H
Harley_Angel
Guest
I don't know what to do. My little brother is 16. He is headstrong, has a sass mouth, and doesn't like doing as he's told. His grades suffer because, even though he is brilliant, he's lazy. That being said, he is still a good kid. He doesn't smoke, doesn't have sex, doesn't do drugs, or drink, or steal. He sneaks out of the house to go play guitar in the park, which, while is breaking the rules, isn't the worse that can happen.
My stepfather (my brother's biological father) smoked weed throughout my entire adolescence. He was always very angry, very stubborn, and emotionally abusive. He never hit me, and other than yelling at me and making me feel worthless all the time, there was never any physical violence.
He has stopped smoking pot and has picked up drinking instead. When my brother disobeys, my dad screams and yells and calls him worthless and lazy. My brother gets defensive and incites my dad's anger, but this time, my dad went TOO far. I don't care if my brother sass mouthed him, or was rude, or confrontational, and adult should NEVER hit their child, throw them into a wall, and then smack them while they are on the ground. NEVER. I know he was drunk, and angry, but that isn't how a person reacts. Adam is a 16 year old boy and obnoxious as any other 16 year old.
I don't know what to do. My mother, also an alcoholic, just doesn't care. All she wants to do is go to work, come home, and go to bed. She doesn't want to deal with the drama because if she tries, it means she'll end up leaving my dad again, and she can't afford it. So instead, she leaves my brother to fend for himself. She always did that to me, too. Never ever stood up for us.
Now all my brother has is me, and I'm a 16 hour drive away with a job managing 3 stores and a husband and household of my own to take care. I don't know what my options are with him. I can't take him out of school. I'm not sure I have enough proof of abuse and negligence to get custody of him, not to mention he'll be 18 in only 2 years. He just made Esprit (our school's award winning dance and singing club) which has been his dream for YEARS. I can't bring him to live with me because I've got a single bedroom apartment, no clue how to get him into school down here, plus he doesn't want to leave his friends and band and Esprit. I can't move back up there because I've got a job and husband.
Does anybody know what can be done in this type of situation? Legally? Right now he's staying with some neighbors, but I know it's an incredible burden on them since they have a 16 year old, a 7 year old, and a 4 year old. I don't want him tossed between neighbors and friends, always feeling like he's in their way.
Please pray for us, I just, I don't know how things are going to play out, and I'm so worried about him.
My stepfather (my brother's biological father) smoked weed throughout my entire adolescence. He was always very angry, very stubborn, and emotionally abusive. He never hit me, and other than yelling at me and making me feel worthless all the time, there was never any physical violence.
He has stopped smoking pot and has picked up drinking instead. When my brother disobeys, my dad screams and yells and calls him worthless and lazy. My brother gets defensive and incites my dad's anger, but this time, my dad went TOO far. I don't care if my brother sass mouthed him, or was rude, or confrontational, and adult should NEVER hit their child, throw them into a wall, and then smack them while they are on the ground. NEVER. I know he was drunk, and angry, but that isn't how a person reacts. Adam is a 16 year old boy and obnoxious as any other 16 year old.
I don't know what to do. My mother, also an alcoholic, just doesn't care. All she wants to do is go to work, come home, and go to bed. She doesn't want to deal with the drama because if she tries, it means she'll end up leaving my dad again, and she can't afford it. So instead, she leaves my brother to fend for himself. She always did that to me, too. Never ever stood up for us.
Now all my brother has is me, and I'm a 16 hour drive away with a job managing 3 stores and a husband and household of my own to take care. I don't know what my options are with him. I can't take him out of school. I'm not sure I have enough proof of abuse and negligence to get custody of him, not to mention he'll be 18 in only 2 years. He just made Esprit (our school's award winning dance and singing club) which has been his dream for YEARS. I can't bring him to live with me because I've got a single bedroom apartment, no clue how to get him into school down here, plus he doesn't want to leave his friends and band and Esprit. I can't move back up there because I've got a job and husband.
Does anybody know what can be done in this type of situation? Legally? Right now he's staying with some neighbors, but I know it's an incredible burden on them since they have a 16 year old, a 7 year old, and a 4 year old. I don't want him tossed between neighbors and friends, always feeling like he's in their way.
Please pray for us, I just, I don't know how things are going to play out, and I'm so worried about him.