"But among you there must not be a hint of sexual immorality or any kind of impiurity or of greed, because those are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscernity, foolish talk or coarse joking which are out of place but rather thanksgiving
For of this you can be sure, no immoral, impure or gredy person-such a man is an idolator has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God
LET NO-ONE DECEIVE YOU WITH EMPTY WORDS, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobediant
Eph 5:3-6
In that list is says there must be no himt of sexual immorality. In the passage I have often quoted from 1 Cor ch 6 it lists drunkards as one of the types of people who will not inherit eternal life
And yet when I ask you if a person who constantly, ceaselessly for ten years after a claimed conversion gets drunk and has constant affairs is in a saved state, you mostly refuse to answer, when you do you suggest they in all probability are"
Let's ask this same question to a lesser extreme ? Is somebody that struggles with any sin after ten years in a saved state ? How about five years ? Is somebody that struggles with envy or lust after five years in a saved state ? Let's use two years. Is somebody that struggles with anger after two years in a saved state ? Is anybody that struggles with any of the "minor sins" after one year in a saved state ? Are any of us that "still sin" in any manner in a saved state ?
Much of my belief concerning this has many times already been written, but out of courteousness to you I will try my best to once again tell you what I believe. All I ask is that you then do me the courtesy of replying honestly to one simple question I will ask of you
While we were yet without strength Christ died for the ungodly
Rom 5:6
When we come to Christ we are as yet without strength. Much sin/wrong in our lives we can ourselves immediately stop, sin that does not wrap itself tightly around us, but what of the deep rooted sin that we ourselves cannot stop?
We have a salvation that is not based on the law/being good enough, but by faith in Christ, our one and only righteousness for Heaven. And it is faith in Christ that will set us free of that which binds us, but it takes time.
At this early stage after conversion all a person can do is to look tpo Christ and trust him to deliver them from deep rooted sin in their life they in their heart are desperate to be free from. They are desperate to be free because the good laws of God He would have them keep have been written on their hearts and minds, meaning that in their hearts they want to live as God would have them live
The battle is not to give up with God, believing you are too much of a sinner to be saved. And while you are standing in faith, our one and only righteousness for Heaven much will be evident in a converts life that needs to be dealt with.
BUT if someone stands by faith in Christ, and earnestly trusts him to deliver them from that which binds them HE MUST DO IT. And over time the convert will see much victory in their life over sin(if they are sincere). If we querstion whether this will happen we must question whether the cross of Christ carries power and authority to deliver people from sin.
For becasue a person is living by faith in Christ and not under law, sin shall not be their master. That is what is plainly written in the Bible. Does this mean we will be perfect in the flesh? No! We all foul up and we are constantly being changed for the duration of our time on this earth
To address your specific question
I am quite sure the 'head theologists' will be aghast at my next comments
But Paul is clear. There is sin that if not dealt with in our lives will mean we cannot inherit the kingdom of Heaven. Please read
1 Cor 6:9&10
Gal 5:19-21
Eph 5:3-7
If you do not agree with this please take it to God, I did not write the Bible
Are we upon conversion immediately expected to be free of sins that Paul says if constanmtly committted(which is what I take them to mean) will mean we can not inherit eternal life? No!
But do you not believe that when we come to God through Christ He will deal with our sin/wrong in order of priority?
Now as for impurity
I believe Paul was speaking of wrong relationships ie adultery, affairs etc, he made that clear in other scripture given. There must be no hint of this
The man who was sleeping with his Father's wife was to be put out of the church 1 Cor ch 5
Of course we all as individuals struggle with lustful thoughts etc, and trials and temptations are the lot of the Christian, the Bible is clear about that, but the more we are willing for Christ to change us, the more he will, but we will never be free of temptaion, but as we grow we are expected to resist temptation as we become stronger in the faith
And incidentally, Spurgeon believed that we would have sin in our life until the day we die that we should bemoan the fact we have, but if certain sin was not dealt with it would be fatal for us
Now to my question to you
The verses I quoted that you have replied to were put up for one reason
I have many times put to Red the following
A person IMMEDIATELY after a claimed conversion and for the next ten years constantly, ceaselessly has affairs, gets drunk, beats their wife and does not read a Bible, are they in a saved state?
Now I know you and I disagree on whether Christ is God Himself, but this is a different subject and I am just asking you to be honest from your heart, not reply with a 'head theology' of scripture
If a person came to your church and claimed a salvation experiance and you saw them night after night get drunk, if you knew that they were having affairs one after the other while coming to church, fellowshipping with you and proffessing they were a Christian, and if you knew this man constantly beat his wife and did not read a Bible, what would you discern concerning his salvation if this went on constantly for ten years, and I KNOW you would have an opinion.
Because I have been to churches for thirty years and never met anyone who would believe such a person could possibly be in a saved state.
And to defend the truth of the Gospel, this should be made plain to the congregation
So as I have answered your question as best I can please answer mine
In your opinion is the man in question in a saved state, yes or no?