The meaning of "worldly" is that which is conforms to the world rather than Christ. So whether public or private it would make no difference. Worldly Christians would be following the ways of the world, not the ways of God.Worldly Hobbies that are public.....
Can modern day Christians have worldly hobbies like making model vehicles, playing golf, riding off road vehicles, hunting,playing video games,sports, watching movies or T.v,ext.Can a Christian Have Worldly Hobbies?
Here are some questions i would like answered regarding this question.
These are just some standard questions i came up with but feel free to give a answer as you see fit.
- Does the bible say we cant do anything other than worship and praise him?
- Is having a hobby of the world a sin?
- Should Christians have hobbies at all?
My Opinion:
I think that it's o'k to have a hobby if your a Christian. As long as you aren't giving more time to your hobby than to God because once you start to do that your hobby becomes your false idol and as we know God is a Jealous God he does not want to share you he wants you all to himself and if this happens your hobby becomes a sin and you need to repent and turn from it or ask god for the power to control your urges to play golf all the time, or play video games or watch movies and tv all the time and if you cant overcome it you need to stop your hobby altogether. We also have to realize that we live in a time of technology and to be honest there are lots of cool and fun things to do out there it's nothing like the time era the bible was written in it's much different. We also have to pick our hobbies carefully because if we know our hobby might cause us to sin than it's best not to do it, a perfect example would be watching a movie and seeing a love scene and then you want to go out and fornicate or commit adultery, so if you know you like to watch movies and tv for fun but you cant control your sexual urges than stay away from movies and tv with that stuff in it and if you cant you need to stop your hobby altogether.
Here are some verses that talk about hobbies in a sense:
1 Corinthians 10:31
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 John 2:15-17
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
1 Corinthians 7:29-31
This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none, and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away.
Psalms 101:1-5
A Psalm of David. I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.
I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.
Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.
These are just some verses on how the bible view the things of the world also keep in mind back then mostly everything was evil that the world had to offer there where very few hobbies to do back then as today there are so many of them.
You don't have to necessarily answer using scripture as scripture doesn't talk to much about this subject so your free to just give a personal opinion.
Amen and God Bless you All in Jesus name
I do a lot of photography, almost exclusively outdoor.
Even if the things of God are not explicitly on my mind, almost without exception, any photography excursion will remind me of God and how unbelievably extraordinary creation really is...
I see lots of problems with kite flying.I wouldn't think going to a movie would be a hobby. Hobbies are some things that take your time over a period of your life. Things like sports card collecting, video game playing, kite flying, &c. I see nothing wrong with hobbies, as long as they don't engulf your life.
Kind of thinking, it is sad that Christians worry about if hobbies are bad or good. To what purpose?Amen, also that is just my opinion i didn't answer my own question i just gave you my opinion before hand that's all as this question is not directed at me but is here for all Christians to come across if they want to hear the opinions of other Christians regarding this subject.
I would hope God is in the mix, no matter what we're doing.A fundamentalist.
As for the OP the time we spent on certain things does not necessarily make them more important to us than God. Our full time jobs for instance.
#ahgreatnowcravingFunyonsOnion flavored circled chips. Oh wait, that's Funyons.
#oops
Nothing left for 777 to say, if he starts avoiding false assumptions.No need for any accusations or false assumptions. Totally unwarranted, please avoid doing this from now on.
I don't know about diving, but fishing? Sure. Let's face it, most of fishing is waiting around for the fish to take the bait, so lots of time to enjoy the view, and thank the Lord for time spent doing nothing, until a fish gets hungry. lolMy hobbies are fishing and diving and my mind is much more focused on God when I am fishing or diving than at almost any other time.
Kind of the problem with the word. Everyone thinks they're fundamentalists, therefore it's lost its meaning.I personally believe that the term fundamentalist is often misused to the point of being a misnomer; and is often confounded with legalism.
To me, the book of Romans is a detailed statement of the fundamentals of Christianity. It is a very anti-legalistic message!!
The legalism of what calls itself fundamentalism is in my opinion legalism NOT fundamentalism.
I'm sure no fundamentalist would call me a Fundamentalist because, I see this as the core of Fundamentalism:
Rom 14:4-10
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
KJV
and BY THAT STANDARD, I am indeed a fundamentalist and they are NOT.
Grandchildren is a hobby?My hobbies include gardening, and I eat year round from my vegetable gardening, playing flute, and I play in our worship team at church, bicycling (Hoping I will get back on it, soon!) and reading and studying the Bible.
Oh, and grandchildren. And studying languages, I’ve been really working hard on studying German this year. And I need to get my French back up, a bit!
CC is probably my worst addiction, thinking I need to take a break for a while!
I personally believe that the term fundamentalist is often misused to the point of being a misnomer; and is often confounded with legalism.
To me, the book of Romans is a detailed statement of the fundamentals of Christianity. It is a very anti-legalistic message!!
The legalism of what calls itself fundamentalism is in my opinion legalism NOT fundamentalism.
I'm sure no fundamentalist would call me a Fundamentalist because, I see this as the core of Fundamentalism:
Rom 14:4-10
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
KJV
and BY THAT STANDARD, I am indeed a fundamentalist and they are NOT.