Born Again Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Your ignorance of the Spiritual is there for all of us to see.
But is that not your assignment? You are the one turning things upside down. Calling spiritual things not seen the eternal the temporal seen It would seem someone has received their reward of self edification. .
Isiah 28 (yet for all that they still refuse to hear prophecy in any manner.It sets the foundation of those who do make the understanding of God without effect in the next chapter. .

Isaiah 29:16 Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

Can't serve two master .The things seen the temporal and that not seen the eternal .One choice, Hate the one or love the other

The problem with a sign as a confirmation reward seekers is keeping it full and wearing a OSHA approved headgear in the case finishing touch the last part of the ceremony. (slain in the flesh)

If someone forgets the safety net. They could break their neck. Can't trust the things of the flesh even literal poison it will harm them... dead as a door nail . OSHA approved antidote should be on hand .

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Charismatic churches, Assemblies of God, Baptists, I'm really not a fan of any of these, nor of any "denomination." There was never to be any divisions in the church, however we now have THOUSANDS!

The problem you are relating across to me has to do with the devil and his counterfeit. Going all the way back to the times of Moses and the judgements upon Egypt, Pharaoh's magicians could duplicate those same miracles (up to a point).

In fact, during the 2nd half of Daniels week (3 1/2 years) the antichrist will be performing miracles that deceives the world, and that is simultaneously while God's two witnesses are doing the Lord's miracles. Which do you think people will think is the real one?

Dan, I'm sorry to hear you have witnessed the fake operations of God, but rest assured there is the real fully operating in these last days according to Acts 2:38, and it is the real operation I truly hope you seek and find.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
[39] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

With the love of Christ,
God bless!
Myself...I am seeking to serve. And preach. And grow in Grace and knowledge. Frankly seeking to emulate the sign gifts does not appeal to me. Primarily because of the vast fraud now in play.

Service. We are servants post Salvation. We exist for no other reason.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
[QUOTE="mailmandan, post: 3937652, member: 193497"
Speaking in tongues may be "an" evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit (as was the case for these Gentiles in Acts 10:45-46) who after receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit were heard speaking in tongues and magnifying God, yet it's not "the" evidence for everyone, because not all speak in tongues (1 Corinthians 12:28-31). These Gentles in Acts 10:43-47 had truly believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit and were saved and a part of the body of Christ (before water baptism) and speaking in tongues gave evidence to the Jews (those of the circumcision) that they had received the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:45 - And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. [/QUOTE]I find it curious that after the initial experience on the Day of Pentecost that there is no record of anything other than speaking in tongues accompanying the infilling of the Holy Ghost.

We are told to study to gain understanding of biblical concepts. What is seen in scripture and witnessed at least 3 times and possibility 4 is that speaking in tongues did occur when people received the Holy Ghost.

Lastly, when Paul spoke of not all speaking in tongues he was referring to the Spiritual gift. Paul explained that not all believers will operate in all of the Spiritual gifts for the purpose of edification of the church.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
You are the one turning things upside down.
Pentecostal Christians were doing this in the beginning and we are still doing this today - praise God !!

And when they could not find them, they dragged Jason and some of the brothers before the city authorities, shouting,
“These men who have turned the world upside down have come here also, …
Acts 17:6

Mar 28, 2016
Part of the stalemate in debating the gifts and power and baptism in the Holy Spirit is that the Spirit preceeds the word.
Anointing precedes the word.

I can approach the subject 3 ways.

It would seem he is the 1 Way

Anointing is the work of Christ that he works in us ( Christos..the Annointed one). the anointing Holy Spirt of God. As it (the faith of the Annointed one, teaches us we therfore abide in Him .The teacher, comforter and guide as who also bring to our mind that which he has taught us. We are to call no man on earth master teacher one is our father in heaven not seen

These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.1 John 2

Can't separate the anointing from the word we abide in the anointing of it

Mar 28, 2016
Pentecostal Christians were doing this in the beginning and we are still doing this today - praise God !!

And when they could not find them, they dragged Jason and some of the brothers before the city authorities, shouting,
Hi, I guess you are there. Will you look to the foundation of the doctrine today ? Its in the old testament. It can't hurt to look or can it? Or is that waht Pentecostal Christians do destroy the foundations? How could that be turning the world upside down .A person would need the understanding what the doctrine is. Yet for all that you refuse to even look at it. ?:(

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Dan, I'm sorry to hear you have witnessed the fake operations of God, but rest assured there is the real fully operating in these last days according to Acts 2:38, and it is the real operation I truly hope you seek and find.
There are fake operations of God and real operations of God which are operating in these last days. Why are you so obsessed with Acts 2:38? You never did answer my question from post #576:

So what do YOU believe it means to BELIEVE the gospel? (Romans 1:16)

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
So what do YOU believe it means to BELIEVE the gospel? (Romans 1:16)
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
Mark 16:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
Mark 16:
So you believe the gospel is, "believe and be baptized and you will be saved?" Is that what Jesus said in John 3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26? Is that what Peter said in Acts 10:43? Is that what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4?

Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the ONE requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

*John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Because it is actually the word of God.
Acts 2:38 certainly is the word of God and so is Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18 etc.. We need to properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine and not isolate pet verses, build doctrine on them and ignore the rest or try to force the rest to "conform" to a biased interpretation of a pet verse.

E

eternally-gratefull

What rubbish is this?
Water baptism is not evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit - not at all.
Speaking in tongues is the only God given evidence of baptism of the Holy Spirit.
This is probably one of the worse and sadly uneducated posts I have ever read. Where do people come up with this nonsense?

Any gift of God is evidence that we have been indwell and baptized by God the HS. Not just one. This alone should steer people away from this nonsense.

E

eternally-gratefull

It's not rubbish.

Daniel Wallace stated that water baptism is not a cause of salvation, but a picture; and as such it serves both as a public acknowledgment (by those present) and a public confession (by the convert) that one has been Spirit baptized. For those who have truly believed and received the gift of the Holy Spirit, it is a public acknowledgement. Water baptism is not necessarily "evidence" that one has received the Holy Spirit because tragically, there are plenty of people (in various false religions and cults) who have been water baptized as a means to obtaining salvation (so they thought) but have not truly believed and received the gift of the Holy Spirit (even though they may have been duped into believing otherwise).

Speaking in tongues may be "an" evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit (as was the case for these Gentiles in Acts 10:45-46) who after receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit were heard speaking in tongues and magnifying God, yet it's not "the" evidence for everyone, because not all speak in tongues (1 Corinthians 12:28-31). These Gentles in Acts 10:43-47 had truly believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit and were saved and a part of the body of Christ (before water baptism) and speaking in tongues gave evidence to the Jews (those of the circumcision) that they had received the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:45 - And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
See, now here is an educated response. Which is biblical. And takes all things into account.

E

eternally-gratefull

Oneness Pentecostal movements seem to maintain that speaking in tongues is not just a post-conversion indicator of the filling or baptism of the Holy Spirit, but an essential ingredient in the salvation experience itself. In other words, if a person has never spoken in tongues, he or she is not saved! That is a dangerous false teaching! :eek:
Waggles swears he is not oneness (did he ever say what church he goes to?)

Not sure about the other two. They are not CoC thats for sure.

E

eternally-gratefull

Charismatic churches, Assemblies of God, Baptists, I'm really not a fan of any of these, nor of any "denomination." There was never to be any divisions in the church, however we now have THOUSANDS!

The problem you are relating across to me has to do with the devil and his counterfeit. Going all the way back to the times of Moses and the judgements upon Egypt, Pharaoh's magicians could duplicate those same miracles (up to a point).

In fact, during the 2nd half of Daniels week (3 1/2 years) the antichrist will be performing miracles that deceives the world, and that is simultaneously while God's two witnesses are doing the Lord's miracles. Which do you think people will think is the real one?

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
[39] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

With the love of Christ,
God bless!
Now read this is the greek and then you will get the true interprettion. Not the faulty ones thqt have people thinking a sinner baptising another sinner in water saves people.

E

eternally-gratefull

Your not turning the world upside down my friend. Your leading them astray having them put faith in the work of men, not the work of God. Your no different than the jews who tried to insist circumcision was a part of salvation. The only difference you do not have people mutilated (as paul called it)

E

eternally-gratefull

Because it is actually the word of God.
Not your interpretation

Your interpretation causes Jesus and paul to be contradicted by Peter. You have them teaching two gospels.. .

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I find it curious that after the initial experience on the Day of Pentecost that there is no record of anything other than speaking in tongues accompanying the infilling of the Holy Ghost.
So WHO spoke in tongues on the Day of Pentecost? Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Who is they? What was the purpose of them speaking in tongues? Where does it say that the around 3,000 people who were added to the Lord that day in Acts 2:41 all spoke in tongues?

We are told to study to gain understanding of biblical concepts. What is seen in scripture and witnessed at least 3 times and possibility 4 is that speaking in tongues did occur when people received the Holy Ghost.
In Acts 8:14, we read - Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

What was the purpose of Peter and John laying hands on these Samaritans to receive the Holy Spirit? What happened to speaking in tongues here? How did the Jews in general feel about the Samaritans? Mormons run with Acts 8:17 and turn the laying on of hands into a requirement for all to receive the Holy Spirit. That is what happens when people isolate pet verses and do not properly harmonize scripture with scripture. Also, nothing is mentioned about the eunuch speaking in tongues in Acts 8:34-38.

*So what was the purpose of speaking in tongues in Acts 2 and Acts 10? What did it confirm to the audience?

Lastly, when Paul spoke of not all speaking in tongues he was referring to the Spiritual gift. Paul explained that not all believers will operate in all of the Spiritual gifts for the purpose of edification of the church.
Speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift that NOT ALL believers will operate in. (1 Corinthians 12)

E

eternally-gratefull

Acts 2:38 certainly is the word of God and so is Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18 etc.. We need to properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine and not isolate pet verses, build doctrine on them and ignore the rest or try to force the rest to "conform" to a biased interpretation of a pet verse.
I love how people take these one or two verses and make the whole bible dependednt on these two. Instead of taking the whole bible. And using it to interpret these few verses.