Can I Get a Witness?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hoss2576

Senior Member
May 10, 2014
552
23
18
Last night I attended a concert featuring Sanctus Real and Francesca Battistelli, and I invited one of my friends to go along with me. He really had no clue who the two main artists were, but hey, it's a free concert on a Friday night. I on the other hand had ulterior motives. I knew this concert would be the perfect opportunity to witness to my friend. Sure enough, after the concert I asked him what he thought. At first, I got the quick "it was good," but I have learned to prod a little more. So I asked him if any songs stood out, and we began to discuss a few of the songs. Over the course of the next hour and a half drive we had a great discussion about God, and I was able to respond to a few misconceptions he had held. I got to plant the seed.

This isn't the first time that I have used concerts as a means to try to open the door to a witnessing opportunity. I have learned that it is a relaxed way to transition into a conversation about Christ and to learn where my friends stand. I will be the first one to admit, the direct door-to-door "Do you know Jesus?" always seemed a little daunting to me, and I have found it to be one of the least successful ways to really engage someone in a conversation about faith.

So how do you actively witness to people or start that conversation about faith with someone? I know our lives are our witness, but do you do other things like using a concert as a tool?
 
I try not to Jesus Juke anyone, but I am very open about my life (IRL): the hurts, heartaches and the recovery. I cannot relate what has happened and where I am at without preaching a little gospel along the way. Just about everyone likes to hear a redemption story... we can All relate - because either we've been redeemed, or we need to be.
 
For some reason when I saw the thread title my brain started playing Nicole C. Mullen's "Witness."

Can I get a witness? Aaaaah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Can I get a witness? Aaaaah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
 
Afraid I have not been a good witness lately and that I have disappointed God and for that I am truly sorry. So forgive my faulty witness please as I ask forgiveness to my God to help me repair the damage I have done.
 
So how do you actively witness to people or start that conversation about faith with someone? I know our lives are our witness, but do you do other things like using a concert as a tool?

People ask me why I'm different. Especially people who have watched me since everything went down with The Ex three years ago; they recognize that I'm not the same person I was, and even further, that I didn't do what they expected after the fallout. They see a behavior in me that doesn't compute, and it drives them to ask why I would choose to NOT be grouchy after standing around in the July heat all day, or why I'd volunteer if I can, or why I won't charm my way into someone's pants at the karaoke bar.

It all opens the door to a simple answer, and often times, sheer curiosity leads to more questions.

"You don't have to do this, you know. You could have done other things with your Thursday night."
"Who goes without sex for three years?!"
"After everything that happened, why are you still doing this?"
"Why do you care? Whether it's right or wrong, how is it your responsibility to fix it?"

"Because, it is what Christ demands of me."

I suppose that answer isn't completely truthful; "expect" would be a better word than "demand." But I still say it that way. People want to know, WHY ARE YOU DIFFERENT...Christ is the answer. ^_^
 
Last edited by a moderator: