Can someone lose their salvation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter selenah
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I have one more thing to say about these salvation doctrines.. I think we need to hear these men out. We need to listen to everything they say in the gospels and the letters to the churches. We need to give credit and take heed to every Word they say and especially to the Words of our Lord.. We need to stop taking words and a verse here and a verse there and building these doctrines on the parts we like and that are easy on the ears. We are talking about Our eternal destiny and possible the eternal hope of every ear we bend. We better stop listening to men and start listening with open ears and open eyes and open hearts to the Word of God. We have to go to Jesus realizing we are nekid, poor, wretched and blind so we can ask for sight, healing, gold refined in the fire and a proper garment for the kings banquet.. or he will spew who? the church? out of his mouth.
 
Eph.2:8-9 and all of John 15 states it all very much alot clearly every 1 prayerfully read it then continue talking i am including my self here too.
 
i have great faith grandpa.. i have faith that God will do everything Christ Spoke including throw my rebellious, stubborn behind into an eternal lake of fire If I don't get serious and value his Word over the desires of my flesh.. And knowing how obstinate I am, it takes great faith in his Power for me to believe if I remain in him he is gonna make me like (transform me into the likeness) his Son who obeyed him in all things..

I think I have taken him at his word and pushed his forgiving 70x7 on more then one day of my life..

ezekiel 36

23 And I will sanctify My great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes. 24 For I will take you from among the nations, gather you out of all countries, and bring you into your own land. 25 Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

NOW how much faith does it take to believe he is gonna put his Spirit in me and cause " ME" to walk in his statues and keep his judgments and do them.

the Holy Spirit in our heart puts us in remembrance of Christs Words? This is how he works in me..

Me "Man I hate that guy i can'r believe what he is doing" Holy Spirit" How can you say you love God and hate your neighbor?" ME "forgive me Lord I need your Holy Spirit to shed your love in my heart" "forgive him Lord" Me "LOrd, I'm hurt So bad i can't forgive him" Holy spirit "If you do not forgive those who trespass against you, neither will my father in heaven forgive you" Me "Yes LOrd" "Give me strength by your spirit to forgive him".

You know how much faith it takes to believe His Holy Spirit is talking to me and I aint someone that needs to go take a pill?

How can you say that obedience to his Word isn't faith in Christ? you must not have as much stubbornness as me. Cause I have to have faith to believe His Word and act on it.. and that takes faith to be not only a hearer but a doer.

Have you seen the excuses this World is giving us? It takes Faith to believe every word of God and it takes faith in his Power to try to do what his word says to do.

If I didn't believe the blood of Christ is able to cleanse me I sure wouldn't waist my time studying his Word and believing he can move me to do good works he has prepared for me..

I don't have to read very far to see I'm Going to hell if he don't help me.
 
We are saved by faith.

But if you think you can lose your salvation then you have no faith.

Or rather you have faith that you can't ever be saved in the present. Your faith is in salvation that happens in the future. Which is no salvation. The future can be a very slippery slope. God is not iffy, wishy washy, biting His fingernails hoping you make the right decision this time.

Salvation is for us, right now. If you can lose it, it was never salvation. It was just help to make it through some given situation that happened in the past.

perhaps adding that if you believe that you can't lose your salvation, it doesn't mean you won't do what God has asked for you to do.

it just means you will do it for a different reason: not to try and keep what has already been given to you, but to share with others as God has asked you to His love, Light and Truth.

It is what is meant to enter into God's rest and to lay by still waters, to allow the living waters to overflow from your heart. All referring to spiritual imagery.

Jeremiah 17:8
For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit.
 
YES............2nd Peter 2v20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
 
Grampa if you will, Please read James 2 and tell me how it fits into the doctrine ?

I'm not saying I can earn anything from God. I'm saying my faith is in him doing what he said, which is I will be made by him into someone that produces his fruit of his Spirit with his acts and works IF I remain in him. If I do not remain in him. I will have no fruit, i will be cast aside and thrown in the fire.. and by faith I believe it. so I'm clinging with fear (reverence) and trembling for sure. We overcome by the blood of the lamb, the Word of our testimony and our faithfulness unto death.. I'm holding on to him till I'm dead cause I have faith he will do everything he said.

and when I know I can't love in my own strength and he puts that love in me cause I asked.. Holy Holy Holy.. I see the evidence of my faith.Glory hallelujah he does exactly what he promises when I do exactly what he has instructed and I don't do what he has warned me not to do.
 
we're not holding on to Him, He's holding on to us and that is why we do not to cling with fear or trembling

because we are enfolded in His loving arms, guided gently by His leading us as a Good shepherd, not with whips and chains but with a word and touch.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyoVJfADlwo[/video]

Casting Crowns - East to West - YouTube

Why do people fear?

God does not put in us a Spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
Romans 8:15
For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

the only time one should fear God is if you truly do things you KNOW are against God's laws like worship idols like in 2 Corinthians 6 and then God rebukes you like in 2 Corinthians 7
Psalm 23:1-3

New King James Version (NKJV)


23 The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

sometimes God does not tell us to walk, but to rest and have our soul restored.
 
Hebrews 4

Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.


Peace and Blessings in the name of Yahvah God and Yahshua the Messiah.
 
Grampa if you will, Please read James 2 and tell me how it fits into the doctrine ?

I'm not saying I can earn anything from God. I'm saying my faith is in him doing what he said, which is I will be made by him into someone that produces his fruit of his Spirit with his acts and works IF I remain in him. If I do not remain in him. I will have no fruit, i will be cast aside and thrown in the fire.. and by faith I believe it. so I'm clinging with fear (reverence) and trembling for sure. We overcome by the blood of the lamb, the Word of our testimony and our faithfulness unto death.. I'm holding on to him till I'm dead cause I have faith he will do everything he said.

and when I know I can't love in my own strength and he puts that love in me cause I asked.. Holy Holy Holy.. I see the evidence of my faith.Glory hallelujah he does exactly what he promises when I do exactly what he has instructed and I don't do what he has warned me not to do.

It is all the work of God. Our faith, the "work" that comes from this, and the Salvation it leads us to.

Ezekiel 36 explains it perfectly which you posted.

It seems to be what you believe also but apparently there is a point when you can defeat God's plan for you and it scares you. I don't believe anyone can defeat God's plan. Who has resisted His Will?

There is a reason why He is the Rock, why He is the Foundation. His Salvation is sure. He is mighty to Save. All we, as little children, trust in Him.

It must be terrible to think every day could be the day you lose your salvation forever. I don't know why a person would tell another person that. If you've been given this heavy burden to bear why in the world would you want to spread the disease any further?

I suppose this must be a lot like the difference between a son and a servant. They both appear to be doing the exact same things, but the condition of their hearts are 180 degrees apart. The servant thinks he must obey the master or else be thrown out. The son obeys his father because he loves his father and wants his father to be pleased.

The servant says "you must obey or you will be cast out"

The son says "it is not about obeying. It is not about our works we do for the master. It is about love. His Love for us and our love for Him"

Love must be our cause for what we do. This is not something we can manufacture ourselves. It is absolutely a Gift from God.

Thanks Ariel82 for tempering one of those other posts... You were right on.
 
i Don't think anyone can defeat his plan Grandpa.. He entered covenant with him self since his covenant is with Christ and those of us that remain in Christ benefit from his covenant.

I don't think everyday I loose his salvation, i think Gods Word says I need to renew it, take my daily portion and renew my self in him.. Everyday I get out of bed smiling knowing the minute i ask him his mercy is new for me that day just like my first day in him. I don't know why anyone would want to walk away and not remain in him and abide in his Word. But, I know this.. If I walked away thinking I got my inheritance now and I can go back to be like I was before I came to know him.. I'd be lost.. as lost as I was before I found him. And I'd be dead, every bit as dead as I was before the first day i came to him.
 
Originally Posted by Grandpa
We are saved by faith.

But if you think you can lose your salvation then you have no faith.

Or rather you have faith that you can't ever be saved in the present. Your faith is in salvation that happens in the future. Which is no salvation. The future can be a very slippery slope. God is not iffy, wishy washy, biting His fingernails hoping you make the right decision this time.

Salvation is for us, right now. If you can lose it, it was never salvation. It was just help to make it through some given situation that happened in the past.
perhaps adding that if you believe that you can't lose your salvation, it doesn't mean you won't do what God has asked for you to do.

it just means you will do it for a different reason: not to try and keep what has already been given to you, but to share with others as God has asked you to His love, Light and Truth.

It is what is meant to enter into God's rest and to lay by still waters, to allow the living waters to overflow from your heart. All referring to spiritual imagery.

Jeremiah 17:8
For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit.

perhaps adding that if you believe that you can't lose your salvation, it doesn't mean you won't do what God has asked for you to do.

it just means you will do it for a different reason: not to try and keep what has already been given to you, but to share with others as God has asked you to His love, Light and Truth.

It is what is meant to enter into God's rest and to lay by still waters, to allow the living waters to overflow from your heart. All referring to spiritual imagery.

Jeremiah 17:8
For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit.

I agree, He holds us and we obey out of love.

Faith which worketh by Love....Jesus said if you Love me..keep my commandments..Right?

The fearful are tossed into the lake of fire...perfect love casts out fear.
 
It is all the work of God. Our faith, the "work" that comes from this, and the Salvation it leads us to.

Ezekiel 36 explains it perfectly which you posted.

It seems to be what you believe also but apparently there is a point when you can defeat God's plan for you and it scares you. I don't believe anyone can defeat God's plan. Who has resisted His Will?

There is a reason why He is the Rock, why He is the Foundation. His Salvation is sure. He is mighty to Save. All we, as little children, trust in Him.

It must be terrible to think every day could be the day you lose your salvation forever. I don't know why a person would tell another person that. If you've been given this heavy burden to bear why in the world would you want to spread the disease any further?

I suppose this must be a lot like the difference between a son and a servant. They both appear to be doing the exact same things, but the condition of their hearts are 180 degrees apart. The servant thinks he must obey the master or else be thrown out. The son obeys his father because he loves his father and wants his father to be pleased.

The servant says "you must obey or you will be cast out"

The son says "it is not about obeying. It is not about our works we do for the master. It is about love. His Love for us and our love for Him"

Love must be our cause for what we do. This is not something we can manufacture ourselves. It is absolutely a Gift from God.

Thanks Ariel82 for tempering one of those other posts... You were right on.

Grandpa....but there is a constant barrage on us by the lose your salvation/perfectionists.
it reminds me of Matt 4 the first attack was" if thou be the Son of God".....perform!

We are told to cease from "our" works and rest..and abide...and trust!
How can we trust? If salvation is that fickle.
 
Question: Why did the prodigal go home?
This parable needs to be set in a real true setting...based on the Power of God
His ability to work on a heart, and at times the chastening He gives.
before we make doctrine of it. Also who He was telling the story to and what it
really meant to the hearer.
 
Last edited:
Grandpa....but there is a constant barrage on us by the lose your salvation/perfectionists.
it reminds me of Matt 4 the first attack was" if thou be the Son of God".....perform!

We are told to cease from "our" works and rest..and abide...and trust!
How can we trust? If salvation is that fickle.

I believe one can lose their salvation, yet I am not a "perfectionist". The Bible teaches repentance, perfect people would not need it.

Thats usually how it gets turned around though, if one repeats Heb 10:26, the next question is "so you dont ever sin"? As if I said yes or no, that would change what the passage said.

It's not like what I say does not apply to me, because I am so perfect. I need repentance just as much as everyone else. But if I choose not to repent, then who fault is that?

So it's not a perfectionist message. Yet that's what everyone needs to believe the message is, so it will be easy to reject.

I dont know what you believe, but many OSAS say if a person lives in sin he was never saved. Again, if what I interprete the Bible to say is a perfectionist message, then how is that one not either?

that is saying, everyone who has not changed their lives was never saved. But I know that is not a perfectionist message, I understand what those who say this mean. Nither is what I repeat, "repent or ye shall all like wise perish". Luk 13:3.

Nothing fun about me believing if I fall into sin, and never repent, I will lose heaven.

There is nothing evil about believing sin will separate us from God, the Bible tells us this - Isa 59:1-2, Jn 9:31.

The point of the prodigal son, is not to teach if we choose sin God will force us to come back.

The point of the parable is while the son lived in sin, his condition was "Dead", we he returned (repented) ONLY then was his condition changed back to "alive" - Luk 15:24.

God may chastise some who are sin, but for how long? He does not force us to obey/love him.

Bottom line, if the son would have stayed in the world, he would have stayed "dead". How many saved people does the Bible ever refer to as "dead"?
 
I believe one can lose their salvation, yet I am not a "perfectionist". The Bible teaches repentance, perfect people would not need it.

Thats usually how it gets turned around though, if one repeats Heb 10:26, the next question is "so you dont ever sin"? As if I said yes or no, that would change what the passage said.This verse has to be understood in context. Why do you say repeats? This has to do with some things the Hebrews could do...leaving the truth of Christs blood sacrifice for sin. Which is in the context of turning back to judiasm, and forsaking the church assembly. Im not saying there is no application for us. For anyone to turn from Christ and not accept His sacrifice for justification he would be lost. But did he lose his salvation? Yes! did he ever have salvation? Doest say. But if you feel you can use this as a proof text..dont wimp and say "repeats"

It's not like what I say does not apply to me, because I am so perfect. I need repentance just as much as everyone else. But if I choose not to repent, then who fault is that?Ive never said or believed repentance wasnt necessary, its the first step in conversion, followed by daily confession.

So it's not a perfectionist message. Yet that's what everyone needs to believe the message is, so it will be easy to reject.I havnt a clue what your going on about.

I dont know what you believe, but many OSAS say if a person lives in sin he was never saved. Again, if what I interprete the Bible to say is a perfectionist message, then how is that one not either? How? can a person with a new nature and a new heart carry on in sin? Thats what people are trying to tell you.
Ive never liked to say osas..although i dont believe you can lose your salvation. But i dont debate it...i just add in stuff usually...for a listener, never to those who teach you can...pointless to do that from what i see.

that is saying, everyone who has not changed their lives was never saved. But I know that is not a perfectionist message, I understand what those who say this mean. Nither is what I repeat, "repent or ye shall all like wise perish". Luk 13:3.

Nothing fun about me believing if I fall into sin, and never repent, I will lose heaven. repentance comes from grace given by the Father...not something we muster.

There is nothing evil about believing sin will separate us from God, the Bible tells us this - Isa 59:1-2, Jn 9:31.
Yes i agree sin seperates us from God, not God from us.

The point of the prodigal son, is not to teach if we choose sin God will force us to come back.
Drawing is not forcing, anymore than Jesus leaving the ninety nine abused the straying sheep..even tho He brakes their leg.And carries them for a spell.

The point of the parable is while the son lived in sin, his condition was "Dead", we he returned (repented) ONLY then was his condition changed back to "alive" - Luk 15:24.This story had other meaning to His listeners you cant use it for this op's point. There are many uses in the bible for dead alive, besides salvation. Else you want to say a man can get saved, get damned, then get saved again. This story CANNOT be used for the for or against osas, that just is not the point at all to the three parables but to show how heaven rejoices when a sinner repents. Nowhere does it say anyone was saved first.

God may chastise some who are sin, but for how long? He does not force us to obey/love him.He chastises all His children, and will even judge them and end their life if need be.

Bottom line, if the son would have stayed in the world, he would have stayed "dead". How many saved people does the Bible ever refer to as "dead"?
.....................

Well thats my story...thing is you havnt made a case at all with any scripture that was relevant.
I do agree we need to repent before conversion. And confess sins as necessary.:)
 
Last edited:
The point of the parable is while the son lived in sin, his condition was "Dead", we he returned (repented) ONLY then was his condition changed back to "alive" - Luk 15:24.


Show me where it says he was alive, then dead, then alive again. Naughty naughty
Its bad enough to use an inapropriate verse to make a point that isnt in the text.
Worst to use a slight of hand addition to it.
 
I do not know why so many see and use (Heb 10:26) as a point of reference for losing salvation that has already been gained by faith through the blood of Christ. This reference is dealing with the Jews being drawn away from trusting in the old system of blood sacrifices unto the once and for all sacrifice of the blood of the Lamb of God. They had gained much ground in being drawn and persuaded and if they had left that and went back to the old system of sacrifices it would be impossible to win them back to that place of repentance. To 'sin willfully' is a reference to trampling the blood of Blood of Christ and doing despite to the Spirit of grace and going back and trusting in those sacrifices of bulls and goats, which could not perfect or cleanse the conscience or provide for total remission of sins.

Many today have heard the gospel and have been drawn by the gospel unto Jesus Christ but instead of trusting in His sacrifice and blood to cleanse them from their sins they have remained in unbelief and trust in the way that seems right to them and in the arm of flesh of human goodness and self righteousness and have never been saved or cleansed by the blood of Christ. They have come to a place of repentance but never allowed God to turn them unto the righteousness of God by faith. They may have a religious conscience that is aware of God and even consider themselves to be Christian or a spiritual person, but they remain in unbelief in the living God that must be believed upon to be cleansed from all sin and have eternal life through Christ.
 
I do not know why so many see and use (Heb 10:26) as a point of reference for losing salvation that has already been gained by faith through the blood of Christ. This reference is dealing with the Jews being drawn away from trusting in the old system of blood sacrifices unto the once and for all sacrifice of the blood of the Lamb of God. They had gained much ground in being drawn and persuaded and if they had left that and went back to the old system of sacrifices it would be impossible to win them back to that place of repentance. To 'sin willfully' is a reference to trampling the blood of Blood of Christ and doing despite to the Spirit of grace and going back and trusting in those sacrifices of bulls and goats, which could not perfect or cleanse the conscience or provide for total remission of sins.

Many today have heard the gospel and have been drawn by the gospel unto Jesus Christ but instead of trusting in His sacrifice and blood to cleanse them from their sins they have remained in unbelief and trust in the way that seems right to them and in the arm of flesh of human goodness and self righteousness and have never been saved or cleansed by the blood of Christ. They have come to a place of repentance but never allowed God to turn them unto the righteousness of God by faith. They may have a religious conscience that is aware of God and even consider themselves to be Christian or a spiritual person, but they remain in unbelief in the living God that must be believed upon to be cleansed from all sin and have eternal life through Christ.

big_amen1.jpg
 
Opps a tad loud....oh well...it had to be heard.
The Hebrews were being convinced the cross
didnt mean anything and they needed to return to Judiasm.
They were even calling it an unholy thing.
In otherwords the sin here is that.
 
Last edited: