Can Christians listen to GAY artists?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kat_6

Before I knew Sam Smith was gay, I listened to his music "Stay With Me" and such. But then, I started wondering.. Is it okay for Christians to listen to songs sung by gay people? And also Sam Hunt (country singer), "Love Me Like You Do" from 50 shades of grey (will not watch it). I listen to their music and apply it in a different way. I mean, they may be singing about gay relationships but I interpret it in a different way. If I hadn't ever watched the music video, I wouldn't even have the thought of two men together when listening to that song. Is it wrong to listen to the music of gay artists? I mean, I'm not supporting gay rights or anything, just the music and the lyrics.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Before I knew Sam Smith was gay, I listened to his music "Stay With Me" and such. But then, I started wondering.. Is it okay for Christians to listen to songs sung by gay people? And also Sam Hunt (country singer), "Love Me Like You Do" from 50 shades of grey (will not watch it). I listen to their music and apply it in a different way. I mean, they may be singing about gay relationships but I interpret it in a different way. If I hadn't ever watched the music video, I wouldn't even have the thought of two men together when listening to that song. Is it wrong to listen to the music of gay artists? I mean, I'm not supporting gay rights or anything, just the music and the lyrics.
When I listen to music other than Christian I want music not political agendas.

M

MyLighthouse

I personally don't support or encourage anything that I know is displeasing to God. I feel listening to a gay artist or watching a show with gays is encouraging the act. Also listening to secular music is not my thing either. Secular music just has totally different priorities/lifestyle, etc. then a Christian has.

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
I personally don't support or encourage anything that I know is displeasing to God. I feel listening to a gay artist or watching a show with gays is encouraging the act. Also listening to secular music is not my thing either. Secular music just has totally different priorities/lifestyle, etc. then a Christian has.
Yeah, for me with any type of music I think it's important to really know what the lyrics mean. It's so easy to fall in love with a song because it has a great rhythm. I used to listen to country a lot, but not so much anymore. Even though I find myself singing to a song if it comes on in the grocery store, I have to stop and think okay. What is the artist implying by this? That's why I think worship music is the best kind.

Jan 27, 2015
It's impossible to know every sin of every musical artist, so I just listen to music as I like it (so long as it doesn't promote sin).

U

Ugly

If you listen to secular music already, then what difference does it make? Chances are the secular artists you listen to are into all kinds of sins. If a singer is into heterosexual casual sex or homosexual sex, what difference does it make? If you're going to listen to one may as well listen to the other. They all have sinful lifestyles.

K

kennethcadwell

To me by what the bible states the same principle would apply in this case as it does with food and political voting.

The bible states that if you vote for and support a person who's agendas are against his then you make yourself guilty of sin by supporting that person. Then when it comes to food it says to eat anything served and ask no questions as your conscious would be clean, but if the person serving it says it was offered to idols then we are not to touch and eat it.
This principle would apply to music to me, that if you are listening to the music and you do not know the person is gay then you are cleared of sin. But if you know the person is gay and you continue to listen to their music, and buying their songs or CD's then you are supporting their lifestyle.

I know the U.S. teaches the division of church and state, however the bible teaches us not to disregard His ways for mans ways......

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
I like to watch the Ellen Show - yes, I'll admit it - I get to laugh a lot during that hour. I like the guests she has. I know she is gay, but I just look past that. Because she IS funny.

The good news is that she has not in the least influenced me to become attracted to women....

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
To me by what the bible states the same principle would apply in this case as it does with food and political voting.

The bible states that if you vote for and support a person who's agendas are against his then you make yourself guilty of sin by supporting that person. Then when it comes to food it says to eat anything served and ask no questions as your conscious would be clean, but if the person serving it says it was offered to idols then we are not to touch and eat it.
This principle would apply to music to me, that if you are listening to the music and you do not know the person is gay then you are cleared of sin. But if you know the person is gay and you continue to listen to their music, and buying their songs or CD's then you are supporting their lifestyle.

I know the U.S. teaches the division of church and state, however the bible teaches us not to disregard His ways for mans ways......
I think the same can be applied when it comes to police officers, fire fighters, and the medical field. In a crisis situation where we need those people ASAP, do we want the best people on board, even though they may not be a Christian? Or do we want those who who are a Christian but aren't really good at their jobs?

V

VioletReigns

I not long ago was surprised to read that one of my favorite Christian singers is gay. The songs themselves are beautiful and glorify Christ Jesus. There is no agenda other than lifting up the name of Jesus in the music. Like the posts state above, how do we know what any singer does behind closed doors?

By the same token, a lot of secular singers are devout Christians. They just happen to play music and sing songs that are not necessarily found in the Christian book store.

Not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" is a true follower of Christ. I'm sure there are plenty of "religious" singers who don't live godly lives.

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
I not long ago was surprised to read that one of my favorite Christian singers is gay. The songs themselves are beautiful and glorify Christ Jesus. There is no agenda other than lifting up the name of Jesus in the music. Like the posts state above, how do we know what any singer does behind closed doors?

By the same token, a lot of secular singers are devout Christians. They just happen to play music and sing songs that are not necessarily found in the Christian book store.

Not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" is a true follower of Christ. I'm sure there are plenty of "religious" singers who don't live godly lives.
How do we make sure what we listen to is truly what God wants us to listen to? Whenever I come across the passage where it mentions not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" is truly saved, I always think that passage is referring to me specifically. Just now when I read your post that last part made my stomach sink.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Just like in acting. Many actors are gay, fine, but it's when they push their gay agenda ...then...CLICK.

V

VioletReigns

How do we make sure what we listen to is truly what God wants us to listen to? Whenever I come across the passage where it mentions not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" is truly saved, I always think that passage is referring to me specifically. Just now when I read your post that last part made my stomach sink.
JSR, that verse is referring to people who act religious but in their heart don't care what God wants. You evidently care because you just posted that you don't want to displease God.

Brother, Jesus said, "Do not be afraid any longer, only believe." Jesus is working in us to do His will and teaching us to trust His Holy Spirit work in us. He wants us to rest in His love, He didn't give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. that is: His power, His love and His mind that He gives to us. Remember how the Lord said, "Come to me all you who labor and are burdened with heavy loads and I will give you rest." Rest, JSR. Nothing is going to pluck you out of His hand. :)

Your reverence for God shows in your post. The light of God is in your heart, JSR. That verse I posted about "Lord, Lord" was not referring to you. I was talking about people who don't have a relationship with the Lord. Grace and peace to you, Brother! :D *hugs*

C

cmarieh

Growing up I used to be a huge listener of Ray Boltz and recently when I found out that he came out and believed that he was born that way I cannot listen to his music anymore. I apologize if this makes me sound judgmental, but something about it bothers me.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
We all sin in one way or another; and we are told not to treat one sin as greater than another.

I think the better question is:

Is the music wholesome and uplifting; or does it pollute the mind?

If the music is not something you could openly sing in the Church parking lot; you shouldn't pollute your mind with it!

May 3, 2013
Without knowing people´s background, I like Elton John or Fred Mercury (I detached from some of their lyrics, as We´re the Champions") but I was a boy those days...

Something in here made me think of this artist...

Because I´m not to be so fanatically discriminative, or ill-biased as a "perfect" judge. That´s between them and GOD!

D

DesiredHaven

We all sin in one way or another; and we are told not to treat one sin as greater than another.

I think the better question is:

Is the music wholesome and uplifting; or does it pollute the mind?

If the music is not something you could openly sing in the Church parking lot; you shouldn't pollute your mind with it!
Yeah, I dont understand how someone can catch a sin cootie from listening to a song sung by someone who has a sin in their life. Why is the gay sin any worse then those listed beside it?

So its okay, to converse with sinners, even listen to half the man glorfying secular music out there but we cant sing along with a gay sinner singing lyrics because we will catch a gay cootie or something? I can understand not going along with (or justifying their sin) but its often our words (whether its their or ours) which can be more righteous then our actions because we can say alot of right things but just not always do them. For example (in a song) A man can sing a song (we all love) about being a one woman man (thats a good thing) but what we might not know (as not all sins are open to all) is that he could really be a ten woman man, or something. The song is not the man who sings it no more then that same song represents any one of us (who sings along with it). And often times (on our part of things) it can be songs of wishful thinkful is all.

Most often the writer of the song (not the singer) wrote it anyway.

But what if the writer has even worse cooties then the singer?

What will we do then?

lol

slave

Mar 20, 2015
I believe there are things that don't honor God in music that make it wrong regardless of the Gay issue.

But as a point, I would say this....If a Gay singer was singing about Christ In complete accuracy I would have absolutely No problem with a Gay singing them at all. For my stance would reflect Paul's attitude He had while in chains...Philippians 1:18; ...His reply, But what does it matter? Nothing Matters except that, in one way or another, people are told the message about Christ, whether with honest or dishonest motives, and I'm Happy about that. Yes, I will continue to be Happy!

....God speaks on the issue of Gays.
...God speaks on the issue of Grace to those who preach the Gospel with false motives.
.....God speaks to us about in Everything we do bring Glory and Honor to Him. Or another way of saying it...If Jesus was sitting in that concert live would you feel good about that music still? If not what would be your conclusion?

To be completely honest after combining all these issues together I am little cloudy on the actual question but I hope I said my piece that would Honor God in a response. Also remember we are to love all people regardless of the sin.

Last edited:

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
If we judged every artist by their lifestyle choices ........
.....our walls would be bare, our bookshelves empty, and all of our electronic devices would need to remain off.

We should judge the art...not the artist.
Their choices are between them and God.:)
Right?

Last edited:

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
If not sure about your favorite worldly artist, contact Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, KS.

Last edited: