Calvinism vs. Arminianism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 21, 2012
I am pointing out the undeniable fact that the vast majority of Christians are of a very low intellect. God hides the truth from the intelligent and wise and He reveals it to those who are simple like sheep, who just follow and never question anything.

The reason we have less than 0.1% intelligent people in the Church is the Gospel is foolishness and only those if I can use the word dumb will accept it, because as soon as an intelligent person looks at the Gospel with his high IQ&intelligent mind He quickly realizes that it's foolish and he mocks it and dismisses it as fit for fools only.
Speak for yourself.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
God did not FAIL at anything . . . mankind is the one who fails. God sent his Son so that THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN HIM shall have everlasting life. He didn't fail because those who believe in Jesus Christ and believe that God raised him from the dead HAVE eternal life. It is man's choice to believe or reject the gospel . . .

God does desire that all men be saved and if he controlled us - then all men would be saved but he set before us his plan of salvation and that plan of salvation requires making a choice - to believe or to reject. God preordained that his Son would die for the redemption of mankind and He set up the stipulation that one must believe in Jesus Christ in order to receive that redemption . . . that is what He preordained and predestined and that is surely what will come to pass - those who believe in Jesus Christ, eternal life - those who reject Jesus Christ, condemnation.
This is the point of contention which has been hotly debated for the past 500 years and Calvinists are flying our flag very high. Nobody has been able to successfully challenge Calvin to this day and they never will.
Arminius failed to address the very core issue concerning the means by which a person is saved. He left the choice in the hands of those who are dead in their trespasses, so dead people can't choose spiritual things as they are carnal so the whole ideology is fundamentally flawed.

L

LPT

Hmm John the killer and Jacobus the idiot theologian, interesting thread indeed..

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
Hmm John the killer and Jacobus the idiot theologian, interesting thread indeed..
You must choose to side with one of them, there's no middle ground or third option

L

LPT

You must choose to side with one of them, there's no middle ground or third option
I'm certainly not choosing John who got all upset a heart full of hatred because the Catholics booted him out thus was born his psychotic doctrine boo whoo nor Jacobus who was just plain ignorant. lol

U

UnderGrace

I am pointing out the undeniable fact that the vast majority of Christians are of a very low intellect. God hides the truth from the intelligent and wise and He reveals it to those who are simple like sheep, who just follow and never question anything.

The reason we have less than 0.1% intelligent people in the Church is the Gospel is foolishness and only those if I can use the word dumb will accept it, because as soon as an intelligent person looks at the Gospel with his high IQ&intelligent mind He quickly realizes that it's foolish and he mocks it and dismisses it as fit for fools only.
Do you even know what the term "low intellect" means?

I find this over simplification rather amusing considering what your are arguing.:)

L

LPT

Here's my John Calvin song...

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
Do you even know what the term "low intellect" means?

I find this over simplification rather amusing considering what your are arguing.:)
The truth is, the dummies are smart and the smarties are dumb

L

LPT

I always choose the road least traveled on, it's a tougher Terran but in the long haul it's worth the travel indeed...

U

UnderGrace

None of us should ever pretend to understand God, because the simple truth is nobody understands Him. He ways are infinitely higher than our fallen, sinful and wicked ways. Our minds are corrupt, so it's impossible to understands God's ways with a corrupt and wicked mind.

So we are wasting our time pretending to know why He does what He does, the scriptures are too deep and too hard to understand. Our pastor said, we can study scripture all day every day for the rest of our lives and they will still remain mysterious. He said to watch out for those who claim to have figured them out, as they are deceived. We will all go to the grave and scripture will remain mysterious.

This is why we just take the scriptures literally, that's as close as we can get to understanding the mystery of scripture. As soon as we start adding or taking away, we go off into uncharted waters and we quickly become lost in our own foolishness.

Our pastor told us that we don't need to understand the Bible to be saved, all we need to do is believe in Christ and we are 100% guaranteed to be saved. So the whole argument of do we choose God or does He choose us is irrelevant to a believer.
This is very ironic considering you yourself have promoted Calvinistic ideas.

If ever there was a doctrine that sought to make everything "air tight" so to speak with explanation upon explanation that would be it.

Scripture definitely has a role to play in the successful walk of the believer.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
2 Timothy 3:16

U

UnderGrace

There is some truth to this for sure, the brain is an amazing thing.

Feb 21, 2012
This is the point of contention which has been hotly debated for the past 500 years and Calvinists are flying our flag very high. Nobody has been able to successfully challenge Calvin to this day and they never will.
Arminius failed to address the very core issue concerning the means by which a person is saved. He left the choice in the hands of those who are dead in their trespasses, so dead people can't choose spiritual things as they are carnal so the whole ideology is fundamentally flawed.
Well, just let me say that I couldn't care less what Calvin believes, nor Arminius. But of course, I am just a "dumb" Christian who happened to hear the gospel and read the Bible searching out for myself the truths dwelling there - I came to understand that when God said I needed to believe in the only begotten Son . . . that I needed to confess Jesus as Lord and believe that God raised him from the dead - I didn't think it was foolishness but the truth and so I trusted God and believed in Jesus Christ. I once was "dead in sin" but that "dead" does not mean "in the grave dead" - I still could reason out the scripture.

One is saved by Romans 10:17 and Romans 10:9,10 and the process is Ephesians 1:13.

L

LPT

Calvinism and Arminianism are sliced bread lying in a toaster, hahaha.

U

UnderGrace

However, when it comes to believing the gospel, intelligence has a minor role, the greater role belongs to the heart and for this reason I do not accept your argument.

But then you would not know this since God selected you.

Feb 21, 2012
I'm speaking for all true Christians, we must be simple sheep who follow blindly and never question anything
We are sheep in the sense that we need a shepherd to tend to us, to watch over us, to protect us, to lead us but we are NOT sheep that follow blindly and never question anything . . . . I don't believe in "blind faith" and never questioning anything - we are to search out the scriptures and see if things are true. . . . We are to study to show ourselves approved . . . many times God tells us not to be ignorant.

As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. (used in a sarcastic sense) . . . NAY, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

L

LPT

Here's the truth on both systems because both fail to adequately explain the relationship between God’s sovereignty and mankind’s free will—due to the fact that it is impossible for a finite human mind to discern a concept only God can fully understand.

L

LPT

And about the authors of those concept theories, John Calvin & Jacobus Arminius surely had hearts like Cain.

U

UnderGrace

Here's the truth on both systems because both fail to adequately explain the relationship between God’s sovereignty and mankind’s free will—due to the fact that it is impossible for a finite human mind to discern a concept only God can fully understand.
Perfect!!

U

UnderGrace

I'm speaking for all true Christians, we must be simple sheep who follow blindly and never question anything
I truly pray you do not really mean this, it is a very scary sentiment.