Bride of Christ - who is She?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2021
It has been requested by a Member - "can you prove from scripture that the church is the Bride of Christ?"

So let us begin - Bride of Christ - who is She?

Will the Real Bride of Christ please Stand.......
When these things begin to happen, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Please provide evidence from Scripture of 'the Bride of Christ' - Thank You

Aug 2, 2021
Here we go - John 3:22-29

After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized. Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there. And they came and were baptized. For John had not yet been thrown into prison.

Then there arose a dispute between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purification. And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!”

John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent before Him.’
He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice.

S

SaltwaterGirl

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

- Ephesians 5:25-27 (NKJV)

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
Here we go - John 3:22-29

After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized. Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there. And they came and were baptized. For John had not yet been thrown into prison.

Then there arose a dispute between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purification. And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!”

John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent before Him.’
He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice.
That's a good verse... here are a few others:

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
Here Paul refers to the church as being espoused to one husband - Christ. He also desires to present the church as a chaste virgin. Both are bridal language. He continues this thought in the next verse by comparing the church to Eve:
2Co 11:3a But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty...

Another can be found in Ephesians chapter 5, where many parallels can be drawn to a bride:

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

This is certainly the language of Love. In each case, Christ is her head, she is to be in subjection to Him, Christ's love is poured out for her. He will present her in glory.

Still another set of verses are by association. The Lamb of God and Jesus Christ are one and the same. If we except that all of the verses so far listed are about a Bride, then we can except that the Bride and the Church are one and the same. This then brings us to:

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

These verses, in Revelation, have amazing parallel to what was stated in John 3:29

S

SaltwaterGirl

Can you hear them? heyyyy; the wedding bells have begun to ring! ....well, wait a minute; not quite yet, but it won't be long, and it's getting closer every day! ….uh-oh, it appears that half of "the Bride" will not make it. In fact, when they finally show up, God will say, "I never knew you."

"Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. "Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. "Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, "but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. "But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!' "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. "And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' "But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.' "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut. "Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!' "But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.' "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

- Matthew 25:1-13 (NKJV)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused* you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. (2 Cor 11:2)

* Strong's Concordance
harmozó: to fit, join, hence to join oneself to (in marriage)
Original Word: ἁρμόζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: harmozó
Phonetic Spelling: (har-mod'-zo)
Definition: to fit, join, to join oneself to (in marriage)
Usage: I fit, join; mid: (the middle indicating deep personal interest)
I espouse, betroth; mid: I take a wife, give in marriage.

Betrothal at that time was equivalent to engagement today. So Christ is the divine Husband and the Church will be the Lamb's wife.

Aug 2, 2021
Can you hear them? heyyyy; the wedding bells have begun to ring! ....well, wait a minute; not quite yet, but it won't be long, and it's getting closer every day! ….uh-oh, it appears that half of "the Bride" will not make it. In fact, when they finally show up, God will say, "I never knew you."

"Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. "Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. "Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, "but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. "But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!' "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. "And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' "But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.' "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut. "Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!' "But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.' "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

- Matthew 25:1-13 (NKJV)
Do you know what this means, when Christ says "I do not know you"

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
It has been requested by a Member - "can you prove from scripture that the church is the Bride of Christ?"

So let us begin - Bride of Christ - who is She?

Will the Real Bride of Christ please Stand.......
When these things begin to happen, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Hi David,

This is so important for it leads to where our inheritance is.

People have been taught wrong, I believe, as to -

Eph. 5: 22 - 31. The word in NOT `her,` but `it`, referring to the BODY of Christ. This scripture is an exhortation for husbands to love their wives as Christ does His BODY.

2 Cor. 11: 2. Here Paul is talking to his disciples saying that he wants to present them to the Lord, pure. However Paul does NOT present us to the Lord, it is the Lord Himself who presents us to Himself. (Jude 24)

None of these scriptures teach who the Bride is.

Now in God`s word He uses the symbol of the `bride` for two purposes.

1. In time - Israel is the bride and God is the husband, meaning, master. (Isa. 54: 5 & 6)

2. In eternity - the New Jerusalem (OT saints Heb. 11: 16) is described as a bride, because of the glory of God. (Rev. 21: 2 & 11)

And note - the Body of Christ`s inheritance is with Christ on His throne in the highest realm. (Rev. 3: 21)

Marilyn.

Aug 2, 2021
Hi David,

This is so important for it leads to where our inheritance is.

People have been taught wrong, I believe, as to -

Eph. 5: 22 - 31. The word in NOT `her,` but `it`, referring to the BODY of Christ. This scripture is an exhortation for husbands to love their wives as Christ does His BODY.

2 Cor. 11: 2. Here Paul is talking to his disciples saying that he wants to present them to the Lord, pure. However Paul does NOT present us to the Lord, it is the Lord Himself who presents us to Himself. (Jude 24)

None of these scriptures teach who the Bride is.

Now in God`s word He uses the symbol of the `bride` for two purposes.

1. In time - Israel is the bride and God is the husband, meaning, master. (Isa. 54: 5 & 6)

2. In eternity - the New Jerusalem (OT saints Heb. 11: 16) is described as a bride, because of the glory of God. (Rev. 21: 2 & 11)

And note - the Body of Christ`s inheritance is with Christ on His throne in the highest realm. (Rev. 3: 21)

Marilyn.
Amen Marilyn, just this verse makes my heart leap with joy = He who has the bride is the bridegroom;

Christ has us - not just as His Children - but He really has us and won't let go and won't let another pluck us from His embrace.

Aug 2, 2021
Has anyone fully grasped this in Ephesians 2:6 = this is a marriage term:

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Probably a repeat by this time but here is what I have compiled:

The bride of Christ is written as a singular female however she is actually composed of a huge number of men and women (Christians). So is there one bride or many? The many form a singular. It is the same way with the Trinity. Three composing a single God does not equal 3 Gods despite that there are three of them in the Trinity. The three form a singular God.

Christians are the bride:

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Here we are told plainly that the example of a man and his wife being of one flesh is about Christ and the church.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Here again it is Christians that will marry Christ who was raised from the dead.

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Spoken to Christians, the church, being presented as Virgins in a spiritual sense.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev_17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

If a woman "Babylon" also called a city can represent a group of unsaved people then certainly the bride of Christ, a group of saved people, can be represented as a city "New Jerusalem" as well.

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
Probably a repeat by this time but here is what I have compiled:

The bride of Christ is written as a singular female however she is actually composed of a huge number of men and women (Christians). So is there one bride or many? The many form a singular. It is the same way with the Trinity. Three composing a single God does not equal 3 Gods despite that there are three of them in the Trinity. The three form a singular God.

Christians are the bride:

Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Here we are told plainly that the example of a man and his wife being of one flesh is about Christ and the church.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Here again it is Christians that will marry Christ who was raised from the dead.

Spoken to Christians, the church, being presented as Virgins in a spiritual sense.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev_17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

If a woman "Babylon" also called a city can represent a group of unsaved people then certainly the bride of Christ, a group of saved people, can be represented as a city "New Jerusalem" as well.
Hi ewq,

Eph. 5: 28 & 29 passage is not doctrinal, but an exhortation and illustrative. It is a metaphor regarding devotion and affection, definitely not marriage. As Christ loved His Body - the church; so husbands ought to love their body - ie, their wives.

Rom. 7: 4 `Should be married to another.` Married, not Gk, `Gamed` but `Ginomai,` meaning `might become.` Compare v. 13 `might become.`

Now the `city,` the New Jerusalem was promised to the Old Testament saints, (Heb. 11: 16) which comes DOWN out of heaven, while the Body of Christ is with the Lord on His throne IN the highest. (Rev. 3: 21)

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
It is a metaphor regarding devotion and affection, definitely not marriage.

No, it's definitely marriage. I'll highlight everything marriage related:

The whole thing is about comparing a marriage between man and wife and the marriage between Christ and his Church.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Eph. 5: 28 & 29 passage is not doctrinal, but an exhortation and illustrative.
That is quite incorrect. The doctrine of the Bride of Christ is throughout the NT. And the Marriage of the Lamb is plainly described in Revelation 19.

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
No, it's definitely marriage. I'll highlight everything marriage related:

The whole thing is about comparing a marriage between man and wife and the marriage between Christ and his Church.
There is no marriage in heaven.

`For when they rise from the dead they neither marry, not are given in marriage, but are like the angels in heaven.` (Mark 12: 25)

We will be like Christ, male & not have sexual apparatus, but are the NEW MAN. (Eph. 2: 15)

Christ is the Head - male, and His Body is male - the New man.

We are kingpriests, NOT Queenpriests.

Marilyn.

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
That is quite incorrect. The doctrine of the Bride of Christ is throughout the NT. And the Marriage of the Lamb is plainly described in Revelation 19.
There is no scripture saying `the Bride of Christ.` It is all assumption based upon an exhortation. And that is NOT what doctrine is to be based on.

The marriage of the Lamb, is symbolic of Christ connecting again with Israel when He returns to deliver them. (Zech. 12: 10)

The Bible is NOT all about US, but for us to read and learn about - CHRIST AND HIS PURPOSES for the Body of Christ, for Israel and for the nations.

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
Hmmmmm,I rember reading about Israel being God's wife and him having given her a bill of divorce.
They at this time are his estranged wife.
The bride of Christ is the body of Christ of whom he is head.
Bible also teaches me that in heaven,we shall be known as we were known.....sounds sexist to turn us all into males.

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
Hmmmmm,I rember reading about Israel being God's wife and him having given her a bill of divorce.
They at this time are his estranged wife.
The bride of Christ is the body of Christ of whom he is head.
Bible also teaches me that in heaven,we shall be known as we were known.....sounds sexist to turn us all into males.
It is the NEW MAN - with both a male and female nature. eg, adventurous & nurturing. Remember that God made us both, and He, yes He is called the `big breasted one,` a nuturer.

Israel will again be reunited with its master, its husband. (Isa. 54: 5) `For your Maker is YOUR HUSBAND, the Lord of hosts is His name.`

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God andto the Lamb. Rev.14:4

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There is no scripture saying `the Bride of Christ.` It is all assumption based upon an exhortation. And that is NOT what doctrine is to be based on.
There are plenty of Scriptures speaking about the Bride of Christ and the Wife of the Lamb. If you chose to be wilfully ignorant, that is your problem.