Cain's offering

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Same kind of reasoning that the devil employed to deceive Eve.

God spoke and man was to obey. God made it easy and placed a sin offering at the door of the tent for Cain. His hard heart would not receive forgiveness from God. Those who espouse a false gospel have an identical infirmity.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Where does it say God provided a sin offering at Cains tent? I don't see that in verse 7. Can you explain?

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Here is something to consider....when we speak of fire coming down from heaven...

Acts 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them [b]divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Here we see that grace...as of fire... came down from God as an acceptance of their offering.

So then how did they know that God had responded favourably to them? :)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Where does it say God provided a sin offering at Cains tent? I don't see that in verse 7. Can you explain?
Well those who are a lot smarter than I and are well versed in the original language have commented that the word for sin in the text of verse seven is better translated sin offering.

The intent is that God removed every obstacle from Cain. God provided an acceptable offering. It is a type of God providing Christ as the perfect offering for our sin at Calvary.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Seeing that so many have gone before us and have received power from above to live the kind of life that is pleasing to God...

Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Heb. 4:16

In this time of great sinfulness we know that grace also is made more available. Where sin abounds...so does grace. So then we can be very confident...although seeking God is difficult, He is available and willing to empower us to be overcomers in this time.

Jul 2, 2018
Here is something to consider....when we speak of fire coming down from heaven...

Acts 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them [b]divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Here we see that grace...as of fire... came down from God as an acceptance of their offering.

So then how did they know that God had responded favourably to them? :)[/QUOTE
grace...as of fire

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Hey! Y'all... PTL!
Interesting note about Cain: The Lord cursed him and marked him so that others would not kill him. Cain would be unable to grow crops is he wandered, but seems like, the first thing he did was to stop wandering and build a city. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that Cain planted some horded seeds and planted another crop of his favorite vegies; which he couldn't have done if he had remained obedient to the Lord.
Maranatha!

P

pjharrison

Gen: 4: 4-5 4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.
This is what the bible says. Because God was not pleased with his offering.

P

pjharrison

Gen: 4: 4-5 4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.
What answer are you looking for because if you want a different answer than This one (5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor.), then you need to change the question.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org

DUH!

P

pjharrison

well why doesn't the question say that? This is the question I saw.
Here is a question....

How did Cain know that his offering was rejected by God? (He didn't own a bible)
If you want to know why God was not pleased with Cain's offering, it is because God saw evil in Cain. It wasn't his offering it was something that he saw in Cain.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Here is a question....

How did Cain know that his offering was rejected by God? (He didn't own a bible)
I believe cain assumed that His offering was rejected by God... But God even went to Cain and reasured him that all was ok between him and Cain as long as cain continued to do well..

Genisis 4 KJV
6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? 7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

I believe God was establishing a symbolic message about the future blood atonement sacrafice of the LORD Jesus and thats the only reason why Able's sacrafice of an animal from His flock was accepted while cains offering of his crops was not accepted.. Only by the splling of blood can sins be atoned for..

Cain must have known that his offering was not accepted because of his reaction to the rejection..

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

So then how did they know that God had responded favourably to them? :)
perhaps fire came down and consumed Abel's offering but not Cain's.
compare Elijah and the priests of Ba'al, 1 Kings 18, and there are other examples. it is possible

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Abel's offering contained blood and Cain's did not.

per the judgement of Adam ((Genesis 3:17)), the food Cain brought from the ground was produced with his own labor.
Abel brought from the firstborn of the flock, which are not born by mans work, but by God's - later commanded to Israel to do ((Exodus 13:12)).

so we have that the offering God did not have respect for was a bloodless offering of the work of man's hand.
He called this '
not doing well'

thank God He has provided blood for us, yes??

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
so we have that the offering God did not have respect for was a bloodless offering of the work of man's hand.
He called this '
not doing well'
Well, Cain fixed that in Genesis 4:8 when he caught Abel feeding his livestock on Cain's crop in the field didn't he?

And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. Gen 4:8-10

And the LORD not only blessed Cain with a wife, but a son and a city.

And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch. Gen 4:17

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Well, Cain fixed that in Genesis 4:8 when he caught Abel feeding his livestock on Cain's crop in the field didn't he?

And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. Gen 4:8-10

And the LORD not only blessed Cain with a wife, but a son and a city.

And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch. Gen 4:17

God's mercy on Cain did not mean he was off the hook eternally. His judgment was coming. So it is with the church. We see many "kinds" of Christians today, and there is no judgment that separates them (us)...yet. All appear to be on the same "level". For now, all live without distinction even though many will be rejected from the kingdom on that day. For now, everyone is confident. But the fear of the Lord is with the wise. The foolish ones have no fear because they believe they are justified by what they believe even while their actions betray a reliance on the power of the flesh rather than the Spirit. God reserves judgment, however, as we should, for a time in the future where all will be revealed.

Jul 2, 2018
God's mercy on Cain did not mean he was off the hook eternally. His judgment was coming. So it is with the church. We see many "kinds" of Christians today, and there is no judgment that separates them (us)...yet. All appear to be on the same "level". For now, all live without distinction even though many will be rejected from the kingdom on that day. For now, everyone is confident. But the fear of the Lord is with the wise. The foolish ones have no fear because they believe they are justified by what they believe even while their actions betray a reliance on the power of the flesh rather than the Spirit. God reserves judgment, however, as we should, for a time in the future where all will be revealed.
Therefore, judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the LORD comes. He will bring light to what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God. 1Cor4:58:11
Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecc8:11