Can God be called She?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Are you discrediting my question from my profile status?
If you really must know, I have been Christian since birth and a very active such. But about 4 years ago I fell very ill and out of touch with God. The reason I picked unsure was that I am not as accepting of everything as I was before. But I do believe in God and Jesus.
Still think that this legit question is me trying to discredit God? Or do you need to rethink your prejudiced thoughts as soon as you hear someone is not a hardcore Christian?
Still think what I think....................how, exactly, can one be a Christian "since birth?" Becoming a Christian (believer in and disciple of Christ) requires a choice to be made......... Do you believe a new born child can willingly choose to believe in and be a disciple of Jesus Christ?

I think you should resolve that "unsure" state of your spirit before delving into questions such as the Title of this Thread..............

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Alternate lifestyles?
200 years ago it would have been an absolutely Nono to Gaye a woman in power in most places of the world. And therefor even recognizing the image of God women was made from. Today is different and women and men are almost equal in many places. And of course we are questioning why the Bible is written by men, about mostly men and a God that has created all humanity, men and women both, and clearly has women/mother-like qualities, but are only allowed to be called a man.
Is it that strange that me, part of the other half of the population wonders about this? I know that it’s said that God is the man and the earth his woman.
But say that I would have a very bad relationship with my father, and everytime I call God a Father my picture of my father comes up. Would it hurt that much to, in thought of Gods motherly nature, call him Mother?
Your understanding of Scripture concerning "image" is not yet capable of understanding the Truth of Scripture......

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
I think you should resolve that "unsure" state of your spirit before delving into questions such as the Title of this Thread..............
I will definitely have to agree with this very good advice. :)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Let's approach it this way:

Why did God make us/other species male and female? Is there Scripture which reveals the reason?

Genesis, Chapter 9:
7) And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

So, male and female is the state of the "physical" being, right?

Are there male/female spirit beings?

John, Chapter 4:
24) God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Matthew, Chapter 22:
30) For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Galatians, Chapter 3:
28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

So, what is God's "image?"

God is a Triune Being..............God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost.......

Man is a triune being.............body, soul, spirit..........

1 Thessalonians, Chapter 5:
23) And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God created man in His image, and He gave them "physical" bodies, male/female, for the express purpose of procreation..............These "physical" bodies will NOT inherit eternal life. They are for this world only.

1 Corinthians, Chapter 15:

39All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
40There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Hope people can understand................God can not be called "she." This is not a "sexist" truth, it's simply how God set things in place.......both in heaven, and here on earth.

GOD IS A SPIRIT........A TRIUNE BEING.........the image we were created in is that...........man being a triune being.....

Male and female earthly bodies are for the purpose of procreation (to reproduce through sexual joining) and to HOUSE the image of God we were "created in." Our Eternal spirits.............

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Are you discrediting my question from my profile status?
If you really must know, I have been Christian since birth and a very active such. But about 4 years ago I fell very ill and out of touch with God. The reason I picked unsure was that I am not as accepting of everything as I was before. But I do believe in God and Jesus.
Still think that this legit question is me trying to discredit God? Or do you need to rethink your prejudiced thoughts as soon as you hear someone is not a hardcore Christian?

No, you haven't been a Christian since birth.
You could have been born into a Christian family but you were not a Christian from the moment you were born.

R

Ronja

Still think what I think....................how, exactly, can one be a Christian "since birth?" Becoming a Christian (believer in and disciple of Christ) requires a choice to be made......... Do you believe a new born child can willingly choose to believe in and be a disciple of Jesus Christ?

Sigh. Okay, my mistake. I was born into a Christian family and grew up with a Christian faith. And early in I chose it for myself. Is that ok with you? Is that an okay way of describing it?
You dig into the completely wrong thing. Stop being personal if that is not what the question is for. This is a question about a completely different thing than what level my faith is on.
So in your mind, unless someone is 100% sure about something, that person cannot ask a single question regarding that thing?
Stop minimizing other people’s faith and stop being self righteous.

R

Ronja

I will definitely have to agree with this very good advice. :)
Please don’t. You do not know me and has no idea where my mind and heart is. Please move back to the subject of the discussion.

R

Ronja

Let's approach it this way:

Why did God make us/other species male and female? Is there Scripture which reveals the reason?

Genesis, Chapter 9:
7) And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

So, male and female is the state of the "physical" being, right?

Are there male/female spirit beings?

John, Chapter 4:
24) God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Matthew, Chapter 22:
30) For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Galatians, Chapter 3:
28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

So, what is God's "image?"

God is a Triune Being..............God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost.......

Man is a triune being.............body, soul, spirit..........

1 Thessalonians, Chapter 5:
23) And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God created man in His image, and He gave them "physical" bodies, male/female, for the express purpose of procreation..............These "physical" bodies will NOT inherit eternal life. They are for this world only.

1 Corinthians, Chapter 15:

39All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
40There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Hope people can understand................God can not be called "she." This is not a "sexist" truth, it's simply how God set things in place.......both in heaven, and here on earth.

GOD IS A SPIRIT........A TRIUNE BEING.........the image we were created in is that...........man being a triune being.....

Male and female earthly bodies are for the purpose of procreation (to reproduce through sexual joining) and to HOUSE the image of God we were "created in." Our Eternal spirits.............
I know that God is spirit and that we are, and that when we die our flesh dies but our spirit lives on.
And no, I do not think that the gender matters that much in heaven. And no, I do not discuss this because I want to think that God has genitals of either a women or a man. I am wondering why it is a must to call God by the image of man and not woman, since we are both created in his image. If gender isn’t important and if we are all spirits and God is spirit, why does it provoke people so much using “she” when the word “he” is clearly just a word to describe God for us to understand.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I know that God is spirit and that we are, and that when we die our flesh dies but our spirit lives on.
And no, I do not think that the gender matters that much in heaven. And no, I do not discuss this because I want to think that God has genitals of either a women or a man. I am wondering why it is a must to call God by the image of man and not woman, since we are both created in his image. If gender isn’t important and if we are all spirits and God is spirit, why does it provoke people so much using “she” when the word “he” is clearly just a word to describe God for us to understand.
Ronja, it is simple. In the beginning, God created man in His image. From that point on, all references made to God have been in the masculine tense. There is no reason to change that now.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
If gender isn’t important and if we are all spirits and God is spirit, why does it provoke people so much using “she” when the word “he” is clearly just a word to describe God for us to understand.
Because, it is not "just a word to describe God for us to understand"...

There is much more to it than that.

To understand it, you must understand God - for He authored and established it on His own will.

The understanding you seek to obtain, you must get from God. So - study the Word and get to know the Creator better. In time, you will understand better.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well Jesus referred to God as 'Father' so I do the same.

I know that Mary while she did give birth to Jesus, isnt God. Though some catholics like to give her divine status and call her 'Mother of God'. some people do pray to her but I dont.

I think there isnt really a neutral word for calling God although when addressing God if you want to be oldfashioned you would say Thou and Thee but theres no third person reference especially for God in english.

many people refer to Mother Nature meaning Gods creation...and the church is always referred to as the bride in scripture making her female. so you could call the church 'She' I hope that helps.

sometimes agnosics ask this question and you cant blame them for not really understanding when we cant just say oh its in the Bible, since many agnostics will not even open a Bible.

CedarRose

Jul 26, 2020
Canada
When people ask Christians about why God is called a He, they often gets the answer that God has both male and female elements, but that he is Spirit, not a gender. If that is the case, why do we only call him by He and not She?
Both men and women are made in his image?
God, The Father is an archetypal description. To call Him Father also speaks to His masculine character which can be seen throughout the bible: Strong in character and in force, protector, punisher, wise, a hard rock to lean on, order. Yes, the feminine can also have some of those attributes, but not to the same extent or in the same way. The feminine is life giving, chaotic and nurturing, which are also attributes of God.

But ultimately, in times of suffering and uncertainty, we need that rock, that strength, the One who can help bring order to the chaos. God, the Mother just doesn't sit right. Try it sometime when your in deep pain, pray God, the Mother, you will see what I mean. It doesn't feel right.

CedarRose

Jul 26, 2020
Canada
But if he only has male attributes, where did the women attributes in humans come from?
He doesn't only have masculine attributes. Feminine attributes such as life-giving and nurturing are also found in God.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
When people ask Christians about why God is called a He, they often gets the answer that God has both male and female elements, but that he is Spirit, not a gender. If that is the case, why do we only call him by He and not She?
Both men and women are made in his image?
I believe God is a man, but has male and female attributes. We will not be married to each other in heaven but to God, without the sex of course. For us to remain single and be married to God means that God can complete the man and woman. Implying that he has full nature of men and women and beyond.