Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MoonCresta

Ok - here goes - I love this show. Jake and his whole team are so great and fun to watch (noic! toit!) This show is so big in the UK (English Chick - have you seen this?) I got hooked on it when we were living there.

I know, I know, Captain Holt is gay and Rosa comes out as bi in season 5 or 6. I've always found it fairly easy to bleep over these things in my mind as I'm watching.

Basically, what I'm presenting to the group here, is how much do you insulate yourselves from what's in the world? Here's me: (1) basically unless the topics get sacrilegious, at which I'll never watch again, or (2) homosexuality is a primary theme throughout the show, or the (3) language is gratuitously foul or the show focuses only on sexual themes (Two and a Half Men comes to mind), I'll keep watching.

For the first example, I had to stop watching the Simpsons after season 12; the second - (I don't know, I've never watched a show where homosexuality is the primary theme - they are probably out there, but I've never seen them - (take that back I've heard that Ru Paul was pretty big in the UK); the third, anything with say Gordon Ramsey or Charlie Sheen in it.

Yeah, that's my question: how much do you insulate yourselves from what's in the world, and is it good for us to do that - is it wrong not to? Should we be more like the Amish?

M

MoonCresta

By the way, we should have a Movies and Books Forum here!

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Ok - here goes - I love this show. Jake and his whole team are so great and fun to watch (noic! toit!) This show is so big in the UK (English Chick - have you seen this?) I got hooked on it when we were living there.

I know, I know, Captain Holt is gay and Rosa comes out as bi in season 5 or 6. I've always found it fairly easy to bleep over these things in my mind as I'm watching.

Basically, what I'm presenting to the group here, is how much do you insulate yourselves from what's in the world? Here's me: (1) basically unless the topics get sacrilegious, at which I'll never watch again, or (2) homosexuality is a primary theme throughout the show, or the (3) language is gratuitously foul or the show focuses only on sexual themes (Two and a Half Men comes to mind), I'll keep watching.

For the first example, I had to stop watching the Simpsons after season 12; the second - (I don't know, I've never watched a show where homosexuality is the primary theme - they are probably out there, but I've never seen them - (take that back I've heard that Ru Paul was pretty big in the UK); the third, anything with say Gordon Ramsey or Charlie Sheen in it.

Yeah, that's my question: how much do you insulate yourselves from what's in the world, and is it good for us to do that - is it wrong not to? Should we be more like the Amish?
Mostly it depends on your spiritual state. I am way more sensitive now than I was 30 years ago. I can watch the early Star Wars movies but not the later ones, which are darker and more occult. I tried to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark again. I turned it off after a few minutes, wondering how I could have enjoyed it in the first place. Hiding from the world is not the answer. Being led by conscience surely is the safest guide. I could not watch the Simpsons or South Park. There is a lot of entertainment that is Antichrist, as are a lot the entertainers themselves. Somehow being famous makes such "celebrities" experts on everything. They are too full of themselves to realise that they would have nothing if it were not for the industries that they condemn.

The question should be, is this helping my Christian life or harming it? God can and does speak through secular movies. But we need to be very careful that we are not absorbing godless principles that hinder our walk with Christ.

T

TheIndianGirl

I don't insulate myself too much. I watch sitcoms, drama series, etc. where homosexuality, sleeping together outside of marriage, and having kids outside of marriage is presented as normal. The way I see it, such depictions are realities of life. It's not like we are being introduced to these topics only through TV, all we have to do is go outside our homes and observe/ talk to people. One show I watch has a gay Anglican minister (Coronation Street) but that is also a reality as many ministers in the Anglican/Episcopal churches are now gay. If show presents views that differ from mine, all I do is acknowledge that such views exist. Where I get uncomfortable is when the show presents Jesus or Christians in a demeaning/disrespectful way (South Park, Bless the Harts, etc.).

T

TheIndianGirl

The guy who portrays Jesus in Bless the Harts in an atheist.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
By the way, we should have a Movies and Books Forum here!
People are always making threads for these and they rarely last more than a week.
And new subforums don't really get added due to the intent to keep the number down purposefully.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Brooklyn Nine Nine is great. Me and my gf have been watching it together, slowly, for a while.

Schitt's Creek was one show that pushed the gay/gender stuff a bit too much. The son, who had no preferences to gender of any kind, was often highlighted. His gay romance with a previously straight guy was often made central. Meanwhile his heterosexual sisters romance was pretty much flushed down the toilet as a big failure, favoring thinly veiled feminism instead.
Could've been a good show had it not been so blatantly politicized.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The fully committed Spirit filled Christians I know eschew television.

M

MoonCresta

People are always making threads for these and they rarely last more than a week.
And new subforums don't really get added due to the intent to keep the number down purposefully.
Too bad, but understood. I would like to see other people's views and opinions on books like Unbroken.
Mostly it depends on your spiritual state. I am way more sensitive now than I was 30 years ago. I can watch the early Star Wars movies but not the later ones, which are darker and more occult. I tried to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark again. I turned it off after a few minutes, wondering how I could have enjoyed it in the first place. Hiding from the world is not the answer. Being led by conscience surely is the safest guide. I could not watch the Simpsons or South Park. There is a lot of entertainment that is Antichrist, as are a lot the entertainers themselves. Somehow being famous makes such "celebrities" experts on everything. They are too full of themselves to realise that they would have nothing if it were not for the industries that they condemn.

The question should be, is this helping my Christian life or harming it? God can and does speak through secular movies. But we need to be very careful that we are not absorbing godless principles that hinder our walk with Christ.
I love how you say you're way more sensitive now - me too - that's God working with us in our lives! Isn't that great? I didn't make it past my first episode of South Park - just over the top vulgarity, however, I do own the first twelve seasons of the Simpsons. Started getting way too sacrilegious - even in the first twelve seasons there are episodes I skip watching because I know what's coming. But I cannot take my God being blasphemed in front of me - that's the main reason I turn off shows now. And by the end of season twelve, Simpsons started going there every other episode.

And thank you! Yes, I love how God does insert himself in secular movies - I've noticed that a lot, but I never knew how to phrase my praise for them. Bustin Loose (Richard Pryor) is one of those. Richard Pryor, vulgar as they come, manages to spread a lovely message of hope and cheer while addressing some very tough issues. Sometimes I wonder if the creators of the movies look back later and think, 'wow, that's a very Christian message we just delivered - did we mean to do that?" I think that's the inner desire that's within every man and woman to get closer to their creator subliminally peaking out.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Pleased to see your post, MC, He is indeed working in us , conforming us to the image of the Son, line upon line and precept upon precept, as long as we continue to draw near to him, He will always continue to draw near to us.
bless you in Jesus name

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
No no no! Tv watching was what you USED to use to distinguish yourself from lesser Christians. Now you use mask wearing and vaccine acceptance.

Try to keep track here. How are you going to prove you are better than other Christians if you can't even remember which method you are using right now?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Your life must be a very painful experience from the way you post, you have my sympathy.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Your life must be a very painful experience from the way you post, you have my sympathy.
You have already used that line. And actually my life is mostly fun, especially the parts where I pick at self-righteous people.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
you miss the mark again.
You demonstrate for all here to see that you yourself are self righteous in doing so.

DeanM

May 4, 2021
Modern TV and films dont interest me much for a variety of reasons. The promotion of perversion being one along with the lack of talent. Most media, to me, is nothing but a platform for the latest politcal talking point. Even comic books include the nonsense. I watch classic films and older TV series mostly.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Good point DeanM, a sign of the times perhaps, the remakes of the old classics are lacking as well. I recall my grandson and I coming upon a broadcast of the first Mr. Ed, he laughed and laughed.
Even the remake of Willy Wonka turned out weird.
Many we know are taking these shows in and they are affecting them.

Blazing Saddles was a dandy that could not be remade today.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Good point DeanM, a sign of the times perhaps, the remakes of the old classics are lacking as well. I recall my grandson and I coming upon a broadcast of the first Mr. Ed, he laughed and laughed.
Even the remake of Willy Wonka turned out weird.
Many we know are taking these shows in and they are affecting them.

Blazing Saddles was a dandy that could not be remade today.
Wait, what? If people who watch TV are not real christians, how do you know blazing saddles was good? You'd better repent, you heretic! :p

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Actually picking at you is probably kind of bad form... Let's try again.

There are ways to say "This is bad and Christians should not do it" without calling people who do it "not real christians."

In this case it is possible to say "There is so much bad on TV these days that I think Christians should just avoid it altogether" without saying "REAL Christians avoid TV."

It's also possible to say "I think Christians should avoid wearing masks" without saying "People who wear masks aren't real Christians, they only claim to be."

However...

If you really meant what you have been saying all this time, and you honestly believe all these people are not "real" Christians because they do things you think Christians should not do... you have more, bigger problems than all the people you think are not real Christians.

DeanM

May 4, 2021
I like Blazing Saddles. :) I wanted to like some of the DC shows but gay characters just for the sake of having them ruined it for me. Of course comics themselves have went off the rails too.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I like Blazing Saddles. :) I wanted to like some of the DC shows but gay characters just for the sake of having them ruined it for me. Of course comics themselves have went off the rails too.
Ugh, yes! It's the most blatant form of fan service.

Don't even get me started on how they ruined Battlestar Galactica with all the pseudo-religious junk.