Born Again Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godsgirl83

You are somebody who can interpret tongues!!? Fantastic!

Can you please interpret these tongues?

I am giving a thumbs up here b/c of the video. I do not know if the comment was meant as a joke/criticism or not, but I DO KNOW THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT THAT WAS MOVING THERE! I DO KNOW THAT FEELING where it starts in your belly and comes up to your mouth (tongue wants to move but your human mind wont let it........) but once you surrender YOUR control to HIS will......... well I cannot begin to tell you in words;) (human words that is) what it can and WILL DO FOR YOU (anyone)

G

Godsgirl83

I think that part of the problem is that those who say you must speak in tongues to be saved are alienating people who don't speak in tongues, basically calling them not Christian. Of course that is going to cause a big blow back response and a defence for the other position. You can hardly tell a person who loves and serves God with all their heart that they are damned because they don't speak in tongues and expect them to be ok with that.
Romans 10:9 says
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I agree that tongues or not has NOTHING to do with ones salvation.

G

Godsgirl83

When the apostels spoke in tounges, everyone could understand them. Tounges are when you speak and everyone can understand what you say regardles from what country you are or language you speak.
Hello CC4! WELCOME to CC (christianchat;)) Do not be discouraged by the first few attempts you have made here. I PROMISE not everything or everyone is always so heated! Click around, you'll find something here you'll enjoy.

G

Godsgirl83

Babbling does not seek to mimic real language; /QUOTE]

Isn't it interesting that a baby "babbles" before it forms words with it's tongue?

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:3-4
First, here we're talking about real, rational languages, not modern tongues-speech.

I suppose it's a matter of how one interprets the bolded phrase - I would argue that the Spirit gave them the courage to go forth and speak to the people i.e. gave them their 'voice' their 'utterance' (more metaphorically speaking than literal). I don't believe however that the Spirit had anything to do with what language they spoke to the people in - I'm kind of beating a dead horse, but there were really only two languages spoken by the Jews there and the apostles spoke both of them.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
Isn't it interesting that a baby "babbles" before it forms words with it's tongue?

That's one way to put it - babies, when babbling, are 'playing' with sounds (and in doing so, all parts of the vocal tract are used including the tongue). They have no idea or concept of true spoken language yet. They're not trying to mimic language; they don't really know what it is yet. They're simply repeating the sounds they hear all around them (but sometimes said babbling can come out as a complete short sentence as clear as day - which scares the heck out of most parents the first time it happens :) )

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
I agree that it is the first time that the Holy Ghost was poured into people. However, we see it happening again in these scripture verses: Acts 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6.
That was acts 2,2-4 reportet was nowhere in the bible repeatet.
No wind, no flames are reportet in acts 8, 10 ore 19.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I am giving a thumbs up here b/c of the video. I do not know if the comment was meant as a joke/criticism or not, but I DO KNOW THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT THAT WAS MOVING THERE! I DO KNOW THAT FEELING where it starts in your belly and comes up to your mouth (tongue wants to move but your human mind wont let it........) but once you surrender YOUR control to HIS will......... well I cannot begin to tell you in words;) (human words that is) what it can and WILL DO FOR YOU (anyone)
No. Not a joke sister. Just an illustration of how ludicrous, and yes, I would say blasphemous some in this movement are.

This is absolute UNBIBLICAL lunacy! I may not know His complete Will for my life, but what I DO know is that it ISN'T this! There may in fact be legitimate tongues being spoken somewhere, BUT this is NOT FROM GOD!

Did you watch the video? How is this defensible?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
That was acts 2,2-4 reportet was nowhere in the bible repeatet.
No wind, no flames are reportet in acts 8, 10 ore 19.
I apologize. I misunderstood what you meant. Yes, the initial outpouring did include the wind, cloven tongues of fire, etc. These in fact are evidence that backs up the fact that the Holy Ghost is present in one's body.

My comment was that the Holy Ghost was spontaneously poured into the Jews at Pentecost and on the Gentiles in Acts 10:44-48. In those particular cases the Spirit infilling did not require the laying on of hands.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Yes, there is a clear record of speaking in tongues in the book of Acts for some of those that became believers. No problem with that!
But where is the command in the Bible that this is a necessity for the new birth, or even where is it commanded that anyone (believer or nonbeliever) needs to/should speak in tongues? (that is a simple enough question, isn't it?)
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Jesus talk about born again in john 3.
Seem to me Jesus not say born again mean speak in tongues
If we read more in this chapter, on verse 16 talking about whosoever believe will be save
Not save till born again
Whosoever believe save
> born again mean believe.
7 Wonder not that I said to thee: You must be born again.
8 The Spirit breatheth where he will and thou hearest his voice: but thou knowest not whence he cometh and whither he goeth.
So is every one that is born of the Spirit.
John 3: (DRB)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
7 Wonder not that I said to thee: You must be born again.
8 The Spirit breatheth where he will and thou hearest his voice: but thou knowest not whence he cometh and whither he goeth.
So is every one that is born of the Spirit.
John 3: (DRB)
Really bad rendering of John 3:7-8 but you do so to create a private interpretation of the scriptures.

The Holy Spirit is obedient to the Father just as the Son. The Holy Spirit does the will of the Father and never acts on His own.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Jesus talk about born again in john 3.

Seem to me Jesus not say born again mean speak in tongues

If we read more in this chapter, on verse 16 talking about whosoever believe will be save

Not save till born again

Whosoever believe save

> born again mean believe.
One must start at the beginning of the chapter and read the entire chapter for context.
If one believes in Jesus they will search out what He says to do and they will be born again.

As Waggles post indicated Jesus said those who believe and are baptized will be saved. Mark 16:16

Notice Jesus words below:
And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak. John 12:47-50

U

UnderGrace

That's one way to put it - babies, when babbling, are 'playing' with sounds (and in doing so, all parts of the vocal tract are used including the tongue). They have no idea or concept of true spoken language yet. They're not trying to mimic language; they don't really know what it is yet. They're simply repeating the sounds they hear all around them (but sometimes said babbling can come out as a complete short sentence as clear as day - which scares the heck out of most parents the first time it happens :) )

They have no idea or concept of true spoken language yet.
I know many speech/language pathologists and other clinicians that would not accept this statement, receptive language precedes expressive language and studies have shown that infants can understand many words before they can say them.

G

Godsgirl83

Although I can't say I've changed my mind one way or the other because I was agnostic on the issue, I CAN say I have learned a lot, and have started to research and form an opinion on this whole matter because of these threads.
Thanks for sharing.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I'm SAYING it's getting OLD that the same conversation with a majority of the SAME people are saying the SAME thing and getting NOWHERE. Has ANYONE involved in ANY of the tongue threads had a change in their point of view (on either side for/against)?
Not yet but we're gonna wear 'em down!

U

UnderGrace

No. Not a joke sister. Just an illustration of how ludicrous, and yes, I would say blasphemous some in this movement are.

This is absolute UNBIBLICAL lunacy! I may not know His complete Will for my life, but what I DO know is that it ISN'T this! There may in fact be legitimate tongues being spoken somewhere, BUT this is NOT FROM GOD!

Did you watch the video? How is this defensible?
Sad how the people in the crowd were so gullible :(

It would seem that no one can offer a metric to separate out the real from the false, except for their own internal feelings about the experience.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.” No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the prophets, ‘A nd they shall all be taught of G od .’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me. Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father. Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.
JOHN 6:35‭-‬40‭, ‬44‭-‬47 NASB
https://bible.com/bible/100/jhn.6.35-47.NASB

If you believe scripture, and that these are the accurate words of Christ Jesus, it is impossible for a man to come to Jesus, and believe in him and be turned away. Because all that come to him come by the drawing of the Father who sent him, and he by his own words will not turn them away.
I do not share this to be harsh. What do you suppose this parable means? For it states that many are called, but few are chosen.

"Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
For many are called, but few are chosen." Matt 22:8-14

Jesus told people to strive to enter in at the strait (narrow) gate:
hen said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able." Luke 13:23-24

And that, "...wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matt 7:13-14

It is our duty to search out and obey Jesus' commands.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Sad how the people in the crowd were so gullible :(

It would seem that no one can offer a metric to separate out the real from the false, except for their own internal feelings about the experience.
It is not our job to judge. Acquiring what one feels to be evidence before pursuing something in the Word is not stepping out in faith.

G

Godsgirl83

Can happen the same way in the Spirit too;) Surprises the one doing it,