Calling on the Lord

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Isthere a contradiction in the Bible?[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Considerthis: In Matthew 7:21, Jesus says “Not everyone who says to me,‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one whodoes the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Yet Romans 10:13says, “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will besaved.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Thecontradiction of sorts is also in the Old Testament. Hosea 8:1-3says, “Set the trumpet to your lips! One like a vulture is over thehouse of the LORD, because they have transgressed my covenant andrebelled against my law. To me they cry, 'My God, we—Israel—knowyou.' Israel has spurned the good; the enemy shall pursue him.” Yet Joel 2:32 says, “And it shall come to pass that everyone who callsupon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Sowhich is it? Or, is there really a contradiction?[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Inasmuchas 2 Timothy 3:16 says “ALL Scripture is breathed out by God andprofitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and fortraining in righteousness....”, it would do no good to pick outcertain passages in the Bible without knowing what it says elsewherein the Bible. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]So,there are, apparently different ways of calling on the Lord, and notevery way will bring success. To just speak “Lord, Lord,” is notenough to gain God's favor; we must call on the Lord through ouractions. I tell you that those whom the Lord judges to be righteousare calling on Him through their righteousness as expressed in theiractions. On the other hand, those who merely speak God's name whilenot walking in His path must sound like a clanging cymbal to Him,utterly meaningless. And as we are all in God's image, what does theclanging of a cymbal tell us if we were to pass it on the street? Nowords are coming out, therefore in the context of words there is nocommunication.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Considerthis: Ephesians 2:8-9 says, “For by grace you have been savedthrough faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” Similarly, Godmakes clear when, as Judges 7:2 says, “The LORD said to Gideon,'The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites intotheir hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, “My own hand hassaved me.”'” There are some who say that, based on Ephesians2:8-9, it is not our works that save us, it is our faith in God. Butour faith in God requires some action on our part and such actionimplies works. But it is the works that God has laid out for us todo, that will demonstrate our faith in Him, for it goes on to say, inEphesians 2:10, “For we are his workmanship, created in ChristJesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we shouldwalk in them.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Whatworks would those be? It would be the works that are in fulfillmentof the two great commandments of Jesus, which sums up the Law and theprophets: That we love God with all our heart soul and mind, and welove eachother as we love ourselves. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]So,to just say “Lord. Lord” without doing the works laid out for uswill not get us saved. But by showing through our actions that wehave accepted the works that God has laid out for us, we are callingon Him and we will thus be saved. [/FONT]

Dec 15, 2016
I would say there is no cotradiction and it is the difference between someone actually believing in god and someone who doesnt and is calling on to get something thr may want or in times of need like dome non believers do

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Christ works in believers so that they do good works and produce the fruit of the Spirit. We don't earn our way to heaven by any works that we do. Our righteousness is filthy rags before God apart from Christ working in us so we cannot depend on them.( see Isaiah 64:6). There are people who will call Jesus Lord at the judgement but have not received him as Savior. They may drive out demons in his name and yet have never asked Jesus to save them from their sins.

Yonah

Oct 31, 2014
we must always consider context, in Romans 10:13 the context is about acceptance no matter ones lineage, and Hosea 8 is addressing the apostasy of those who already knew enough to be aware of what the Almighty required, to compare these two verses is like comparing apples and oranges and attempting to make them alike, this is a common mistake and has lead to many a false doctrine, not saying that this is what is being done here, but much confusion can be avoided by first praying and giving the living word its due reverence.
Contradictions in biblical text simply do not exist, either its a translation issue or a misunderstanding born of not practicing the wisdom in Prov. 3:5-6 the Almighty NEVER brings confusion, His kingdom is based on truth with a foundation of love, only the enemy brings confusion and this can easily be avoided by prayer and an acknowledgment that we cannot grasp even the most basic of universal truths without the aid of the Holy Spirit, and we have not because we ask not.
The Father wants us to see the truth but only according to His terms NOT ours.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Calling on the Lord that is effective is done with the heart.

Feb 28, 2016
we totally agree, Joi,

as long as it is done with pure intentions...because this will only be effective,..,

May 12, 2016
we totally agree, Joi,

as long as it is done with pure intentions...because this will only be effective,..,
Out of the heart comes the intentions, I am in agreement brothers.

Only God knows the hearts of men and by their heart, faith and repentance are they saved. The family/church will know if they are by their fruits. Or, if the Spirit reveals it to His servants, as He did in Acts.

Your brother in Christ

May 12, 2016
That is what he is saying brother, some get confused by not eating the whole roll. Sometime people pick pieces they want to eat and leave the rest.

This is something we as people do in the flesh all the time.

Ever been told by your mother, or wife. You only hear what you want too!!

Sadly, as the brothers below pointed out, sometimes the heart and intention are not pure in those that claim to be of God.

Jesus said, in the last days many false Christ's and phrophets/teachers would arise. To lead many astray. Even the very elect, if that where possible.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Is there a contradiction in the Bible?
Since there can be no contradictions in the Bible, we simply need to sort out the differences. A genuine "calling on the Lord" means recognizing that we are sinners bound for Hell and Christ is the only Savior -- the Way, the Truth, and the Life. But those who say "Lord, Lord" outwardly are not saved but do profess to be Christians. And there are many in this category. Since Christ knows their hearts, He banishes them from His presence.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well I have not called out to him very many times but every time I did he came running, I have learned the power in the name Jesus.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Isthere a contradiction in the Bible?

Considerthis: In Matthew 7:21, Jesus says “Not everyone who says to me,‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Yet Romans 10:13 says, “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Matthew 7:21 - Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

There is a difference between merely giving "lip service" and calling Jesus "Lord" (Matthew 7:22) and genuinely calling on the name of the Lord and becoming saved (Romans 10:13). These many people (unbelievers) in Matthew 7:22 had the wrong foundation. They were trusting in their works to save them and NOT IN CHRIST ALONE.

Jesus NEVER knew them which means they were NEVER saved. Their hearts were not right with God, so their attempted external obedience was stained with sin. *Seeking salvation by works is not the will of the Father.

Nov 12, 2015
Isthere a contradiction in the Bible?

Considerthis: In Matthew 7:21, Jesus says “Not everyone who says to me,‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one whodoes the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Yet Romans 10:13says, “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will besaved.”

Thecontradiction of sorts is also in the Old Testament. Hosea 8:1-3says, “Set the trumpet to your lips! One like a vulture is over thehouse of the LORD, because they have transgressed my covenant andrebelled against my law. To me they cry, 'My God, we—Israel—knowyou.' Israel has spurned the good; the enemy shall pursue him.” Yet Joel 2:32 says, “And it shall come to pass that everyone who callsupon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Sowhich is it? Or, is there really a contradiction?

Inasmuchas 2 Timothy 3:16 says “ALL Scripture is breathed out by God andprofitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and fortraining in righteousness....”, it would do no good to pick outcertain passages in the Bible without knowing what it says elsewherein the Bible.

So,there are, apparently different ways of calling on the Lord, and notevery way will bring success. To just speak “Lord, Lord,” is notenough to gain God's favor; we must call on the Lord through ouractions. I tell you that those whom the Lord judges to be righteousare calling on Him through their righteousness as expressed in theiractions. On the other hand, those who merely speak God's name whilenot walking in His path must sound like a clanging cymbal to Him,utterly meaningless. And as we are all in God's image, what does theclanging of a cymbal tell us if we were to pass it on the street? Nowords are coming out, therefore in the context of words there is nocommunication.

Considerthis: Ephesians 2:8-9 says, “For by grace you have been savedthrough faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” Similarly, Godmakes clear when, as Judges 7:2 says, “The LORD said to Gideon,'The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites intotheir hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, “My own hand hassaved me.”'” There are some who say that, based on Ephesians2:8-9, it is not our works that save us, it is our faith in God. Butour faith in God requires some action on our part and such actionimplies works. But it is the works that God has laid out for us todo, that will demonstrate our faith in Him, for it goes on to say, inEphesians 2:10, “For we are his workmanship, created in ChristJesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we shouldwalk in them.”

Whatworks would those be? It would be the works that are in fulfillmentof the two great commandments of Jesus, which sums up the Law and theprophets: That we love God with all our heart soul and mind, and welove eachother as we love ourselves.

So,to just say “Lord. Lord” without doing the works laid out for uswill not get us saved. But by showing through our actions that wehave accepted the works that God has laid out for us, we are callingon Him and we will thus be saved.
The contradiction is within ourselves, in how we understand the verses. We see what is a promise of what He will do as a command of what we must do.

If I MUST obey Him, how am I to do that when anger in my heart at you means I have already murdered you? No man can ever never have anger in his heart. It is impossible for a man. The man can deceive himself and deny that he has any anger whatsoever, but that is not walking in truth. It's just self-deception. If the man is honest, he gets angry when he feels he isn't being respected or treated well. This has nothing to do with if he acts out on the anger because even if he doesn't and so no one knows he's angry, if Jesus spoke the truth, he has already murdered, even before, or if, he acts it out.

There are some different ways to look at the verse - if you love me, obey my commands. It can be seen as:
If you love me, you MUST obey my commands.
If you love me, you WILL obey my commands.
It can also be seen as a promise/command that HE does - If you love me, you will obey my commands. (because He will see to it.

IF I try really hard to never murder by being angry at you, I will always at some point fail. At some point, even though I love Him, I will fail. Why would He demand that I do what is impossible for a man to do?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
There is a big difference between simply saying Lord, Lord (lip service from those who Jesus NEVER knew) and genuinely calling on the name of the Lord. In regards to those who call on the name of the Lord and shall be saved, inherent in their calling is the essential faith that Christ will save them. Such people (genuine believers) trust exclusively in Christ for salvation and not in their works.

In John 17:3, we read - And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. The term "know" implies intimate, experiential knowledge, through a relationship with Him, not merely theoretical knowledge.

May 12, 2016
Since there can be no contradictions in the Bible, we simply need to sort out the differences. A genuine "calling on the Lord" means recognizing that we are sinners bound for Hell and Christ is the only Savior -- the Way, the Truth, and the Life. But those who say "Lord, Lord" outwardly are not saved but do profess to be Christians. And there are many in this category. Since Christ knows their hearts, He banishes them from His presence.
Amen!!

Brothers and Sisters,

You are right! We are imperfect, or we would not need Christ. We are in the flesh and in a world that feeds and tempts it.

If we Love the Lord, he said keep my commandments. If we keep the greatest, it is he who sustains us from our temptations. There is no confusion here. It is He in us who has overcome. Now we are in the flesh. So we become complacent and tired sometimes and drop our guard. In that instant a left hook out of no where knocks you on your butt. Sometimes it's for a reasons. A lesson God wants you to learn, a pruning m. Sometimes it's out of just being in the flesh.

Remember it is written many have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

We are saved by grace alone least anyman boast. Be we are also told again, stay Holy. How do we do this? We strive!! We commune with the Lord everyday. We make him the center of our world. We seek His will and work every
Day. If I go and do work of my own will, is this to bring glory to my name? Not being directed or lead by the Spirit to do so, are those works not dead? For whom did you do the work for?If I go and do works because my Father has moved me and sent me to do those works. Then how wonderful will the works be? With all glory being Gods. For it is not My will or I who do the works but He that is in me. Therefore all Glory and Honor is His.

I cannot do works on my own or they are dead. I must be in and stay in Christ. We can only do this by praying and fasting and striving to be obedient. Keeping watch and on guard at all times. Praying Lord let me not fall into temptation but deliver me from evil. STRIVE!! If you fall, was there a lesson, or did you just let you guard down and get sucker punched?

It is written:
He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels (Rev. 3:5; emphasis added).

He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death (Rev. 2:1

Who is he? What must he overcome? If the gift of Christ is salvation and we all agree it is. Then what must we do to be Holy? Followthe greatest commandment. Run the race, finish the work HE has set aside for you to do for HIM. Be filled with the Holy Spirit. Be on guard at all times as best as possible. Ask for discernment and understanding when the enemy is testing and attaching you.

Note: He who overcomes I will not blot out HIS name from the book of life!!!

Stil think you cannot lose salvation? Again learn from the parable of the seed and where it lands.

Love to you my brothers and sisters in Christ

May 12, 2016
Brother and Sisters,

Now I sense there is still some confusion amount you. Here is the simplistic way of works I can put it. If you believe in God, have repented and Holy Spirit been gien to you. You will do all the work you must and do it with Love and Hou. Because you will be bursting with it. Because the spring inside you will overflow. That people may see your good works and ask. Why do you do, what you do? Then you can share the good news and Love of God and Glorify His Name. Because the Lord Has sent you to be a light u to the world. Now keep us commandments and do His will for His himHonor and Glory for Love, for God has loved you. Who amount you when you met the "perfect" person did not run too and fro exclaiming your affection for this person? When you truly love God and the well is placed within you. Then you will feel perfect unconditional love and give it. Theyby doing the will of God and giving him all honor and glory. For now brother or sister is above another. We are all the same. I am no one, turn your face and heart To He who gives wisdom, not he who speaks what is given to Him. I am just sharing the food given unto me.

Love in Christ and God our Father all Glory Be forever and ever Amen!

May 12, 2016
Brother and Sisters,

Now I sense there is still some confusion amount you. Here is the simplistic way of works I can put it. If you believe in God, have repented and Holy Spirit been gien to you. You will do all the work you must and do it with Love and Hou. Because you will be bursting with it. Because the spring inside you will overflow. That people may see your good works and ask. Why do you do, what you do? Then you can share the good news and Love of God and Glorify His Name. Because the Lord Has sent you to be a light u to the world. Now keep us commandments and do His will for His himHonor and Glory for Love, for God has loved you. Who amount you when you met the "perfect" person did not run too and fro exclaiming your affection for this person? When you truly love God and the well is placed within you. Then you will feel perfect unconditional love and give it. Theyby doing the will of God and giving him all honor and glory. For now brother or sister is above another. We are all the same. I am no one, turn your face and heart To He who gives wisdom, not he who speaks what is given to Him. I am just sharing the food given unto me.

May 12, 2016
Let me try this again.

Brother and Sisters,

Now I sense there is still some confusion amoung you. Here is the most simplistic way I can explain works. If you believe in God, have repented and Holy Spirit been given to you. You will do all the work you must and do it with Love and Joy! Because you will be bursting with it. Because the spring inside you will overflow. That people may see your good works and ask. Why do you do, what you do? Then you can share the good news and Love of God and Glorify His Name. Because the Lord Has sent you to be a light to the world. Now keep His commandments and do His will for His Honor and Glory because you Love God, who has has loved you and forgiven you. Who amoung you when you met the "perfect" person did not run too and fro exclaiming your affection for this person? When you truly love God and the well is placed within you. Then you will feel perfect unconditional love and give it because if wells from your heart and Spirit. Theyby with great Love and Joy you will go about doing the will of God and giving him all honor and glory. For no brother or sister is above another. Let God exhault you. Stay humble! We are all the same. We are all called to preach the gospel. Those filled with the truth and Spirit cannot help it! They are in Love!! I am no one, turn your face and heart to He who gives wisdom, not he who speaks what is given to Him. I am just sharing the food and drink given unto me. Now go to the one who provides it. He who sells the oil!! Then go and be baptized in the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

May 12, 2016
Correction above, not many have sinned "all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God". That was another typo, forgive me.