can a christain take his own life and go to heavan?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

skottie_plus

At my friends funeral today, i learnt during the eulogy that he gave his life to christ a week or so ago in detox. while struggling with drugs and depression and his new faith , he took his own life. the pastor who spoke and the family believe my friends in heavan *which i hope so too* but im not 100% convinced. just wondering what other christains here think.

Scotty

Feb 10, 2010
I wonder if he dedicated his life to Jesus because he really meant it or because he was planning on taking his own life and was using that as some sort of "insurance."

Last edited:
S

skottie_plus

hey scotty, his uncle spoke and said he was there when he cried out to the lord in the hospital room after bein sober for a week. hs uncle has been a christian for a long time and explained that he needed jesus as his savior. but yet this happened now and i have no idea what to think

Scotty

Feb 10, 2010
Hmm.. If he said that prayer and really meant it then I'm sure it'll be safe to say he's in heaven.
I'll pray for the family =)

Z

Zossima

Dear skottie_plus, the question you are asking is one that can only be answered by God Himself. Only God knows all the particulars of any one person's life and can mete out justice. Certainly one could come up with all kinds of human reasonings as to why your friend shouldn't be in heaven, but they forget one thing in such reasonings: God's limitless mercy. What you feel in your heart is something between you and God and the fact that you have this question says a load about the tenderness of your heart. Trust God's mercy concerning your friend and don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers here who will do their level best to condemn your friend to hell. It looks like your friend has already seen hell in a way the nay-sayers can't even begin to imagine. God is merciful, skottie_plus.

the sinner, Zossima

S

skottie_plus

yea he said the prayer with his uncle. thanks man i appreciate that

Dec 19, 2009
Dear skottie_plus, the question you are asking is one that can only be answered by God Himself. Only God knows all the particulars of any one person's life and can mete out justice. Certainly one could come up with all kinds of human reasonings as to why your friend shouldn't be in heaven, but they forget one thing in such reasonings: God's limitless mercy. What you feel in your heart is something between you and God and the fact that you have this question says a load about the tenderness of your heart. Trust God's mercy concerning your friend and don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers here who will do their level best to condemn your friend to hell. It looks like your friend has already seen hell in a way the nay-sayers can't even begin to imagine. God is merciful, skottie_plus.

the sinner, Zossima
Well put. Good post

S

STRUGGLING

If you know he gave Himself to Christ and His was such a struggle obey Christ yourself and Trust Him as worthy SHeperd of All Who says He WILL HAVE ALL THAT hIS ,NONE MISSING and if your frinend believed the Lord would be waiting with open arms for him I have to say I really do believe it too BECAUSE OF WHO OUR LORD WHO SUFFERED FOR OUR HOME IN HEAVEN REALLY IS!

I

Israel

Romans 8:33-39

33Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am confident in the judgement layed out by our Lord. Your friend is loved; he that was lost is now found as Jesus said He lost not ONE that His Father has given Him!

B

Bookworm21

Dear Skottie, May God surround you with His love. peace, and comfort during this difficult time of your life with the loss of your friend.
Please also remember John 14:1: "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me." I'll also be praying for you.
In Christ's Love,
bookworm21

S

SantoSubito

Well really i would say it depends on the condition of the person. If a person is crippled by depression or the effects of drug detox then i would say yes they probably will be in Heaven (after quite a long stint in Purgatory). But if they are completely sane then no I would say not. Note I don't want to start a Purgatory discussion, thats just what I believe and we'll leave it at that.