Can atheists be happy?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I think Christians need to choose their words very carefully if trying to promote the Gospel. Especially to a cynical unbelieving audience.
If we start communicating like we are a specially appointed secretary/overseas diplomat for Jesus, that can come across as hollow.
Are you a cynical unbelieving audience?

M

morefaithrequired

catholic way?
action speaks louder than words?
that could be a big generalisation

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Yes of course they can. That might be the wrong answer for some of you.
Let me qualify. Atheists can have a happy life. The afterlife however we dont know. Their eternal life is the question mark.
example... a moral ethical person raises a family with love. no huge dramas. no huge tragedies. Long and happy life. they try not to think about what will happen in the next life and just focus on this one.
I agree, Atheists can live happy lives, until they die anyway. However, if they die as Atheists, their eternal existence is not a question mark. For the word of God is clear about what happens to those without Christ. Anyone who does not believe is already condemned, which is the state of everyone who comes into the world. It is not until a person has faith in Christ that they go from eternal condemnation to eternal life.

As far as "moral ethical person raising families, God has already answered that question with, "there is none righteous, no, not one. All have sinned and all fall short of God's righteous standards. People are not saved by being moral or ethical or by raising families, but by faith in Christ as the One who paid the penalty for our sins.

There is no question mark regarding those who live and die without Christ.

"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." - John 3:18

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them." - John 3:36

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The above scripture means that, anyone who has not believed in God's One and only Son, will perish.

Remember what happened to the spirit of the rich man after his body died? He went down into Hades/Sheol where he was in torment in the flames. In Jesus account of this literal event, the rich man never asked why he was there, because he knew why. The only thing that he did request was to quench his thirst and to have Lazarus resurrect to go warn his five brothers so that they wouldn't come to that place of torment.

Once a person dies without faith in Christ, their record is sealed and they will be held accountable for every sin they committed instead of Christ. when a person believes in Christ, He was already held accountable for the believers sin. He met the righteous requirements of the law on behalf of the believer and He took upon himself the wrath of God that every believers deserves, satisfying it completely. When we believed, we were credited with the righteousness of Christ and reconciled to God. God sees the believer through the spectacles of Christ as being righteous even though we still have our sinful natures, because of our belief in the One who already paid the penalty for our sins.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
i wasnt aiming to uplift.
just distract perhaps. distract myself as well.
I have found that distraction is a very good stress reliever when your own thoughts get in the way. This place is perfect for that!
You guys (and gals) are awesome to talk to! This thread has been a fun one.

Dec 27, 2019
I’ll weigh in. While they may claim to be happy, the truth is they are missing out on a more powerful, complete joy and peace that comes only from intimate relationship with God through the Holy Spirit. Sure they can be happy but it’s nothing compared to the real thing that they know nothing of. Heck, many Christians don’t even understand the joy available to them. The enemy works very hard at keeping atheists deluded. I have no doubt he does this in part by ensuring they enjoy the many idolatrous pleasures of this world.

Feb 28, 2016
bottom line = atheists can be as 'happy' as a monkey'...

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I've known many a happy atheist. Those I've spoken to who know I'm Christian say that if God is Omniscient and compassionate and love, as the Bible tells us, then God will have mercy upon them.
For my part, I figure the best way to lead an atheist to faith is to be an example of what faith makes a person to be.

This may also help this discussion.
Is Atheism More Rational Than Belief in God?

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
They can definitely be happy and content. They can have happy moments and overcome adversity too. But the thing is that they have that feeling of “who am I, what am I doing here, what is my purpose” just like anyone else. And for them there is no answer, there is no comfort or certainty.