California Congressman Sues Twitter over 'Shadow Bans'

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AuntieAnt

California Congressman Sues Twitter for $250M over 'Shadow Bans' on Conservatives

US Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) filed a lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and some of its users on Monday.

Nunes accuses Twitter of "shadow-banning conservatives," including himself in order to influence the 2018 elections.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/201...er-for-250m-over-shadow-bans-on-conservatives

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I hope he wins, but twitter and all those other leftist companies like google and facebook are private businesses. They have the right to conduct their business however they want as long as they're not doing anything illegal. Discrimination laws only apply to hiring and firing people, not to content or opinion. If he wins, then people can sue CNN and other media outlets for being biased, but penalizing them for being biased would infringe on their right to free speech.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
California Congressman Sues Twitter for $250M over 'Shadow Bans' on Conservatives

US Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) filed a lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and some of its users on Monday.

Nunes accuses Twitter of "shadow-banning conservatives," including himself in order to influence the 2018 elections.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/201...er-for-250m-over-shadow-bans-on-conservatives
What a cry baby!

Mar 23, 2016
Josh Hawley Calls for Third-Party Audit of Twitter

In a letter to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, freshman senator Josh Hawley (R., Mo.) called on the executive to allow a third-party audit of his social-media platform in light of recent accusations of bias against conservative users.

Hawley, who in just a few months in the Senate has already carved out a space for himself as a prominent conservative critic of big tech and social-media censorship, said in the letter that his request was prompted by Twitter’s recent confusing treatment of the account affiliated with the new movie Unplanned.

“Last week, Twitter suspend[ed] the account of the pro-life movie Unplanned—on opening weekend, no less—raising yet more questions about your supposed commitment to free speech,” Hawley wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained exclusively by National Review. “Just as bad, after you lifted the suspension, 99 percent of Unplanned’s followers mysteriously disappeared.”

According to Hawley, this incident was just the latest example of a longstanding problem. Congress has given you a sweetheart deal—immunity from liability for illegal content posted by third parties—because tech companies like yours promised to provide ‘a forum for a true diversity of political discourse,’” the senator wrote in his letter. “Yet your company has repeatedly abused that privilege.”

The senator cited an instance in which Twitter refused to allow pro-life group Live Action to purchase ads, because the content was deemed “inflammatory” while allowing pro-abortion groups to advocate late-term abortion on the platform.

“I am rapidly losing confidence that Twitter is committed to the free speech principles that justify immunity under section 230. It is time for Twitter to prove it is truly committed to free speech: conduct a third-party audit and release the results to the public, in full,” Hawley added. His letter also noted that an internal audit would be “inherently biased.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/josh-hawley-calls-for-third-party-audit-of-twitter/

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I hope he wins, but twitter and all those other leftist companies like google and facebook are private businesses. They have the right to conduct their business however they want as long as they're not doing anything illegal. Discrimination laws only apply to hiring and firing people, not to content or opinion. If he wins, then people can sue CNN and other media outlets for being biased, but penalizing them for being biased would infringe on their right to free speech.
Its true unfortunately it shows how little the people up top know about the internet.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
it comes down to this- these are private companies , but they offer public platforms. a t t is a private company, but they cannot refuse phone and internet to someone because of their political and religious groups. is that not a fair point?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
So was at&t. Or Bell labs. But the government recognized that in effect they were monopolies.

When you have such a gigantic share of the marketplace, with infrastructure, competition is near impossible. Especially with Google, who on my view is the worst of the bunch.
Manipulating search results, steering people, tracking every keystroke. These companies need to be broken up. This is MUCH more important than breaking up the phone company. These people control thoughts, ideas, and expression. Especially political free speech.
Exceedingly dangerous.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Google is definitely the biggest, but it's not a monopoly. There are other search engines out there. Also, twitter isn't selling any product to the public. It's the only website like it, but no one is suffering because twitter is gouging prices or stifling upstart tweet companies. Twitter is basically just a big blog site. There are other blog sites out there too.

ZNP

Sep 14, 2020
This would be a good time to apologize for this post.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Bias Free speech but they can also be sued for defamation.
Like when the Catholic Trump kids sued CNN for trying to make it look like he bullied a native American man

Papermonkey

Dec 2, 2022
Money bought the 2020 election for the Democrats. Musk has enough money to buy Twitter's way out of this. Especially in California. I won't be surprised when, if, this is dismissed by some bought Left leaning judge.

ZNP

Sep 14, 2020
Money bought the 2020 election for the Democrats. Musk has enough money to buy Twitter's way out of this. Especially in California. I won't be surprised when, if, this is dismissed by some bought Left leaning judge.
They will be judged by the Lord.

9 before the Lord,
For He is coming to judge the earth.
With righteousness He shall judge the world,

And the peoples with equity.

Papermonkey

Dec 2, 2022
They will be judged by the Lord.

9 before the Lord,
For He is coming to judge the earth.
With righteousness He shall judge the world,

And the peoples with equity.
Until then we suffer.

Papermonkey

Dec 2, 2022
Google is definitely the biggest, but it's not a monopoly. There are other search engines out there. Also, twitter isn't selling any product to the public. It's the only website like it, but no one is suffering because twitter is gouging prices or stifling upstart tweet companies. Twitter is basically just a big blog site. There are other blog sites out there too.
Not a monopoly? What about the fact Google is irrevocably installed on most every,if not every, cell phone sold? And have even made their own cell phone brand.

Their eternal cookie that installs on PC's if you use Google just once, tracks you. Their Google Assistant eavesdrops. I know this personally. As does Google maps.

ZNP

Sep 14, 2020
Until then we suffer.
My understanding is that this judgement will unfold in the very near future. In one hour the US will be destroyed by the sword.

Papermonkey

Dec 2, 2022
My understanding is that this judgement will unfold in the very near future. In one hour the US will be destroyed by the sword.
That's Satan, not God.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. America is still a nation in God's light. Regardless of what our enemies believe.

They would do well to watch out for their own nation rather than look forward to our destruction.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
If they can show they did so in collaboration with the government then there may be liability

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Nope....

How they arrive at 250 million dollars is my question.
Then these social media platforms are exempt from lawsuit damages by law.

There's no way it moves forward.

You can sue a ham sandwich for having mustard and mayo and even get punitive damages for the slice of cheese....

Collecting is a whole nuther story.