Breastplate of Righteousness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
This is a continuation of a series I typed up.

Armor of God
Ephesians 6

• Intro
  • Counterintelligence
  • Strategical Planning
  • Bootcamp/Operational Training
  • Assembly Phase Subsections
1. Belt of Truth
2. Breastplate of righteousness
3. Sandals of the Gospel of Peace
4.The Helmet of Salvation
5. The Shield of Faith
6. Sword of the Spirit (Word of God)
  • Combat Support (Prayer]
  • D-Day (the day on which an important operation is to begin or a change to take effect.)
  • Recruitment- The Great Commission
Assembly Phase
The Armor

2. Breastplate of Righteousness
(with the breastplate of righteousness in place,)

Slide 6
127px-Roman_soldier_in_lorica_segmentata_1-cropped.jpg

Righteousness is given to those who respond in faith. To be in a righteous state we must be
in Christ. Christ is the example of righteousness. Without sin is to be in the right with God.

Hebrews 11:7 (NIV) 7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear
built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of
the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

Genesis 15:4-6 (NIV) 4 Then the word of the Lord came to him: “This man will not be your
heir, but a son who is your own flesh and blood will be your heir.” 5 He took him outside
and said, “Look up at the sky and count the stars—if indeed you can count them.” Then he
said to him, “So shall your offspring be.”6 Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to
him as righteousness.

Romans 4:18-25 (NIV) 18 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the
father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” 19
Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since
he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. 20 Yet he did not
waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God but was strengthened in his faith and
gave glory to God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had
promised. 22 This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.”
23 The words “it
was credited to him” were written not for him alone, 24 but also for us, to whom God
will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from
the dead. 25 He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our
justification.

Romans 1:16-17 (NIV) 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of
God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. 17
For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by
faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

Ephesians 2:8-9(NIV) 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is
not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

In conclusion we are only seen righteous once we believe/respond in faith in the message of the Gospel. An unwavering, fully persuaded belief and as in the example of Noah who became an heir of righteousness that is in keeping with the faith.

Romans 1:17 says righteousness that is by
faith from first to last but also known as from faith to faith. Being in this state of
righteousness is a transitional process that we must remain faithful and must be obedient.

Not in righteous works but by faith alone.
The Roman soldier’s breastplate would obviously protect the heart and other vital organs.

Proverbs 4:23 (NIV) says, “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows
from it.”

A blow or arrow to the heart would typically end the life of an individual. A darkened heart is the image of a soul that is on the path to destruction. A path that will end in soul death.

Matthew 5:8 (NIV) 8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God

Guard your heart from the all opposition.

(Side note: Many people do not understand the difference between belief and faith interchangeably or treat the words as the same. But in the original Greek language, the word for faith and belief are not the same word but similar. Scripture speaks on that there is a gift or God given faith but also there is a belief or mankind’s response of faith. This scripture includes both words in the same verse.

Hebrews 11:6 New International Version (NIV) 6 And without faith it is impossible to
please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he
rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Here are two examples:

John 6:28-29 New International Version (NIV)
28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

The Greek word here for believe is different than the scriptures that refer to faith as a gift.

We have pisteuo
4100 pisteúō (from 4102 /pístis, "faith," derived from 3982 /peíthō, "persuade, be
persuaded") – believe (affirm, have confidence); used of persuading oneself (= human
believing) and with the sacred significance of being persuaded by the Lord
(= faith￾believing). Only the context indicates whether 4100 /pisteúō ("believe") is self￾serving (without sacred meaning), or the believing that leads to/proceeds from God's in birthing of faith

Ephesians 2:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

4102 Faith (4102/pistis) is always a gift from God, and never something that can be
produced by people. In short, 4102/pistis ("faith") for the believer is "God's divine
persuasion" – and therefore distinct from human belief
(confidence) yet involving it. The
Lord continuously births faith in the yielded believer so they can know what He prefers, i.e.
the persuasion of His will (1 Jn 5:4).

We will discuss more on the importance of faith in the shield of faith section.

Discussion Questions:
1. In what ways are you comforted in knowing that God views you as righteous?
2. Do you understand the difference between the rationality of belief in comparison to
supernatural faith?

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Righteousness. I had a hard time when I was first saved thinking of myself as righteous. For while I still thought righteousness was something I had to do or a way of behaving.

It wasn't the the first time I read through the teaching in Ephesians but one day The Holy Spirit really opened it up for me. Oh! It's HIS righteousness! No wonder the apostle calls this the armour of God.
THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD is the breastplate I need to put on!

Discussion Questions:

I'm comforted because it's His righteousness, not mine. Therefore, if I put it on I can't mess it up.

Righteousness. When I was first saved I had a hard time thinking of myself as anything like righteous. For a while I still thought righteousness was something I had to achieve or a way of behaving.

It wasn't the the first time I read through the teaching in Ephesians but one day The Holy Spirit really opened it up for me. Oh! It's HIS righteousness! No wonder the apostle calls this the armour of God!

THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD is the breastplate I need to put on. He gives us protective gear that the devil cannot breach.
Without the armour of God my vitals are exposed and vulnerable to attack. If I had to make my own armour I wouldn't stand a chance.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Romans 8:31-39
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Righteousness. I had a hard time when I was first saved thinking of myself as righteous. For while I still thought righteousness was something I had to do or a way of behaving.

It wasn't the the first time I read through the teaching in Ephesians but one day The Holy Spirit really opened it up for me. Oh! It's HIS righteousness! No wonder the apostle calls this the armour of God.

Discussion Questions:

I'm comforted because it's His righteousness, not mine. Therefore, if I put it on I can't mess it up.

Righteousness. When I was first saved I had a hard time thinking of myself as anything like righteous. For a while I still thought righteousness was something I had to achieve or a way of behaving.

It wasn't the the first time I read through the teaching in Ephesians but one day The Holy Spirit really opened it up for me. Oh! It's HIS righteousness! No wonder the apostle calls this the armour of God!

THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD is the breastplate I need to put on. He gives us protective gear that the devil cannot breach.
Without the armour of God my vitals are exposed and vulnerable to attack. If I had to make my own armour I wouldn't stand a chance.
I think everyone struggles with this at first and even fall into doubts or temptations as Satan tries to tell us we are no good.

But also everyone should feel this way in knowing that to call myself righteous without Christ is silly once the concept of sin and God's standards hit us with reality.

In Christ is the only way to be seen righteous. In faith of our Savior and mediator.

The group I was teaching had doubts on the security they had in Christ as to why I tried to push the reality that in Christ we are righteous and any other voice that tries to say otherwise isnt of God but either by the voices of evil or the foolish.

righteous.jpg

justification.jpg

Mar 28, 2016

Discussion Questions:

I am comforted to understand we can know God not seen. And understand that it is he who alone does teach us, informing us to call no man on earth teacher, Master. Reminding us what he has already taught us . I can remember when the words : "and bring all things to our remembrance", as comforting word. . they jumped off the page.

John 14:26 But the
Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Comforting words giving us a hope that our new faith might be increased . Humbling our new hearts not to murmur. Knowing it is God who does work in us as Emanuel. . to both will and do his good pleasure.

He promises us In Hebrew 6 of the better things that accompanies salvation . ..He will not forget the good works we offer towards his name that works in our bodies of death.

For it is
God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings: Philippians2:13-14

You could say just as he taught us beforehand in the previous Chapter 1:6 .

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:philippians1:6