Calvin did not invent the doctrines of grace

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 25, 2023
2 Corinthians 3:1-18 explains why.

You are of the covenant that condemns and brings death.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
"OF"

[Gal 2:20-21 KJV] 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me

[Gal 2:16 KJV] 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Apr 25, 2023
"OF"

[Gal 2:20-21 KJV] 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me

[Gal 2:16 KJV] 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
If you're going to nitpick you should base it on the NIV which is a more accurate translation.

The KJV has infested their translation with bias such that it barely resembles the original at all.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
If you're going to nitpick you should base it on the NIV which is a more accurate translation.

The KJV has infested their translation with bias such that it barely resembles the original at all.
Not nitpicking it is an important distinction. The one I used "OF" is correct.

Your opinion (wrong). The noun is genitive signifying ownership.

Apr 25, 2023
Not nitpicking it is an important distinction. The one I used "OF" is correct.

Your opinion. The noun is genitive signifying ownership.
Do you actually want to get into the Greek words being used?

The NIV uses in...

Is it actually affecting the meaning?

The point is that he has died to himself and now Christ lives in him.

Have you died this death?

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Do you actually want to get into the Greek words being used?

The NIV uses in...

Is it actually affecting the meaning?

The point is that he has died to himself and now Christ lives in him.

Have you died this death?
It makes a very big difference. The "OF" means that it was by Christ - Christ's faith. The "IN" means that
is by the faith OF Christ: that we receive faith in Christ demonstrating we have been justified in/by Him

Apr 25, 2023
It makes a very big difference. The "OF" means that it was by Christ - Christ's faith. The "IN" means
by the faith OF Christ: we receive faith demonstrating we have been justified in/by Him
In means our distinction is gone.

You want to uphold it.

Scripture doesn't support your reading overall.

Apr 25, 2023
In is used elsewhere like John 17:26, Ephesians 4:6, etc

He is suggesting a transformation through him, not just something done by Jesus in the past.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021

He is suggesting a transformation in him, not just something done by Jesus in the past.
Yes, depending upon the verse, it could mean "in Christ". But when it does, the "faith in
Christ" is because of, and from, Christ's faith, otherwise that faith would not be a gift but a work.

Apr 25, 2023
Yes, depending upon the verse, it could mean "in Christ". But when it does, the "faith in
Christ" is because of, and from, Christ's faith, otherwise that faith would not be a gift but a work.
Grace is a gift because it's uncreated and we cannot do it.

Faith itself intends to make us receptive, it is not the goal nor does it save by itself.

The faith allows us to take on the divine knowledge that Jesus wants us to have.

We keep ourselves from this.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021

He is suggesting a transformation through him, not just something done by Jesus in the past.
"faith in Christ" could be meant in certain cases where faith in Christ is faith that exists within Christ (Christ's faith), not toward Christ.

Apr 25, 2023
"faith in Christ" could be meant in certain cases where faith in Christ is faith that exists within Christ (Christ's faith), not toward Christ.
He's talking about himself, he has died to the law... Paul now has Christ within him...

Your interpretation actually makes no sense.

I'm actually oblivious as to why you need this distinction to be made.

He is living through his faith in Christ rather than the law of his ancestry now.

This is grace, and the only source of righteousness.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
He's talking about himself, he has died to the law... Paul now has Christ within him...

Your interpretation actually makes no sense.
That is how Christ's faith is given to those born-again - by being indwelled by the Holy Spirit. It is your statement that doesn't make sense.

[Gal 5:22 KJV] 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Apr 25, 2023
That is how Christ's faith is given so those born-again - by being indwelled by the Holy Spirit. It is your statement that doesn't make sense.

[Gal 5:22 KJV] 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Yes, another example of a person of the Trinity actually being within us, the use of by creates a distance that is contrary to the multitude of statements about unity.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
He is living through his faith in Christ rather than the law of his ancestry now.

This is grace, and the only source of righteousness.
No, he is living through the faith of Christ, and Christ is the only source of righteousness.