Calvinist Kitchen...stirring the pot

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
You've got a problem though. God said it was NOT by the will of any man that you were born again. He also said HE chose YOU, not the other way around.

I'm curious as to what you do with the passages that say that.
Actually, I do not have a problem. All Scripture says that we must make a choice. Jesus died on the Cross to make that choice possible. It is soooo straightforward. How could you miss it? God calling those who choose Him by the title of "elect and chosen" poses no problem for me. He knew from the get-go who would choose Him and who would reject Him.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Actually, I do not have a problem. All Scripture says that we must make a choice. Jesus died on the Cross to make that choice possible. It is soooo straightforward. How could you miss it? God calling those who choose Him by the title of "elect and chosen" poses no problem for me. He knew from the get-go who would choose Him and who would reject Him.
So I put a half dozen of passages like this the other day.

This is precise, unambiguous, and clear.
Please tell me what you do with this:

Ephesians 1:4-5
just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I'm probably misunderstanding this post, but it seems to suggest that you believe a born again Child of God can walk away, and be lost?
Why are you trying to change this thread into another post-salvation OSAS battle? This thread concerns how Salvation is attained, not how it is maintained.

May 19, 2020

just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,

Amen bro....Amen..it means exactly what he’s saying.

Just_Jo

May 29, 2020
I don't know your status with God but what I do know is either you lack communication skills and being able to make known what you mean.......or

Yes I've seen where you state you have learning disabilities
.You are MORE than passive aggressive,but I can't quite put my finger on it.

First you're OSAS,then you're Charasmatic,then you believe and support Calvinism

You tell me what's wrong with the picture?

May 19, 2020
I don't know your status with God but what I do know is either you lack communication skills and being able to make known what you mean.

Yes I've seen where you state you have learning disabilities
.You are MORE than passive aggressive,but I can't quite put my finger on it.

First you're OSAS,then you're Charasmatic,then you believe and support Calvinism

You tell me what's wrong with the picture?
Until you can converse with me in a civilised manner.as I find you extremely “rude”..then come back to me...in the meantime leave me alone please...thank you.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Hello.....can you please show me in scripture.where Jesus said..Jesus also said most will not be born again ...I can’t find those words in scripture anywhere?.....thank you.
Matthew
7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Dec 28, 2016

Could not be any more clear. Plain, concise, face value.

Just_Jo

May 29, 2020
Not being rude but trying to determine your walk
But it's like this.........

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Repent/Metanoeo: to think differently, to reconsider, a change of mind.

Most people have no idea what repentance is or what the word even means. It’s not just feeling super duper sad about all the bad stuff you’ve been doing wrong.

The word repent alone means a change of mind, to reconsider...

Exodus 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

The word repent in the context of sin speaks of a changing of mind that is evil continuously to an increasing love for God, this is impossible without grace: the divine influence upon the heart, being born again...

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

Godly sorrow and repentance is granted.

When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, “So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.

But you’ll say why does he command us to do something we cannot do?

Have you not read the Bible? The entire scripture starting in Genesis is designed for you to realize you can do nothing good apart from God, for all good things come from above, Godly sorrow, repentance, faith, love of Christ...

You must understand that the church is infested with humanism, this false belief that God created all of this for the glory of man, that man is the center of creation. Not so.

Christ is the center. Out of love for the Son He promised a redeemed people, a bride that would be shown the Son and be formed to his image by the Spirit.

It’s all about Jesus not you.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
No I was saved without making the "my choice", you keep advocating so hard always, which is just weird to me that you have to have some kind of hand in your own salvation, "your choice", giving God "less" glory for it.

When I did it your way, the way you've been describing in this thread, when I heard the gospel, then I went up front, I repeated the prayer, then was declared saved and even baptized for good measure, and guess what? Wasn't saved, was not saved at all and did not know Him. Then after hardship fell and I thought I knew "Christianity" was, and it was doing NOTHING to help, because I was sold a false gospel that sounded a lot like what you're selling here and I rejected it because it had no power to change me in any way then, and definitely had no power to help me now.

THEN..... after doing it the "American Salvation Tradition", finding it lacking, and rejecting it because I found it powerless and pointless. I hit my knees alone without anyone telling me a thing. Guess what? I didn't even cry out "God" or "Jesus", I cried out "I can't do this anymore", I came to the end of my way and without even knowing what was happening God drew me in and granted me repentance right then and there. There is no way you can try to make my testimony fit the strict guidelines your trying to fit it in, nor can you, and more importantly for this discussion, can you say a decision came into play at all. This "free will" you champion is deceptive in ways, and I don't mean you're deceptive at all, but the bible tells us we are slaves. Never does it say we are free. It does also say we have choice and agency no doubt. Understand I don't believe we are robots at all, and the bible clearly teaches we have a choice. Again I have no clue how our will works within Gods sovereignty, but I do know we don't get to claim our salvation for our self, least we boast right? Does God not get all glory? Right?
Well as long as you know Jesus was God come down in the form of flesh, and realize that He provided the way of salvation through His death on the cross, and are glad to have Him as Master of your life - you are saved. I don't understand the difficulty you have had in understanding the role of one's will, in the matter of salvation and in living the Christian life. But as long as you actually belong to Him, by now then you're safe, I think. It's true God gets all the glory. But still, the bible shows how when people yield their will to God - that this then makes God willing to empower them to do His will for their lives. Hebrews 11, the faith chapter is one good example of this. If the ones mentioned in that chapter hadn't yielded to God's direction in their lives, God wouldn't have chosen to work mightily through their lives and accomplish much good through their lives.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Not being rude but trying to determine your walk
But it's like this.........
yes, one's walk is important! Speaking of spiritual things and knowing the truths of the Bible is of no use, if not put to action in one's life!

Dec 28, 2016

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
To choose to turn and move in another direction.
For me, repentance very much encompassed laying down my opposition to God :)

I also acknowledge that God very much made it possible :D

In "the natural man," I could not.

Regenerated, I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.