Can Someone Please Help Me Answer This?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 1, 2021
Somehow, for some reason.... I dunno if it's because I just haven't asked the right people, or maybe it's because I haven't been able to articulate in a clear, coherent way what I'm asking. But... I thought I would try it here and now, now that I have a more organized brain and this seems to be a nice, friendly board. ^^;

I'm literally trying to figure out what the meaning of life is. Why are we born? What is the point of being here while we are here? What is the point after we die?

Now... just to be clear, I already know/have pretty much accepted some rudimentary answers I have heard before. I mean, it's pretty simple, right? If you believe in Jesus and live according to Him, you can go to Heaven forever... if you don't, you go to Hell along with all the demons who chose to turn away from God.

But I just feel like there are some questions/some areas that that answer/explanation... doesn't really cover.

So let me ask again. What is the point of being here?

I have been told that some of the blessings that we are meant to enjoy are here on this Earth during this life, now... and that this life isn't meant to be a spectator sport. We're meant to live it.

But in a way... so what? Some of God's chosen people were blessed with great wealth... which they ultimately had to leave behind when they died. We are promised better things in Heaven that would probably make anything on Earth pale in comparison, but... why have anything on Earth, then?

I have also heard that you aren't supposed to hoard everything you have, you should share at least some of it with the needy. So again... why have anything?

Perhaps to some degree, I am a bit bitter when it comes to possessions because I have moved many times in my life and with each move, I had to leave behind things that were irreplaceable that I miss dearly, some days more than others... and maybe the only thing I can comfort myself with at this point is the hard, cold logic that when you die... you don't get to take anything with you anyway, not even your body. So I just comfort myself with the fact that... those were just things. And I simply parted ways with it prematurely before my death.... and in some ways, it has also made it a lot easier for me to donate to local charities more readily, because I don't get quite so clingy/attached to things or quite so reluctant to give it up.

If anything, I can't even stand having that much in my space anymore.

But still....

Why have anything?

And what is the point of living life?

Mar 12, 2021
Birmingham, AL
Somehow, for some reason.... I dunno if it's because I just haven't asked the right people, or maybe it's because I haven't been able to articulate in a clear ... what is the point of living life?
It seems the purpose of life is to live the best life you can. Know: There are groups ... trying to destroy the lives of good people. They are much in control, devastating and ...; the world seems to be controlled by them. In short do the best you can in lieu of that, that is all you can do; but know that is the force we have to fight. If you are not going to live for good then I do not know-you have to decide how you want to live your life. Part of life is about quality of life, not quantities and not saying if you are handicap that you have bad quality of life. Life is about abuse from others (avoiding it) and having a good quality of life; those are the things we have to work on.

Mar 1, 2021
Short and sweet: To glorify God.
I.... really hope that no one takes offense to what I'm about to say, because... what I am about to say will sound like I am judging God in a way. It is something I'm a little scared to ask due to the fact that I have been snapped at in some places for saying such at worst, not really given a clear answer at least. But...

One thing I am still trying to understand is how exactly God can demand things as though ego isn't involved? I mean... how and why is it, exactly, that God gets to dictate the terms and conditions?

I mean... I have been told before by Christian radio speakers (and some things I've read online) that God created everything and everything comes from Him anyway, so mere creations don't have any real right to get uppity about anything or claim utmost possession. But still...

How is it that God is so above and set apart from everything that the only things apparently %100 pure are the Trinity, the angels, Heaven itself and the souls who are in Heaven right now?

Or maybe more to the point... what was it like before God decided to create anything? I have been told that time as we know it probably didn't even exist until God created everything, possibly including physical and linear reality in of itself along with the tangible heavenly bodies of the solar system and everything in it. But... there was still God, God made everything... and was offended when creation rebelled.

So is there like... just some pocket of untouchable reality out there someplace, where God resides and has always resided? Did God create Heaven at the same time (or maybe just before) he created the Earth and everything else, or what? Or... if truly nothing else existed in the very beginning (or perhaps BEFORE the beginning...), was there literally just God, entirely in limbo in a vast void or possibly some equivalent of an air-tight, snug-fitting... space?

And is there a slim possibility that maybe there was something before us, and maybe the souls of a previous species are already in Heaven and it's our turn now... or are we truly the first and only? (And after the era of humanity is done and God makes a new Earth and everything... will He create a new species just to see how they fare and whether or not they follow the rules...? Or might Heaven itself be populated with a multitude of different races and species like Narnia or Middle Earth?)

Just some thoughts I guess.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Sometimes a cluttered mind has not the ability to grasp real time reality,
and strive to live a happy, joyful life, here in the now. Acceptance often presents
challenges, and some may not have the ability to adjust accordingly, thereby living
a perplexed life."

tenor9IYMK91O.gif

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
One thing I am still trying to understand is how exactly God can demand things as though ego
isn't involved? I mean... how and why is it, exactly, that God gets to dictate the terms and conditions?
God may seem to demand our absolute adoration and worship etc, but the reality is, we have a choice. We have a choice, and the inclination of the natural man is to reject God, to put one's own self in the place of God, until one is born again of the Holy Spirit of God, and surrenders to the absolute that is God. We love because He first loved us. Have you heard that saying? It is Biblical :) When one comes to know God, and especially perhaps if one experiences God's love and forgiveness, His mercy and grace, it is nigh impossible not to love Him in return. In acknowledging Who He is, the One Who has all power and authority, the architect of the universe, and the giver of life, it makes sense to accept that He gets to set the terms, those being, that those who reject Him are, in the final analysis, rejected by Him. God does want all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth, and He has promised to reveal Himself to those who seek Him diligently and sincerely. The search for meaning and purpose is ages old, and God is quite naturally (or supernaturally ;)) at the center of it, because one's purpose is inextricably attached to our Maker, the Creator. Everything else pales in comparison.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
I.... really hope that no one takes offense to what I'm about to say, because... what I am about to say will sound like I am judging God in a way. It is something I'm a little scared to ask due to the fact that I have been snapped at in some places for saying such at worst, not really given a clear answer at least. But...

One thing I am still trying to understand is how exactly God can demand things as though ego isn't involved? I mean... how and why is it, exactly, that God gets to dictate the terms and conditions?

I mean... I have been told before by Christian radio speakers (and some things I've read online) that God created everything and everything comes from Him anyway, so mere creations don't have any real right to get uppity about anything or claim utmost possession. But still...

How is it that God is so above and set apart from everything that the only things apparently %100 pure are the Trinity, the angels, Heaven itself and the souls who are in Heaven right now?

Or maybe more to the point... what was it like before God decided to create anything? I have been told that time as we know it probably didn't even exist until God created everything, possibly including physical and linear reality in of itself along with the tangible heavenly bodies of the solar system and everything in it. But... there was still God, God made everything... and was offended when creation rebelled.

So is there like... just some pocket of untouchable reality out there someplace, where God resides and has always resided? Did God create Heaven at the same time (or maybe just before) he created the Earth and everything else, or what? Or... if truly nothing else existed in the very beginning (or perhaps BEFORE the beginning...), was there literally just God, entirely in limbo in a vast void or possibly some equivalent of an air-tight, snug-fitting... space?

And is there a slim possibility that maybe there was something before us, and maybe the souls of a previous species are already in Heaven and it's our turn now... or are we truly the first and only? (And after the era of humanity is done and God makes a new Earth and everything... will He create a new species just to see how they fare and whether or not they follow the rules...? Or might Heaven itself be populated with a multitude of different races and species like Narnia or Middle Earth?)

Just some thoughts I guess.
Ah, this reminds me of my kids. They often wonder why I get to make the rules. Why I get to stay up later or get an extra snack or go out and do "xyz". Because I'm the Mom! I think it's the same with Yahweh. He's our Daddy and we're the kids. He sets the rules because he's the one in charge.

As for why we're here? Why we were created? Revelation 4:11
"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

He enjoys having us around. Again, reminds me of why I had kids. I enjoy having them around. They give me pleasure (and grief! lol) and I enjoy their different personalities and stories and the way they see life.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Somehow, for some reason.... I dunno if it's because I just haven't asked the right people, or maybe it's because I haven't been able to articulate in a clear, coherent way what I'm asking. But... I thought I would try it here and now, now that I have a more organized brain and this seems to be a nice, friendly board. ^^;

I'm literally trying to figure out what the meaning of life is. Why are we born? What is the point of being here while we are here? What is the point after we die?

Now... just to be clear, I already know/have pretty much accepted some rudimentary answers I have heard before. I mean, it's pretty simple, right? If you believe in Jesus and live according to Him, you can go to Heaven forever... if you don't, you go to Hell along with all the demons who chose to turn away from God.

But I just feel like there are some questions/some areas that that answer/explanation... doesn't really cover.

I have been told that some of the blessings that we are meant to enjoy are here on this Earth during this life, now... and that this life isn't meant to be a spectator sport. We're meant to live it.

But in a way... so what? Some of God's chosen people were blessed with great wealth... which they ultimately had to leave behind when they died. We are promised better things in Heaven that would probably make anything on Earth pale in comparison, but... why have anything on Earth, then?

I have also heard that you aren't supposed to hoard everything you have, you should share at least some of it with the needy. So again... why have anything?

Perhaps to some degree, I am a bit bitter when it comes to possessions because I have moved many times in my life and with each move, I had to leave behind things that were irreplaceable that I miss dearly, some days more than others... and maybe the only thing I can comfort myself with at this point is the hard, cold logic that when you die... you don't get to take anything with you anyway, not even your body. So I just comfort myself with the fact that... those were just things. And I simply parted ways with it prematurely before my death.... and in some ways, it has also made it a lot easier for me to donate to local charities more readily, because I don't get quite so clingy/attached to things or quite so reluctant to give it up.

But still....

Why have anything?

Hello Lorenalana,

I can some this up by listing what Paul said and should be every believers position:

"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

As believers in Christ, we are to take up our crosses daily, which means that we are to keep our testimony of Him and His word no matter what, through persecution and even the threat of death. In our spirits we have to be ready to give our lives keeping our faith in Him. Regarding Paul, Jesus said, "This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” All believers should have a spirit with this same resolve. This is why God tests our faith, so as to refine it like gold being refined in the fire. The fire being the situations that God allows to take place in each believers life.

God is not saying that we can't have anything. If we all sold our houses, our cars and everything that we own, then the entire church would be a burden to the world, wandering around with no place to live and with no way to make a living. The Lord searches our hearts and minds, so He knows the state of our spirits and whether or not He is first in our lives and what we are withholding. If He didn't want to have anything, how could the following be possible:

"no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for My sake and for the gospel will fail to receive a hundredfold in the present age—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields, along with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life."

Jesus also said, "I have come that they may have life and life more abundantly."

Therefore, let us remain in His word and in prayer, looking for every good word for the glory of God and which the Lord said by doing so, we are building up our treasures in heaven. Let us the have the same spirit as Paul saying:

"For me to live is Christ and to die is gain."

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You want an answer from ...me how to live YOUR life or do you want to know what God says in the Bible about life.
I cant just give you a short word if you've never even tried to read the Bible and have NO idea of what Im quoting from.

What I can say is that God created humans in His image so for His good pleasure. The original first two inhabitants of this earth were commanded to look after His creation...all the plants and animals etc.

ok then. all this stuff went wrong in the garden and sin entered the picture and it was us humans that were at fault for ruining everything for disobeying God..and that has carried on right up till the present day pretty much. People suffer and die and life is pretty meaningless after the novelty has worn off for most people.

However the good news is Jesus has sacrfiiced his life so that we can have another chance to live forever. So by his blood we are saved and to be raised and born again just like He was. And He has given us the grace to tell others about this and to live life even in our suffering, to have joy and love and all the good stuff that makes us want to go on living because of help He give us by the holy spirit.

Pretty much in my own nutshell is what life is all about. Now if you dont have the holy spirit, You need to ask for Him to send to you. . Cos we believers cant live without the holy spirit.

You dont get the spirit by accumulating a lot of stuff or by earning it or even by being self righteously well behaved.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You can ask God your questions and He will answer you if you care to spend time with Him. He might not tell you everything though and reserves the right to conceal a matter. I mean its good that you are curious but if you wanna know stuff ask Him!.

Mar 23, 2021
You can ask God your questions and He will answer you if you care to spend time with Him. He might not tell you everything though and reserves the right to conceal a matter. I mean its good that you are curious but if you wanna know stuff ask Him!.
Well said. God loves a questioner.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Lenoralana,
Our purpose here is to be united with our Creator.
He has given us all things to share and enjoy and it is right to thank him above all others.
He visited us and was horribly mistreated by mankind. This shows how God feels when we sin against him. And in spite of this, he still extends his hand towards us in friendship.
Personally, I still can't fully comprehend love like that, but I'm learning. :)

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Lenoralana... great question that even the world asks. :) has to be more than this rinse and repeat huh. I think the classic answer which I call that because it was the 1st thing that popped in my head lol. Yet each time I say it to others about Him I ask myself.. have I done it? Seeked Him asked Him waited on Him blah blah blah. I don't know why He answers fast yet other times..

Could look at it like...what if your a mother what would you tell your children? Its just wonderful awesome to say God put you here in this time for a reason. Since the start of this.. this moment is where He wanted you. Good to go now? nope.. still have the question huh. In this world your more blessed to take whereas with the Father He always gives.. more blessed to give.. He is always giving.

So... lol the first song I ever sang in front of people "its my desire" ...so what's your desire? If we took the time we would KNOW just where those desires come from :) See what He started in you.. He will finish. Your not puppet no slave. He came here to give you life.. and give it more abundantly. Now GOD....Israel...God wanted to be there king...God said they didn't me as their king. He didn't cry in a corner or anything.. lol He needs nothing yet He still gave then a king.

Ask Him to show you what love really is and means. With love..You love to give you love to help you love nothing more then to make them happy. You never once think of yourself. To do all that for them and never getting anything back brings you so much happiness and joy. It is all about giving it away. Christ died for the world..

So what do you want? Whats your desire? He made you...so you do have the right to ask Him just why? And when He tells you ..you will cry...because you truly are that special to Him.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013

But still....

Why have anything?

Gos created the heavens and earth. When we understand a little of what that involved and the sheer majesty of his creation, we can understand that he wanted someone to share it with him, bearing in mind it had not been corrupted by sin.

So he created Adam and then Eve as two people that were to enjoy his creation. If sin had not entered, that is what we would have been doing. Enjoying his creation. Looking at a magnificent sunset. Enjoying the beauty of flowers. Seeing the lion and the lamb playing together. Not having to worry about cooking, cleaning or pulling out weeds.

Today he is wanting to see as many as possible return to his kingdom to enjoy the blessings of it and prepare the future for his prescence and glory in the eternal kingdom as it was always intended to be. As the scripture says, we are His ambassadors on earth until he returns.

How that works out in life is betwen you and the Lord. I know one thing. Laying up treasures on earth is a waste of time because it is treasures in heaven that is our focus. In my studies of the New Testament Church, being prosperous is having enough food for today and some left over for tomorrow. Beyond that is not our problem.

Take no thought for tomorrow. What you shall eat, what you shall wear, what you will do.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
These are good questions. Our stay on earth is extremely short in comparison to eternity. So this life is a preparation for eternity, and God desires that all men will be saved and become children of God for eternity. But not all will believe the Gospel.

CS1

May 23, 2012

But still....

Why have anything?

I am sure you will get many answers and responses.

let me humbly suggest there are some ground rules before your questions can be answered.

1. do you have a Christian worldview or a secular one?

the opinion of " What is the meaning of life" comes from one of spiritual or natural.

The natural: is everything is relevant there is no meaning to life and only the strong survive. Life is what you make it and it sucks to be you if you can't do it oh well.

the preferred opinion for me is the Christian world view:

God created me in His image for HIS good Pleasure and the meaning for my Life is I was made because HE loves me and wants me to be with Him forever. I am no accident and have purpose and gifting and worth. I am unique, one of a kind,. No one has my fingerprint, my eyes, or my teeth :) God made me and called me by name. he is the meaning of life and Has revealed to me from what I call HIS word my purpose for being here today.

God is eternal there is no beginning or end with God He creates and HE made us to be with HIM forever. Only an eternal God can give Eternal life. the physical body will die yet God will raise it up as HE did Jesus. That is what Easter is about also, Jesus the resurrected.

God made the earth Good and HE made the earth for the US. it was the man and the devil who messed it up NOT GOD.

inukubo

Jun 27, 2019
We are put on this earth to be the Image of God in our own little spheres of influence. That means we are to reflect His character and point others to Him by loving, giving, serving, nurturing, and creating: Making the world around us a better place because of our presence and our relationship to Him.

Jan 21, 2021
What infinite God would bother making robots? This life is to find worthy souls for infinity.

Imagine you're God, you have infinity to do whatever. You decide you want people that can think for themselves to be in your existence (free will). The only problem is that they can't be corrupted or it screws with your system.
God is perfect order, coherence.
Sin is disorder, decoherence.
God needs us to be orderly to be entangled with him.
You need coherent waves to quantum entangle.

B

Blackpowderduelist

This life is the crucible where we are purified.