Not too long ago I saw a post on social media with an amusing picture of a couple standing in a fast food establishment in a food court checking out the menu. Nothing strange about that until I took a closer look. The lady in the picture was holding a live chicken at an establishment known for its great chicken meals (Alas! I have to admit it was in my home town, so you can imagine the sheepish look of embarrassment on my face as I share this story.
But then, amusement aside, the thought occurred to me: "Isn't this how I have approached God at times?" When I have a problem that I need to be dealt with, or a request, do I not show up "with my own chicken?" How often have I been guilty of asking God for Him to intervene in some situation and then kind of laid out my game-plan for Him to follow? So its like,"Lord I ask you to help me with such and such, for I cannot do it on my own. To whom can I turn but to You oh Father?" Then "So lord this is how i want this to play out. I was thinking...."
Instead of relying totally on His wisdom and surrendering totally to His will (granted, this is a continuous learning curve for all of us) I can get so caught up in my own agenda that, without knowing it I show up "with my own chicken..." and so lose out on the far better plan that He has for me.
Scripture says in Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." Submit to Him and He will sort it out! Submit to Him and HE will hook you up. Submit to Him and He will provide direction, counsel, wisdom... whatever is needed He will do it. The key and it doesn't always come easily to us, is submit.
But then, amusement aside, the thought occurred to me: "Isn't this how I have approached God at times?" When I have a problem that I need to be dealt with, or a request, do I not show up "with my own chicken?" How often have I been guilty of asking God for Him to intervene in some situation and then kind of laid out my game-plan for Him to follow? So its like,"Lord I ask you to help me with such and such, for I cannot do it on my own. To whom can I turn but to You oh Father?" Then "So lord this is how i want this to play out. I was thinking...."
Instead of relying totally on His wisdom and surrendering totally to His will (granted, this is a continuous learning curve for all of us) I can get so caught up in my own agenda that, without knowing it I show up "with my own chicken..." and so lose out on the far better plan that He has for me.
Scripture says in Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." Submit to Him and He will sort it out! Submit to Him and HE will hook you up. Submit to Him and He will provide direction, counsel, wisdom... whatever is needed He will do it. The key and it doesn't always come easily to us, is submit.