Calvinist Kitchen...stirring the pot

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
We are all flawed human beings and make mistakes as a result.
Sounds like good enough reason to me for God to preserve His Word throughout all generations. I have one that He has richly blessed for 407 years now . . . it's still saving souls today.

Bibles are getting 'simpler' and the world is getting uglier . . . but as long as there is a buck to be made, someone is going to come out with a Bible that he can copyright and get rich off of.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
In Gen God changed Jacob's name to be called no more Jacob, but his name shall be called Israel. Jacob is a type of the elect of God.
His descendents became the chosen of God. They were to be the example to the world. They have been separated through history. Jews are unique. All other people removed from their homeland disappeared from history. Jews retained their identity. Thus being unique and demonstrates the power of God protecting them. Germany killed 6 million Jews and was bombed into rubble!

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Sounds like good enough reason to me for God to preserve His Word throughout all generations. I have one that He has richly blessed for 407 years now . . . it's still saving souls today.

Bibles are getting 'simpler' and the world is getting uglier . . . but as long as there is a buck to be made, someone is going to come out with a Bible that he can copyright and get rich off of.
The Bible of God is being published today and is one of the best selling books. If it doesn't contain the compete text translated into English then it isn't the Bible. There are Old Testament and New Testament versions but always the compete text. Recent translations are copyrighted. Go to a Bible book store and look at the flyleaf of the newer translations. Your ignorance is astounding. Where did you go to school?

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Recent translations are copyrighted.
Uh yeah, that's what I said. And copyrights ensure that the publisher makes lots of money off of them. Beyond that I am at a loss as to what you are trying to say? Are you suggesting that the KJB does not have the complete Old and New Testament?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The Bible of God is being published today and is one of the best selling books. If it doesn't contain the compete text translated into English then it isn't the Bible. There are Old Testament and New Testament versions but always the compete text. Recent translations are copyrighted. Go to a Bible book store and look at the flyleaf of the newer translations. Your ignorance is astounding. Where did you go to school?
Complete texts? You should know of the numerous complete verses that are left out of the new versions, not to mention words and even changed truths.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
So they've been giving out KJV's for free since 1611 have they.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
So they've been giving out KJV's for free since 1611 have they.
Why yes, they have. Unless you want a fancy leather bound. Some with notes are copyrighted, but not the text. In many cases a whole bible can had for a buck to $5.00.

How much did you pay for your basic NIV?

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
So daffy dog - $5 is still making a buck buckeroo

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
So daffy dog - $5 is still making a buck buckeroo
What? You want them to give away the paper and the ink also? A ream of paper still costs money. Sheesh!

Ya know, water is free . . . but it costs for the pipes that deliver it your crib.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Uh yeah, that's what I said. And copyrights ensure that the publisher makes lots of money off of them. Beyond that I am at a loss as to what you are trying to say? Are you suggesting that the KJB does not have the complete Old and New Testament?
It depends on whether you buy a complete Bible or a New Testament. Then there is the apocryphal middle books in the Catholic Bible. So which one are you talking about-face?

At 74 and been a Christian all my life and served as elder and deacon in 3 Reformed theology churches (moved twice). I've been around the block a few times aka very experienced.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Ignore -face
By the time I edited another mistake and saw that 5 minutes had passed.
Stupid short time especially with an android tablet.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Why yes, they have. Unless you want a fancy leather bound. Some with notes are copyrighted, but not the text. In many cases a whole bible can had for a buck to $5.00.

How much did you pay for your basic NIV?
I never buy a Bible these days. I use biblegateway.com on my smartphone. It's very handy and can switch translations quickly. Makes my smartphone my Bible.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
I never buy a Bible these days. I use biblegateway.com on my smartphone. It's very handy and can switch translations quickly. Makes my smartphone my Bible.
I use e-Sword, but I still like the feel of the written incarnation of Jesus Christ in my hands.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
apocryphal middle books
They are legitimate history, especially of the Macabees . . . but that's about it. Too many errors in them to be consider inspired or preserved. It was for their historical value that the King James translators included them, and that they were basically working for the Church of England = Catholic-lite.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
What? You want them to give away the paper and thye ink also? A ream of paper still costs money. Sheesh!

Ya know, water is free . . . but it costs for the pipes that deliver it your crib.
Baptist? Which group? There are a few groups plus the Independent Baptists that is a hogs on ice association of Baptist churches that agree to disagree about everything. Went to a couple of them. After graduating from tech school and Starting to work I dropped dropped out until I met my future wife. I then went with her to the local RCA denomination church. Been reformed in my beliefs ever since. Still remember fondly one of those Baptist churches. It was a Calvinist Baptist church. Didn't realize it then. Calvinism and Armenianism went right over my head when I was that young.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Baptist? Which group?
My school was associated with the Baptist Bible Fellowship, but that was in the 80's. I really don't consider myself a part of any group - just Baptist because I have always believed that historically they were true to the Word and existed from the first century though most of them met in catacombs and throughout history were the objects of the 'Trail of Blood.' as they were mostly martyred for their faith.

I guess martyrdom is to be expected when one is more interested in doctrinal truth than ecumenical fellowship.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
My school was associated with the Baptist Bible Fellowship, but that was in the 80's. I really don't consider myself a part of any group - just Baptist because I have always believed that historically they were true to the Word and existed from the first century though most of them met in catacombs and throughout history were the objects of the 'Trail of Blood.' as they were mostly martyred for their faith.

I guess martyrdom is to be expected when one is more interested in doctrinal truth than ecumenical fellowship.
More than 1 denomination claims that as their history. Especially the Catholic Church. The early church at that time had no denominations. That came later as those with similar views left the catholic church to create seperate denominations triggered by the thesis Martin Luther nailed to the church door. A printer took it down and after copying it on his printing press put it back. Copies went everywhere and the Reformation was off and running.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I get very tired of the 5 minute rule. I went in immediately and added information but the 5 minutes includes the edit time. This sucks big time.

Luther just wanted to start a conversation inside the church. The copies going everywhere precluded that. The Catholic Church brought him to answer before a tribunal. They demanded he retract that document and he agreed if they would point out his error Biblically. They couldn't so he didn't. Wars ended up being fought over these issues. Protestant denominations were created in addition to the Catholic and Orthodox split.

Status
Not open for further replies.