Can I Be a Christian if I Occasionally Smoke Cigarettes

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 15, 2022
Theirs no sin for smoking cigarettes. I advise you stop smoking. My dad and oldest brother both got cancer from smoking. They both passed away. My younger brother stopped smoking after my oldest brother died. It was wake up call.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Theirs no sin for smoking cigarettes. I advise you stop smoking. My dad and oldest brother both got cancer from smoking. They both passed away. My younger brother stopped smoking after my oldest brother died. It was wake up call.
The wages of sin is death, the cancer came from one of the 3000 hazardous chemicals used to manufacture the cigarettes. The majority of ingrediants are hazardous materials

swatfrog

Nov 19, 2022
youve already made the choice for the non-smoking section of your eternal life ,so no problem !

swatfrog

Nov 19, 2022
Most anti smoking Christians use the "Your body is a temple" argument. But then again, most of them eat fast food, which in my opinion is just as bad as smoking. What about tattoos? my pastor was in the navy in the 50's and has some Ink, what is the consensus on that?
well there is an old testament command about not marking your body, but that was given before Christ and to the children of israel . I have them and I tell people , Jesus has scars,Hes not afraid to show them, they are my scars

Nov 11, 2022
Smoking does not preclude anyone from being a Christian.

As you grow closer in your relationship with the Lord, you will make the decision to honour the body God has gifted you and stop smoking.

Smoking, in and of itself, is not sinful. But if you wish to honour God, He will help you to quit.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
I find such questions reflect greatly on the focus we have in our Christian lives. Why do you ask what things we can do that we know are unhealthy? The question I think is important to answer is what can I do that will take good care of my temple i.e../My body and bless others and the Lord?

Oct 27, 2022
I will smoke a cigarette or two in social situations. I'm not a regular smoker. Can I be a Christian and be an occasional smoker. With all the Covid stuff, an occasional cigarette is relaxing.
Smoking is not the unforgivable sin but it can do harm to your body or lungs. There are health laws that say not to eat scavenger meats, yet people do it anyway. Will it cause them to go to hell? No, but it will harm their bodies as they are eating the poisons stored in the fat cells of the scavenger. Smoking is the same thing. You won't go to hell for it, but you may become sick.

swatfrog

Nov 19, 2022
Most anti smoking Christians use the "Your body is a temple" argument. But then again, most of them eat fast food, which in my opinion is just as bad as smoking. What about tattoos? my pastor was in the navy in the 50's and has some Ink, what is the consensus on that?
Actually its been proven that fast food is worst, my not give you lung cancer , but the long term effects are worse. Did you know that cigarettes are NOT a no# 1 carcinogen , but processed meats are ? Think of all the lunch meat eaten. Remember when Subway was started by a bunch of doctors , yet ....lunch meat

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Tats are cool, I have three small dots. I say they are for the Trinity. I got them when I was treated for Prostrate Cancer. lol It really matters what their message is.

NilsForChrist

Jan 31, 2023
Certainly. Spurgeon himself smoked cigars. I would encourage you to stop smoking, HOWEVER, salvation is not by works.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Certainly. Spurgeon himself smoked cigars. I would encourage you to stop smoking, HOWEVER, salvation is not by works.
He probably wasn't aware of the health hazards associated with smoking.
Or he was ignorant of the fact the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
He was a great theologian, not Spirit filled as far as I know.

Feb 1, 2023
Straight to hell, Jk im curious too about it.

Feb 1, 2023
The tattoos goes back to old testament where it says not to put anymarks in your body to worship the dead.
But im sure God wouldn't approve of tattoos, it has always been in the back of my head i just needed to hear it.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
I doubt that, Leviticus 13 goes on about about prophets, and dreamers, and then warns against false ones, 14:1-2 warns against cuttings because they are to be a peculiar people and then verse 3 goes into the clean and unclean animals before going into levite priests and tithes at the end of chapter 14.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
But im sure God wouldn't approve of tattoos, it has always been in the back of my head i just needed to hear it.
I would agree there, we are supposed to be seperate and peculiar people from the world, hard to comply with the regulations when your doing the same things the world is. Always good to double check.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The temple of Holy Spirit text in context has to do not joining ourselves in sexual sin. Romans 14 tells us to eat unto the Lord.