Can a Christian believe in Noahs flood not being Universal?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
The age of the Earth is deduced based on genealogies, Bishop Ussher published this centuries ago.
Ussher only concerned himself with the Israelites.

They were late comers in world history.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
You response indicates you have reached this conclusion without reading Bishop Ussher’s work and reviewing creation science publications. One is tempted to say ‘very poor scholoraship I assure you’ :) jk we are all works in progress if we let Him work :)
I have also studied creation science publications.....for decades. Dozens if not hundreds of them in fact.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Can you recall that when Sodom and Gamora were destroyed Lots daughters thought end of the world? They got him drunk and seduced him to get pregnant and repopulate the word. So it's easy to understand why someone back then may have made a mistake like that if it was a mistake. I do not think it was a mistake but if it was, I don't care. Jesus is my rock and salvation. In him I trust.

E

eternally-gratefull

Can you recall that when Sodom and Gamora were destroyed Lots daughters thought end of the world? They got him drunk and seduced him to get pregnant and repopulate the word. So it's easy to understand why someone back then may have made a mistake like that if it was a mistake. I do not think it was a mistake but if it was, I don't care. Jesus is my rock and salvation. In him I trust.
What was a mistake? Not sure what you mean.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
What was a mistake? Not sure what you mean.
Lot's daughter's made a mistake and thought Sodom and Gomorrah was the whole world. Some critics (not me) say the author of Genesis made the same mistake. I say That has no effect on me because my faith is in the risen messiah, Jesus of Nazareth anyway. Furthermore the new testament supersedes the old if not for the risen Christ to prove our faith, by the old testament laws everybody goes to hell.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
You response indicates you have reached this conclusion without reading Bishop Ussher’s work and reviewing creation science publications. One is tempted to say ‘very poor scholoraship I assure you’ :) jk we are all works in progress if we let Him work :)
Moses, Aaron, and Miriam all play critical roles in the Exodus, and their genealogy appears four times in the Bible (Exodus 6:16�20; Numbers 26:57�59; 1 Chronicles 6:1�3; 23:6, 12�13). Joshua, son of Nun, was also a part of the Exodus and has his own genealogy (Numbers 13:8, 16; 1 Chronicles 7:20�27). Both sets of genealogies span the same 430�year period (Exodus 12:40�41; Acts 7:6) from the sojourn to Egypt until the Exodus from Egypt, yet one lists four generations and the other has twelve.

Moses’ Genealogies Joshua’s Genealogy

ch.PNG

E

eternally-gratefull

Lot's daughter's made a mistake and thought Sodom and Gomorrah was the whole world. Some critics (not me) say the author of Genesis made the same mistake. I say That has no effect on me because my faith is in the risen messiah, Jesus of Nazareth anyway. Furthermore the new testament supersedes the old if not for the risen Christ to prove our faith, by the old testament laws everybody goes to hell.
I see thanks

To me, I would not try to use what 2 girls who were limited to what they saw, with the God of the universe, who lead men to wrte what he inspired them to write..

If God says it, I would agree with it.

Also. I do not think the OT is obsolite. I think the nt fulfilled the OT. But the OT still has alot of stuff for us to help us earn.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I shouldn’t have been a smart alleck in my reply,
http://www.biblemysteries.com/library/adam.htm

Now this IS a chronology that holds to the genealogies in the bible. And the formula is to SUM the ages of the patriarchs unless there is evidence to do otherwise. Very interesting indeed. And gives a date of about 5100 BC to the Flood, and 11,000BC to creation. Very tight IMO barely adequate. Call it the "long count".

The author make the common mistake of using the time span of 480 years of 1Kings 6, without adding the out of fellowship years in judges of 113 years (this study is critical BTW).

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I see thanks

To me, I would not try to use what 2 girls who were limited to what they saw, with the God of the universe, who lead men to wrte what he inspired them to write..

Also. I do not think the OT is obsolite. I think the nt fulfilled the OT. But the OT still has alot of stuff for us to help us earn.
I didn't say obsolete I said supersedes. Sermon on the mount is the new law.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I see thanks

The OT is canon. And the truth of God no doubt. It is simply very brief, very compressed, very limited. It was written on scrolls after all, and there were limits to the data. There were no CD's back then.

E

eternally-gratefull

The OT is canon. And the truth of God no doubt. It is simply very brief, very compressed, very limited. It was written on scrolls after all, and there were limits to the data. There were no CD's back then.
So God can not keep track of his word and make sure we have it?

I trust God can,, If you do not.. that says alot.

E

eternally-gratefull

I didn't say obsolete I said supersedes. Sermon on the mount is the new law.
Sermon on mount was not a new law. Jesus was proving the law was not complete. What Jesus said in sermon on the mount was always in effect..

And sorry, I misquoted you..

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Sermon on mount was not a new law. Jesus was proving the law was not complete. What Jesus said in sermon on the mount was always in effect..

And sorry, I misquoted you..
Adultery, murder, bestiality, astrology...Idolatry, homosexuality etc. all are still sins but the new first 2 commandments are #1 Love God most of all #2 love your/our neighbors as much as ourselves.

E

eternally-gratefull

Adultery, murder, bestiality, astrology...Idolatry, homosexuality etc. all are still sins but the new first 2 commandments are #1 Love God most of all #2 love your/our neighbors as much as ourselves.
Those two commands have always been the way to fulfill the law. Because love does nto sin.

The only difference was the neighbor in the NT means anyone you come in contact with..

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
So God can not keep track of his word and make sure we have it?

I trust God can,, If you do not.. that says alot.
I never implied such a thing. My statement indicates the contrary. Obviously.

E

eternally-gratefull

I never implied such a thing. My statement indicates the contrary. Obviously.
You insinuated the OT could be flawed. And infered it may not be complete.

So I see no other way to interpret it.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
You insinuated the OT could be flawed. And infered it may not be complete.

So I see no other way to interpret it.
Wrong. I said it is LIMITED in scope and magnitude. Probably by necessity. Parchment scrolls, obelisks, clay and stone tablets only go so far. Don't put words in my mouth. Ever.

E

eternally-gratefull

Wrong. I said it is LIMITED in scope and magnitude. Probably by necessity. Parchment scrolls, obelisks, clay and stone tablets only go so far. Don't put words in my mouth. Ever.
Lol. I still see the same, Your say it was limted.

God is limited?

Please.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Lol. I still see the same, Your say it was limted.

God is limited?

Please.
Wrong. The physical quantity of documents themselves are limited. Not the quality or profundity of the information therein. Speak down to your dog if you wish, but never to me.