Can I call myself a Christian if I'm unsure I'm born again

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
tomorrow I could run over by a bus, would I go to Abrahams bosom, where Jesus would come and preach to me. Because in away I am like a Pharisee a new believer.

Or do I have to be born again befor I possibly get hit by a bus.
No you would not go to Abraham's Bosom ---you go directly to Jesus and Judgment happens ------so it is important that your Saved before you die

1679860728136.jpeg

Salvation is for the here and now ---there is no Second Chance ------

This is how you get saved in the here and now -----and then you can call yourself a Christ--ian

This is the scripture ----and Notice the IF YOU -----if you do this ----you will be saved ----

Many think as long as they believe in Jesus they are saved ----well it is not quite that simple ---it goes a little deeper than that -----

Romans 10:9

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

9 Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe (adhere to, trust in, and rely on the truth) that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

This word believing here is not just believing in a general way that He is God ----died and rose again

Anyone can believe Jesus is God ---etc ---the demons believe Jesus is God but they aren't saved ------

The word believe here goes deeper than just believing ------you need to trust in and adhear to God and His truth ----

Also you must confess with your mouth that Jesus Is Lord ------Confessing out loud is declaring your True Faith in God ----

what you have confidence in --you will speak out -------

-

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Anyone can learn the tenets of any religion and begin practicing them and call themselves by that particular religion or
denomination. But merely practicing the tenets of Christianity doesn't make one a Christian. You must be born from above.

Romans 8:15-16
:)

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I believe that being saved can also be referenced as being christened,
I had always thought that "christened" meant infant baptism. Salvation requires an informed decision by the recipient.
men of the old t, whom Jesus went and preached to in Abrahams bosom where saved. But had not yet received salvation,
It is said of these men that their faith was counted as salvation. Jesus simply informed them that He had fulfilled all the requirements by shedding His own blood. He then transported them to Heaven.
Can I be saved until i am born again.
No.
John 3:3
“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Theres indication that I must believe in the father befor I can possibly truly believe in the son.
Believing on the Son is believing on the Father.
John 14:9
“Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?”
Jesus said to his decipels you have believed in the father now believe in me.
John 14:6
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
I am practicing Christianity,
Christianity is a relationship. It must be experienced. Anything other than faith in Jesus' cleansing blood is empty ritual.
I was christened into the church of England and have always thought my faith or title was a Protestant,
Profits you nothing.
I'm unsure I have received salvation.
Now I understand why.

You must go to Jesus and have a one-on-one talk. He is real and is waiting for you. Completely surrender to Him right now.
Revelation 3:20
“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
No you would not go to Abraham's Bosom ---you go directly to Jesus and Judgment happens ------so it is important that your Saved before you die

View attachment 249840

Salvation is for the here and now ---there is no Second Chance ------

This is how you get saved in the here and now -----and then you can call yourself a Christ--ian

This is the scripture ----and Notice the IF YOU -----if you do this ----you will be saved ----

Many think as long as they believe in Jesus they are saved ----well it is not quite that simple ---it goes a little deeper than that -----

Romans 10:9

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

9 Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe (adhere to, trust in, and rely on the truth) that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

This word believing here is not just believing in a general way that He is God ----died and rose again

Anyone can believe Jesus is God ---etc ---the demons believe Jesus is God but they aren't saved ------

The word believe here goes deeper than just believing ------you need to trust in and adhear to God and His truth ----

Also you must confess with your mouth that Jesus Is Lord ------Confessing out loud is declaring your True Faith in God ----

what you have confidence in --you will speak out -------

-
Thankyou, I will get a loud speaker and shout it from the roof tops if I get confidence.
I think I'm probably lacking confidence.

I was reading this scripture,"not everyone who calls out to me lord lord will enter the kingdom of heaven.
Only those who do the will of my father. Mat 7.21

This is massive to do the will of the father. The fathers will is mighty powerful strong, everlasting. If I pray to have a strong will, will it ever be as strong as the father ?.
Well if I look to scripture it says faith can move a mountain.
I would need a strong will to be able to keep the commandments, Jesus said if you want to recieve eternal life keep the commandments. Mat 19.17

I have all ready broken them I still give in to the enemy. I'm still breaking the commandments.

I am given in to temptation.

I do want to beat it, and have a desire to. But my will and weakness in areas of my life are not as strong as the will of the father. I repent of my sins and go days with out sinning but then over and over temptation comes knocking. I don't know truly if it's my own desire of temptation, or temptation from our advasary.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I was reading this scripture,"not everyone who calls out to me lord lord will enter the kingdom of heaven.
Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?” Jesus replied,
“The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.” John 6:28-29

glf

Mar 18, 2023
Thankyou, I will get a loud speaker and shout it from the roof tops if I get confidence.

This is massive to do the will of the father. The fathers will is mighty powerful strong, everlasting. If I pray to have a strong will, will it ever be as strong as the father ?.
I would need a strong will to be able to keep the commandments, Jesus said if you want to recieve eternal life keep the commandments. Mat 19.17

I have all ready broken them I still give in to the enemy. I'm still breaking the commandments.

I do want to beat it, and have a desire to. But my will and weakness in areas of my life are not as strong as the will of the father. I repent of my sins and go days with out sinning but then over and over temptation comes knocking. I don't know truly if it's my own desire of temptation, or temptation from our advasary.
2 Tim 3: 16 KJV "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness that the man of God may be thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Sorry, I have better things to do. Like I said, read the Bible, that's what most people do.
Poor response, IMO. If you are a christian, it is your job to engage the seeker, not point them to something else to read. Jesus always answered questions directly. The apostles engaged people in public debates. I don't see your response in scripture.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I believe that being saved can also be referenced as being christened, or the men of the old t, whom Jesus went and preached to in Abrahams bosom where saved. But had not yet received salvation,

Theres indication that I must believe in the father befor I can possibly truly believe in the son.

I am practicing Christianity, but I'm unsure I have received salvation. I was christened into the church of England and have always thought my faith or title was a Protestant,
The Bible tells us to repent -- not lip-service repentance.

It also tells us to believe in Jesus (and someone correct me here, but I think that means to believe that He is God in human form who's sacrifice on the Roman crucifix wiped our records clean).

And, it says to believe that He was raised from the dead.

I believe scripturally that's all that's required?

Of course, once you have repented and accepted Jesus as your only path to eternal life, you must live a life showing good works. These are not to save you, but to show that your repentance was genuine.

What do y'all say?

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
The requirement for salvation, being born again, and becoming a Christian according to scripture is

1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief
3. Repentance
4. Water immersion, baptism, for the forgiveness of your sins

Doing the above saves you, gives you the gift of the Holy Ghost, and adds toy to the Lord's body which is his church

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
Maybe it will help him if people post their testimony of how they got saved by the Lord.

I'll write mine later, but I hope some people post theirs too.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
Jesus never broke a single one of them. Believe in Him.

Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. Romans 4:8 (KJV)

L

Locoponydirtman

Its sad how complicated people make this subject. If you believe, get baptized. Thats it. Nothing more. Jesus said, " He who believes and is baptized is saved".
Therefore, keep believing keep studying keep learning keep cultivating your spiritual growth and love for God. Every time you sin repent.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019

Scripture and prayer, spend all your free time in scripture and prayer. Find a good local church that preaches the bible verse by verse, learn from the elders there.
Take what you read here with a grain of salt, there’s many deceived/deceivers on this site.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia

As a young person, people prayed over me and told me to get baptised.
As a young adult people told me to pray and get saved and then told me I must get baptised. I told everyone…..yes yes yes….. because I feared God.
They were denominational places.

But in the house of God there was rich ministry of the word of God.
And God opened my eyes to see and repent, outwardly and inwardly.
Now to know and do His will daily.
Not my will.
Gods will is for us to build His church.

Matthew 16:18 KJV
….I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
1 Corinthians 3:9 KJV
For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
As a young person, people prayed over me and told me to get baptised.
As a young adult people told me to pray and get saved and then told me I must get baptised. I told everyone…..yes yes yes….. because I feared God.
They were denominational places.

But in the house of God there was rich ministry of the word of God.
And God opened my eyes to see and repent, outwardly and inwardly.
Now to know and do His will daily.
Not my will.
Gods will is for us to build His church.

Matthew 16:18 KJV
….I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
1 Corinthians 3:9 KJV
For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
building brotherly love I can do, like peace to you brother.

Lets devine the father will a little
What is the will of the Father in Matthew 7:21?

The will of the father is whatever he has decreed in his knowledge his holiness and his grace,

His decrees include the plan for salvation, the future for mankind, and the righteous standard we must adhere to.
The will of the father is in all the bible from gen to rev.

Which as you say in a nut shell building a church 🙂

His will is also found in his ten commandments and in every command found in the bible.

Those who does the will of the father Go to heaven.

The meaning of does here means ongoing behaviour.

But then it says not everyone who calls out to lord will enter heaven,

However the most important will of the father is expressed in 1 John 3:23 that the will of the father is to believe in Christ, and love one another. Just as he as commanded us.
This is a commandment also and the will of the father.

The will of the father is also expressed in Phil 1.6
It says for I am confident that he who started a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ.

In ephes 4:13 Gods will is also expressed that God is transforming us into mature men, to even be like Christ.

But who will do these wills.
The answer is those who believe in Christ, Christians.

None Christians won't do these wills because why ? They have called on the lord but not believed in Christ. which is to do the will of the father.
I accept this could be a gradual process. I would love to know when I will recieve fullness, or when I will know I'm truly born again.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
What does it mean to be saved? To be a Christian?

1. You must believe you are a sinner!!

"As it is written:
“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one." Romans 3:10-12

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23

2. God gives us the faith to be saved.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand." Romans 5:1-2

God justifies us, or makes us righteous!

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved." Eph 2:4-5a

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Eph 2:8-10

If you are not saved by God, you are a dead person. But God can take you from death to life! God will give you grace through faith, and save you.

3. Once God gives you faith, you must believe in Christ! You have heard the gospel of God's saving grace, you now can be saved!

"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." Romans 10:8-10

This is the only way to be saved. You are not a Christian because you were born into a Christian family. You are not a Christian because you go to church, you are not a Christian for trying to work to be a better person. Works will always fail to save you, although we do follow Jesus, & obey his commands.

4. Here are several other ways the Bible says the same thing! Ask, like the Philippians jailer did, "What must I do to be saved?"

"He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” Acts 16:39-31

5. Here is a complete recounting of the gospel, in one place!

"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born." 1 Cor 15:1-8

6. Repentance! This follows salvation! We must repent to God of our sins. He will help us turn away from our sins!

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death." 2 Cor 7:10

"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:32

Finally, have you repented of your sins and turned to Christ?

"have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus." Acts 20:21

I hope by understanding the gospel, you will believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and you will follow him all the days of your life!

Mar 23, 2023
youtube.com
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 1 John 2:3

The fact that you are questioning whether you are saved or not is a good indicator that you are indeed in Christ.

Stay in the Word and keep seeking him. :)

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
What does it mean to be saved? To be a Christian?

1. You must believe you are a sinner!!

"As it is written:
“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one." Romans 3:10-12

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23

2. God gives us the faith to be saved.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand." Romans 5:1-2

God justifies us, or makes us righteous!

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved." Eph 2:4-5a

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Eph 2:8-10

If you are not saved by God, you are a dead person. But God can take you from death to life! God will give you grace through faith, and save you.

3. Once God gives you faith, you must believe in Christ! You have heard the gospel of God's saving grace, you now can be saved!

"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." Romans 10:8-10

This is the only way to be saved. You are not a Christian because you were born into a Christian family. You are not a Christian because you go to church, you are not a Christian for trying to work to be a better person. Works will always fail to save you, although we do follow Jesus, & obey his commands.

4. Here are several other ways the Bible says the same thing! Ask, like the Philippians jailer did, "What must I do to be saved?"

"He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” Acts 16:39-31

5. Here is a complete recounting of the gospel, in one place!

"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born." 1 Cor 15:1-8

6. Repentance! This follows salvation! We must repent to God of our sins. He will help us turn away from our sins!

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death." 2 Cor 7:10

"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:32

Finally, have you repented of your sins and turned to Christ?

"have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus." Acts 20:21

I hope by understanding the gospel, you will believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and you will follow him all the days of your life!
The correct and concise scriptural requirements for salvation I've laid out on the above post #29.
1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief consistent with Romans 10:9 and as was done by the Ethiopian eunuch as recorded on Acts 8
3. Repentance per Acts 2:38 as was told to the unbelieving Jews on the day of Pentecost
4. Baptism, immersion in water, for the remission of sins, also pursuant to Acts 2:38

Doing this you'll become saved, a Christian, be added to the Lord's body which is the church, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost Acts 2:38-47

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I believe that being saved can also be referenced as being christened, or the men of the old t, whom Jesus went and preached to in Abrahams bosom where saved. But had not yet received salvation,

I am practicing Christianity, but I'm unsure I have received salvation. I was christened into the church of England and have always thought my faith or title was a Protestant,
Read the New Testament? And ask yourself.. Do i believe that the teachings of Jesus are truth and good? And do i trust that the Atonement Jesus secured by His death on the cross fully pays the penalty that is due upon me because of my sins?

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Read the New Testament? And ask yourself.. Do i believe that the teachings of Jesus are truth and good? And do i trust that the Atonement Jesus secured by His death on the cross fully pays the penalty that is due upon me because of my sins?
There would be no point in me even practicing Christianity if I thought I couldn't recieve salvation. I'm just longing to know I am truly saved.

I'm prepared to wait, and be patient.

If i never truly believe im born again untill Jesus returns even that will not stop me practicing Christianity.

I truly believe the reason why Jesus went to cross.

I believe all the teaching of Jesus are Good also.

My studies so far of The lord Jesus teachings all add up to me there is nothing i don't understand on the teachings of Jesus where he spoken, or where teachings Where God the father has spoken. But where teachings of man's understanding has spoken i stumble.