we are getting someplace. First number one try not to get angry when people respond you asked for advice. Two instead of video games which are expensive save the money and get you an apartment which is more important to you independence or playing call of duty? Second if your not busy with video games that frees up some time for you to interact with human beings who are kind and not full of bs and anger. Third if you are angry at your self and life situation i get that but God can only do so much you need to do the majority of the work he just gives you tools. fourth if your not busy with video games it will give you time to read scripture and reconnect with God if that is what you want. So i am sorry for my other posts as i assumed you did not work because your original post made it sound that way........ Now if you want more from your self and God video games are not the answer prayer and scripture and kind people are your answer...

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013

Welcome to life :)... Most people get bored, many feel unfulfilled, and few possess any gifts. As Sally Fields said, "Its up to everyone to find their own destiny Forest". Serenity emanates from within, if you were married with 3 kids, you'd probably feel the same way, we all just work, eat, and sleep. "Life; one thing lead to another, and before you knew it, we were dead". The trick is to enjoy the trip, life is the journey, not a destination. The bible doesn't make me feel bad about anything, it gives me hope when I'm just treading water.

D

Depleted

Here's an answer from Charles Spurgeon --
“Ye are Christ’s.”
- 1Co_3:23

“Ye are Christ’s.” You are his by donation, for the Father gave you to the Son; his by his bloody purchase, for he counted down the price for your redemption; his by dedication, for you have consecrated yourself to him; his by relation, for you are named by his name, and made one of his brethren and joint-heirs. Labour practically to show the world that you are the servant, the friend, the bride of Jesus. When tempted to sin, reply, “I cannot do this great wickedness, for I am Christ’s.” Immortal principles forbid the friend of Christ to sin. When wealth is before you to be won by sin, say that you are Christ’s, and touch it not. Are you exposed to difficulties and dangers? Stand fast in the evil day, remembering that you are Christ’s. Are you placed where others are sitting down idly, doing nothing? Rise to the work with all your powers; and when the sweat stands upon your brow, and you are tempted to loiter, cry, “No, I cannot stop, for I am Christ’s. If I were not purchased by blood, I might be like Issachar, crouching between two burdens; but I am Christ’s, and cannot loiter.” When the siren song of pleasure would tempt you from the path of right, reply, “Thy music cannot charm me; I am Christ’s.” When the cause of God invites thee, give thy goods and thyself away, for thou art Christ’s. Never belie thy profession. Be thou ever one of those whose manners are Christian, whose speech is like the Nazarene, whose conduct and conversation are so redolent of heaven, that all who see you may know that you are the Saviour’s, recognizing in you his features of love and his countenance of holiness. “I am a Roman!” was of old a reason for integrity; far more, then, let it be your argument for holiness, “I am Christ’s!”

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
I went by what you wrote:

If you have time to "smoke, watch rubbish and play console games" along with "sit in the corner reading a bible" (which apparently you don't), you have time to go out and volunteer.

Homeless people in need of food gather in the evening to those places that feed them. Outpatient rehab and AA and NA meetings usually meet at night because those people are also working all day. Most prison ministries are at night because those people have to work all day too. Nursing homes and hospitals have evening visiting hours because families and friends have to work all day too. At-risk kids are out and about at night because they can, and you're obviously too busy smoking, watching the tube and playing video games to do a thing about it?

I nailed that one. You're bored because you're too self-centered. A little less subtle this time?

Meh. I get another chance in a week or two when you take another shot at how the rest of society is crap, but you are not.
I'll make it a little clearer, I live in a small town, the next towns are small, the church I go to is in the next town. There is little where I live. I'm in the UK, so visiting people in nursing homes will get you arrested, hospitals too, street walking and talking to kids as you suggest will too. And I read the Bible more on my phone throughout the day, not much in the evening. As it gets BORING. So, I game,some, write or do hobbies to pass the time. Nearly all voluntary stuff is miles away costing lots of money in fuel or only available in the day for unemployed or retired people. SO, what do Christians do when they have little to help with? And your the one telling people their selfish on many posts, so look at yourself before putting labels on people. Nothing's "nailed".

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
Here's an answer from Charles Spurgeon --
“Ye are Christ’s.”
- 1Co_3:23

“Ye are Christ’s.” You are his by donation, for the Father gave you to the Son; his by his bloody purchase, for he counted down the price for your redemption; his by dedication, for you have consecrated yourself to him; his by relation, for you are named by his name, and made one of his brethren and joint-heirs. Labour practically to show the world that you are the servant, the friend, the bride of Jesus. When tempted to sin, reply, “I cannot do this great wickedness, for I am Christ’s.” Immortal principles forbid the friend of Christ to sin. When wealth is before you to be won by sin, say that you are Christ’s, and touch it not. Are you exposed to difficulties and dangers? Stand fast in the evil day, remembering that you are Christ’s. Are you placed where others are sitting down idly, doing nothing? Rise to the work with all your powers; and when the sweat stands upon your brow, and you are tempted to loiter, cry, “No, I cannot stop, for I am Christ’s. If I were not purchased by blood, I might be like Issachar, crouching between two burdens; but I am Christ’s, and cannot loiter.” When the siren song of pleasure would tempt you from the path of right, reply, “Thy music cannot charm me; I am Christ’s.” When the cause of God invites thee, give thy goods and thyself away, for thou art Christ’s. Never belie thy profession. Be thou ever one of those whose manners are Christian, whose speech is like the Nazarene, whose conduct and conversation are so redolent of heaven, that all who see you may know that you are the Saviour’s, recognizing in you his features of love and his countenance of holiness. “I am a Roman!” was of old a reason for integrity; far more, then, let it be your argument for holiness, “I am Christ’s!”
This is nice, but basically says:
Don't sin, when idle don't be, remember I belong to Christ. Not much about doing, just thinking. Which is the issue, thinking gets boring when your not busy using the thoughts. The use is just "standing strong". These words basically infer none of us qualify as Christians because every second, we can't sin because we are Christ's. Impossible? That's why we repent isn't it?

D

Depleted

Yeah, I get you now. The smokers you live with need nothing. Your neighbor needs nothing. The feral cats and dogs need nothing. The kids need nothing. (Obviously, no one in your small town does anything for the kids. No Sunday schools. No youth sports. No recreational activities. It's England, so it must be a thing there.) So, you, personally, are left off the hook (no nails) to complain about how much you smoke, how all you can do is play video games. My bad!

You are free to be bored. Viola! wish fulfilled! You are an island unto yourself.

And you'll be bored again in another week or two, so will come back here to whine some more on how hard your life is. I won't be back that time. I've got stuff to do FOR OTHERS!