Born Again Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
We must not compromise the gospel for the sake of unity elsewhere.
You would of course like @dcontroversal be referring to the exact same gospel spoken of by Jesus himself

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following.
Mark 16:

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
As a child, I grew up with my mother at various times (washing dishes, doing laundry) speaking in an unknown language..... I'd ask, "Mom, what are you saying? Who are you talking to?" She'd always answer, "I'm talking to Jesus. It's our own secret language." Well, that provoked me to jealousy and I got to thinking that I wanted my own secret language with Jesus too! lol! :giggle:

I was little, maybe 6 or 7 years old.... I went to church one night and got saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit. I knew I was saved, had soooooooo much love inside of me I thought I was gonna BURST! All I could do was grab my mom's Bible and start writing it word of word beginning in Genesis..... Sounds strange but, my fascination with God's Word was pretty INTENSE!!!

My parents were divorced so, at age 9 I went to live with my dad that did not take me to church. His mother, Grandma Liz took me to a Baptist Church which I LOVED!!! It was FULL of God's Word!! I enjoyed it very much.

Later, at age 25 my friend Laura took me to a charismatic church........well, that's where I got the Holy Spirit with the gift of speaking in tongues. It wasn't actually in the church it was later, when I was home - all alone. I began to pray and press in, seeking God with great desire and suddenly, so powerfully "SOMETHING" took possession of me and I began to speak in tongues......I saw and encountered so many spiritual realms - demons were trembling and running from me like coach roaches when the light is suddenly turned on and I could see them!

The Bible OPENED up - I was amazed at how I could read it and understand almost EVERYTHING I was reading! Absolutely AMAZING!

I'll post on the next post my experience so far with speaking in tongues..... :love:(y)
What did you say in tongues?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
As a child, I grew up with my mother at various times (washing dishes, doing laundry) speaking in an unknown language..... I'd ask, "Mom, what are you saying? Who are you talking to?" She'd always answer, "I'm talking to Jesus. It's our own secret language." Well, that provoked me to jealousy and I got to thinking that I wanted my own secret language with Jesus too! lol! :giggle:

I was little, maybe 6 or 7 years old.... I went to church one night and got saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit. I knew I was saved, had soooooooo much love inside of me I thought I was gonna BURST! All I could do was grab my mom's Bible and start writing it word of word beginning in Genesis..... Sounds strange but, my fascination with God's Word was pretty INTENSE!!!

My parents were divorced so, at age 9 I went to live with my dad that did not take me to church. His mother, Grandma Liz took me to a Baptist Church which I LOVED!!! It was FULL of God's Word!! I enjoyed it very much.

Later, at age 25 my friend Laura took me to a charismatic church........well, that's where I got the Holy Spirit with the gift of speaking in tongues. It wasn't actually in the church it was later, when I was home - all alone. I began to pray and press in, seeking God with great desire and suddenly, so powerfully "SOMETHING" took possession of me and I began to speak in tongues......I saw and encountered so many spiritual realms - demons were trembling and running from me like coach roaches when the light is suddenly turned on and I could see them!

The Bible OPENED up - I was amazed at how I could read it and understand almost EVERYTHING I was reading! Absolutely AMAZING!

I'll post on the next post my experience so far with speaking in tongues..... :love:(y)
Hello again@Bethohio1,

So, now my experience with the Lord in regards to the Holy Spirit's gift of speaking in tongues....

First, I only had one word "mes". I kept saying "mes" over and over, I began to question the Lord, "Is this You? Why only one word?"

Suddenly, a river opened up in my belly and I flowed with many words in another language.... I did not know what I was saying at the time. I later spoke the words I remembered to a Hispanic man I knew and he confirmed it was words of.... you're beautiful and you're my beloved and something about being a fisherman. lol! :giggle::giggle:

Anyways, now 25 plus years later, I've learned to ask for the gift of "interpretation of tongues." Now, it gets FUN!!! You can be speaking in tongues yet, you can hear "english" or your native tongue in your head as you're speaking in tongues!!! Amazing things! God's thoughts towards you!!! AMAZING!!! God's secrets that He wants you to know!!!

Both of these gifts are so needed in the Body of Christ today! Simply for edification, direction and instruction!!

We need to ask for BOTH - speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues!

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
dc, there is a difference between being sealed with the Holy Spirit and being baptized with the Holy Spirit.
No there ain't.
One is sealed with the Holy Spirit when one is baptised in the Holy Spirit.
One must seek for and pray to receive the indwelling Holy Spirit.
When a repentant believer receives the Holy Spirit they shall speak in a new tongue - they will be able to pray in the Holy Spirit.
It's all pretty simple and straightforward really.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
No there ain't.
One is sealed with the Holy Spirit when one is baptised in the Holy Spirit.
One must seek for and pray to receive the indwelling Holy Spirit.
When a repentant believer receives the Holy Spirit they shall speak in a new tongue - they will be able to pray in the Holy Spirit.
It's all pretty simple and straightforward really.

John 20:19-23 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Appears to His Disciples
19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders,(A) Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace(B) be with you!”(C) 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side.(D) The disciples were overjoyed(E) when they saw the Lord.

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you!(F) As the Father has sent me,(G) I am sending you.”(H) 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.(I) 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”(J)

Later, at Pentecost they were baptized in the Holy Spirit.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Hello again@Bethohio1,

So, now my experience with the Lord in regards to the Holy Spirit's gift of speaking in tongues....

First, I only had one word "mes". I kept saying "mes" over and over, I began to question the Lord, "Is this You? Why only one word?"

Suddenly, a river opened up in my belly and I flowed with many words in another language.... I did not know what I was saying at the time. I later spoke the words I remembered to a Hispanic man I knew and he confirmed it was words of.... you're beautiful and you're my beloved and something about being a fisherman. lol! :giggle::giggle:

Anyways, now 25 plus years later, I've learned to ask for the gift of "interpretation of tongues." Now, it gets FUN!!! You can be speaking in tongues yet, you can hear "english" or your native tongue in your head as you're speaking in tongues!!! Amazing things! God's thoughts towards you!!! AMAZING!!! God's secrets that He wants you to know!!!

Both of these gifts are so needed in the Body of Christ today! Simply for edification, direction and instruction!!

We need to ask for BOTH - speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues!
So you spoke in Spanish? Mes means "month" or "moon" in Spanish.

PLEASE be careful with this secret knowledge stuff. That is a dangerous road to go down.

Dec 12, 2013
You would of course like @dcontroversal be referring to the exact same gospel spoken of by Jesus himself

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following.
Mark 16:
Except for the fact the last part of Mark has been added....but hey....religion must bind men down under religious hoop jumping hey....

Drink any bleach lately?

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Yeshua/Jesus "breathes" on His disciples and says, "Receive the Holy Spirit" occurs in John 20:22.
That only occurs once to my recollection - and it is never repeated again in Acts or taught in the epistles.
From Acts 2:4 - the description of believing the gospel unto salvation is Acts 2:38 and this is what now happens to
everybody in the first and only church of the NT.

Dec 12, 2013
That's right - the word of God is not true and unreliable for doctrine …
Concerning the last part of Mark....you got that right!!

Of course I fully expect you in bias to reject the truth if what I just said.....see how that works out for you

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
That only occurs once to my recollection - and it is never repeated again in Acts or taught in the epistles.
From Acts 2:4 - the description of believing the gospel unto salvation is Acts 2:38 and this is what now happens to
everybody in the first and only church of the NT.
Don't we all call upon the Name of Yeshua/Jesus for salvation? He is no longer on the Earth, the Holy Spirit is. Yet, He (Yeshua/Jesus) hears us from Heaven and cleanses us, seals us and baptizes us with the Holy Spirit... How does He do this? LOOK! SEE! All the realms are connected.

Everyone is missing the BIG PICTURE! Open your eyes see the Heavenly Realm, the Spiritual Realm and the Physical Realm!!!

If you can't see them all, at least see GOD's LOVE for you! Believe He loves you! Believe Yeshua/Jesus has been sent to save you! There is NO OTHER - Yeshua/Jesus is the ONLY Savior! ALL TRUTH comes from the Holy Spirit opening up God's Word to you! RECEIVE! :love:(y)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Except for the fact the last part of Mark has been added....but hey....religion must bind men down under religious hoop jumping hey....
dc, define the "last part of Mark" that was added.....

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
So you spoke in Spanish? Mes means "month" or "moon" in Spanish.

PLEASE be careful with this secret knowledge stuff. That is a dangerous road to go down.
No worries, @PennEd, anything spoken in secret is confirmed in God's Word. Never contrary. :love:(y)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
ok. you say you do not see where the Holy Spirit is received as in 'Baptism' ...( John said Jesus would baptize with fire and this is what he meant by that. folks here seem to think it is obligatory to leave that out...inconvenient truth etc IMO'...) but actually you have it all figured out that folks were saved WITHOUT the Holy Spirit and where does that happen? ummm? never? you seem to agree that we are sealed with the Spirit of God upon conversion but you do not acknowledge that the Holy Spirit came a different way on the day of Pentecost to those gathered in the upper room. you dismiss it and say they had not received the Holy Spirit yet...which means they were not really saved
In Matthew 3:11, we read - As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. In John 7:38-39, we read - He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. Believers were still saved prior to this event (John 1:12; 20:31), otherwise, prior to Pentecost, everyone remained lost. I NEVER said that the Holy Spirit did not come in a different way on the day of Pentecost to those gathered in the upper room. I don't dismiss it. That is a straw man argument.

*Acts 2:1 - When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

that doesn't sound just a little bit off color some how? they were saved. they believed in Jesus...what does the Bible say? seems to say that salvation is belief in Jesus (meaning all His work etc for us and the fact He is our High Priest etc etc) so you are actually saying no one saved in the Upper Room? they could not be without the Holy Spirit
When did I say that no one in the upper room was saved? :unsure: Salvation is through believing in Jesus (John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26; 20:31; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31 etc..)

what was the purpose of the Holy Spirit descending then? well if they were not saved, then the purpose of the Holy Spirit descending on those in the upper room must have HAD to have been to CONVICT them of sin so they would accept Jesus.
that is logic and scripture.

but that is not what happened. what happened was the fulfillment of the prophecy by John that Jesus would baptize with fire...a symbol of the Holy Spirit. people (well some anyway) confuse this baptism with a general experience everyone has but they do not all have this experience because many do not believe in it!
I never said the purpose of being filled with the Holy Spirit in the upper room was to convict these believers of sin and save them. I understand what took placed was the fulfillment of what was spoken by the prophet Joel. (Acts 2:14-16)

not to be rude or anything, but what does where you wife grew up, or whatever experience she or anyone else that is NOT scriptural, have to do with actual scripture?
witches and other variant demonic cults speak in tongues and that does what exactly? makes the Bible wrong somehow? (I realize that is not what you are saying, but you are not in accord with scripture. THEY WERE ALREADY SAVED IN THE UPPER ROOM. either that, or the Holy Spirit convicted them to be saved. LOGIC. no other way or explanation.

some of these excuses people relate sound more like the spies who gave a negative report to Moses
The point that I was making about where my wife grew up (that apparently went right over your head) that in the book of Acts, there were some occasions in which the receiving of the Holy Spirit was delayed until the apostles laid hands on them (and there was a reason for that) yet this was the exception and not the rule for all, yet the LDS and RLDS made it the rule for all. It's the same with tongues. Not everyone experiences what took place in Acts 2:4, yet certain people want to turn the exception into the rule for all. So you acknowledge, not all tongues are authentic, but we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

oh gee that's nice. let's just keep talking about how folks do not follow scriptural instruction and make excuses. excuses are not reasons.
:rolleyes:

as far as people acting superior goes, there are thousands of saved and satisfied cessationists who look down their noses at those who are not cessationist.
It's a two way street. I don't look down my nose at cessationists or non cessationists.

please. let's not focus on what is wrong about Christians anywhere and everywhere cause they come in all sizes and beliefs :rolleyes:
Yet genuine Christians do not pervert the gospel.

I don't see in scripture where baptism with the Holy Spirit happens under two separate occasions. I see where ALL believers are baptized by one Spirit into one body (1 Corinthians 12:13) and certain believers are "filled" with the Holy Spirit to accomplish specific tasks, as we saw at Pentecost when they began to speak in other tongues and those listening heard them speak in their own language.

I just showed you in scripture where it is TWO DISTINCT things that occur regarding the Holy Spirit. but if you want to think that no one was saved, which is nonsense, then you will continue to say only one thing occurs. later on, I'm going to include more on this, but I have other things on the menu today too and better get to them
ALL believers being baptized by one Spirit into one body (1 Corinthians 12:13) and certain believers being "filled" with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues (Acts 2:4) are two distinct things. Not all believers speak in tongues (1 Corinthians 12)

well you can't be as discerning as you need to be without the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. which occurs either with salvation at times or later. it is not salvation. it is empowerment which is what the Bible states it is and Jesus said it was and John the Baptist said was coming. and is in fact here now and has been since Peter stood up and witnessed for his Savior
You mean being "filled" with the Holy Spirit? So those who believe the gospel and are sealed with the Holy Spirit (have received the indwelling Holy Spirit/baptized by one Spirit into one body - Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 12:13) are still in need of an "additional" baptism in the Holy Spirit (Matthew 3:11) in order to receive empowerment and otherwise, such believers simply wonder the earth as carnal Christians with no discernment and are powerless? Is that what you are saying? :unsure:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
the baptism of the Holy Spirit is NOT happening at salvation but can but can also happen apart from salvation and God will NOT benefit those who seek for the wrong reasons

In general and to all:

its all there in the Bible and so is what Paul taught concerning tongues and the other gifts

deny it at your own risk
People deny the gospel at their own risk and speaking in tongues is not the gospel.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

Mark 16:
Are you claiming that the gospel "is" those who believe and are baptized and all these signs above will follow or else you won't be saved? :unsure:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Concerning the last part of Mark....you got that right!!

Of course I fully expect you in bias to reject the truth if what I just said.....see how that works out for you
Amen! Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the ONE requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.