Can Christians listen to GAY artists?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Blackpowderduelist

It could just be because someone told me that, I interpreted the show through that lens. My impression of the show was still that it did not really teach any good values and was a bit obnoxious, not the best cartoon for kids. Butt jokes might be funny for kids, but that doesn't mean it's good for them to watch it.

Still, Mr. Crabs in Bikini Bottom. There had to be a team to put this together, and someone could see those connections, whether it has anything to do with anyone being gay or not.
So you are telling me that you can see the some clandestine plot to slip some kind of destructive message into a silly cartoon , but have no issue with someone using the Lord's prayer as a visualization exercise to open up new spiritual worlds...?
Well alrighty then, there is no need for us to have any conversation.

presidente

May 29, 2013
So you are telling me that you can see the some clandestine plot to slip some kind of destructive message into a silly cartoon , but have no issue with someone using the Lord's prayer as a visualization exercise to open up new spiritual worlds...?
Well alrighty then, there is no need for us to have any conversation.
Clandestine plot? Maybe some nasty subtle double entendres in a children's cartoon that is already a bit bawdy for a little kids cartoon.

I do not think it is fair to assume 'visualize' has a New Age meaning. Not sure what a 'spiritual world' is. It sounds a bit like puffery to me.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Clandestine plot? Maybe some nasty subtle double entendres in a children's cartoon that is already a bit bawdy for a little kids cartoon.

I do not think it is fair to assume 'visualize' has a New Age meaning. Not sure what a 'spiritual world' is. It sounds a bit like puffery to me.
You can see what might be a possible veiled dirty joke, but not overt mysticism. Sure, why not?

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
Before I knew Sam Smith was gay, I listened to his music "Stay With Me" and such. But then, I started wondering.. Is it okay for Christians to listen to songs sung by gay people? And also Sam Hunt (country singer), "Love Me Like You Do" from 50 shades of grey (will not watch it). I listen to their music and apply it in a different way. I mean, they may be singing about gay relationships but I interpret it in a different way. If I hadn't ever watched the music video, I wouldn't even have the thought of two men together when listening to that song. Is it wrong to listen to the music of gay artists? I mean, I'm not supporting gay rights or anything, just the music and the lyrics.
Can Christians listen to artists who are sinners?

Short answer... Yes

Aren't we all sinners? Gay people are often very good artists. Elton John and George Michael immediately come to my mind and they made some wonderful songs in my opinion...

Their not usually promoting LGBT stuff in their songs but its how you interpret the song anyway.

George Michael had a song called "fast love". U would think he was singing about a woman if u missed one part of the song

"I see loving in HIS eyes, I miss my baby".

In fact I was a little turned off at first, conflicted. But its a great song still, the beat, the way he sings it...

Just my opinion anyways...

presidente

May 29, 2013
You can see what might be a possible veiled dirty joke, but not overt mysticism. Sure, why not?
Mysticism is not inherently evil. There are different definitions of the word, including one that has to do with the word translated 'mysteries' Paul writes about. My approach to that OP was to compare it with scripture, not to say 'Oh this is bad because it reminds me of the New Age movement.'

Anyway, let us not hijack the thread. You can still post in that thread if you want to respond to that topic.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Mysticism is not inherently evil. There are different definitions of the word, including one that has to do with the word translated 'mysteries' Paul writes about. My approach to that OP was to compare it with scripture, not to say 'Oh this is bad because it reminds me of the New Age movement.'

Anyway, let us not hijack the thread. You can still post in that thread if you want to respond to that topic.
How did Lot make out living in among the Sodomites?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Lookupnotback

Sep 26, 2020
Growing up I used to be a huge listener of Ray Boltz and recently when I found out that he came out and believed that he was born that way I cannot listen to his music anymore. I apologize if this makes me sound judgmental, but something about it bothers me.
The anchor holds, an amazing song that has brought me through may a challenging time....and then i learned of Ray’s choices and did some searching and found him before a group of people in a “church”, preaching away on how God was going to accept gays and such dogma, with the crowd cheering on with votes of positive affirmation to his statements. Remijded me of being at an area pentecostal men’s meeting where the area’s leader was going on about how the word didn’t matter but the feelings and that crowd made the same sort of supportive sounds and i nearly crawled out of my skin at what was going down and the judgement this fool at the front was going to be under leading all of these simple kinda guys stray in their emotions. It all blew my mind, which got me to thinking, what was it that actually was the anchor that was holding him? Was he singing of an ideal related to God’s protection and yet he had this anchor of sin dragging him down? Anyways, it is a great song that has brought me through so many losses in life of extreme measure? When nothing made sense and satan’s minions were trying to take all light out of life for me and yet the faith placed in me that it is all meant for God’s good in the end? I just can’t let that song go.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
If you are asking
There is a chance you already know the answer

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017

Short answer... Yes

Aren't we all sinners? Gay people are often very good artists. Elton John and George Michael immediately come to my mind and they made some wonderful songs in my opinion...

Their not usually promoting LGBT stuff in their songs but its how you interpret the song anyway.

George Michael had a song called "fast love". U would think he was singing about a woman if u missed one part of the song

In fact I was a little turned off at first, conflicted. But its a great song still, the beat, the way he sings it...

As long as you aren't tempted into the lifestyle. But I could say the same about worldly "straight" artists.

These George Michael lyrics always bothered me,

"I swear I won't tease you
Won't tell you no lies
I don't need no bible
Just look in my eyes
I've waited so long baby
Now that we're friends
Every man's got his patience
And here's where mine ends
I want your sex"

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
george michael sang 'faith' didnt he?

People didnt know he was gay/bisexual until he came out and said it.
so they can be forgiven for thinking he was straight or even christian if they werent listening that closely.

B

Blackpowderduelist

george michael sang 'faith' didnt he?

People didnt know he was gay/bisexual until he came out and said it.
so they can be forgiven for thinking he was straight or even christian if they werent listening that closely.
No, everyone who heard any of his music or saw any picture of him knew immediately that he was gay, no question about it.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Growing up I used to be a huge listener of Ray Boltz and recently when I found out that he came out and believed that he was born that way I cannot listen to his music anymore. I apologize if this makes me sound judgmental, but something about it bothers me.
I know of two of his songs...good songs. I would not want to hear them now, especially not watch the videos because of Bolt announcement.

It wouldn't be that big a deal to me if he were struggling with temptation. It is announcing his adherence to a philosophy that justifies sin and pursuing that.

presidente

May 29, 2013
No, everyone who heard any of his music or saw any picture of him knew immediately that he was gay, no question about it.
Since curly rocker dos were in style in the 1980's for rock stars who liked to play with girls, I didn't assume Ray Boltz was gay from looking at him.

There are men who act and talk a little like they just might be gay who have wives and children who presumably aren't out committing sexually immoral acts with other men. There are also masculine looking women who presumably aren't out engaging in sexual immorality with other women.

I don't think I heard Ray Boltz talk before all this stuff came out, and I could not tell you if he 'talks gay.'

B

Blackpowderduelist

Since curly rocker dos were in style in the 1980's for rock stars who liked to play with girls, I didn't assume Ray Boltz was gay from looking at him.

There are men who act and talk a little like they just might be gay who have wives and children who presumably aren't out committing sexually immoral acts with other men. There are also masculine looking women who presumably aren't out engaging in sexual immorality with other women.

I don't think I heard Ray Boltz talk before all this stuff came out, and I could not tell you if he 'talks gay.'
I don't know who that guy is, but even though he is saying Christiany words, I think you're right he is likely Gay. Seems like it to me too.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I don't know who that guy is, but even though he is saying Christiany words, I think you're right he is likely Gay. Seems like it to me too.
You were 'prompted' to think that because of context, I think. Or maybe you have more sensitive 'gaydar' for people without flamboyant mannerisms than I have.

B

Blackpowderduelist

You were 'prompted' to think that because of context, I think. Or maybe you have more sensitive 'gaydar' for people without flamboyant mannerisms than I have.
Oh I thought you were saying he is gay and other folk don't recognize it.
Or maybe I'm a jerk and if a guy ain't an alpha male I think he is gay.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019

Short answer... Yes

Praise God .. no I am not still a sinner. See I put off that old man put on the new man. I was out there drowning and He found me and didnt say " I am going to save you". I would still be in the water drowning. No He SAVED ME. What had a hold on me does no any more :)

I can only speak for me. I can listen to any worldly singer I want. And that will have some kind of effect. Satan is alive and well. To think we can listen to worldly music or books or TV and think there is no evil what so ever behind it is foolish. There is no one out there that is standing in the middle. Meaning "Na I am not in Gods camp and I am no in Satans camp". You serve the lord or your serving the enemy Satan. Christ looked at some and said "you are of your Father the devil". They knew that was not true. Yet Christ can not lie.

So for me any song that does not bring glory praise to the Father I don't want to listen. Oh I LOVE all kinds of music. But some of that music pleases ME only ME not my Father. I use to always listen to Acid Rock.. as a believer. It was not till I ME wanted to know what HE wanted.. did that desire just vanish. its not in me any more. Were not slaves. I love listening to old music but.. its empty no life.. the more I listen to music that praises Him.. oh feels me with such joy and I ALWAYS join in and sing to Him!

So if its not of God we open that door that should not be open. Anyone freely walking in sin.. then no.. can't you tell when your listening? Something is different something's off. I had this oh the about 2 weeks ago. Oh I can't remember his name. A country singer. I keep listening because SOMETHING was ..well I knew he was a believer yet the songs were not singing about Jesus. Yet.. I could not sake it. So I started to search. Every award he (they) got "I want to thank Jesus Christ my savior". None of his music was evil in any way. Some was just worldly. Yet His heart was for Christ.

So this is why I ask "can you not tell?" Had it when something was wrong.. and found they were gay or the like. Not for Christ. So I may not listen but praying FOR them yes. HAHA I am not better just Christ took my sin. I would want someone to be praying for me. I at times listen to Christian rap. Now some use words I would never but they come from a different place then I have..and are still growing. Others SAY Christian and are not. You should know by the sweet holy Spirit in you