Can you think of a symbol in the Bible and list its physical and spiritual meaning?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

marrion

crossnote.Thats a good one.
I always assumed that the renting of the veil was only a symbol of an open door to Christ that was closed before but the 'tearing of the flesh' part shows us how much Jesus had to suffer to make this possible.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
THE VEIL..

And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
(Luk 23:45)

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; And having an high priest over the house of God; Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
(Heb 10:19-22)

The VEIL symbolized limited access to God's presence. Now through the death of Christ (typified by the tearing of the VEIL) we have full access by His blood into His Presence.
an added poem (bonus)

The Veiled Door

Made of flesh and blood not sticks and mortar...
Veiled in life's humility...
Fooled the wise and proud...
Beckoned the blind...
Passed by those who claimed to see...
Rejected by those who preferred mind or steeples...
Walked through by those few whose eyes had been opened...
by the open Door.

Oct 31, 2011
danschance I love your list but please elaborate more on the specific meaning of each.For example 'bread' could mean food in the physical and the word of God in the spiritual.
There is a spiritual dimension to most of God's creation. Our bodies are the temple of God. We must have both food to eat or bread, and food for our spirit also called bread. Running water is symbolic of the HS. Psalm 121 says "I will lift my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help".

That was what the rituals were about that God gave the Hebrews to perform. The food laws were symbolic of being pure as they were to eat no animal who fed on refuse. They were to put the words of the shema saying "you shall love the Lord" etc. on the doorpost of the house as a symbol of your house being a godly house, washing was symbolic of being cleansed of sin. When scripture tells us that it is not the letter of the law we are to obey, it was because some were doing these things only as rituals without the spiritual meaning.

Understanding God in the world around us and making our actions reflect God is one of the greatest joys of being a Christian.

M

marrion

Redtent,that was beautiful and very true.
one thing I was just thinking about was that the jews and Hebrews had so many laws to follow I can see how it turned into a physical repetitive ritual void of spiritual meaning.
I guess that's part of the reason Jesus came to write the laws on our minds and in our hearts

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
Joshua that's some very interesting information.
I love the story of Jacobs ladder in particular.
Did you learn these correlations in bible study or through your own personal research?
You can say it was personal study; dissecting passages. But I'd read a lot of what other believers would write about subjects, and through their many different perspectives (getting a 360 degree view), relationships would click into place. The body really does help each other grow.

It started as correlations between phrases and commands that would repeat all throughout scripture, and then grew from that into patterns that repeated, and then into images...what helped were truths like (a) "God doesn't change" and (b) Romans 1:20

20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
---

Indeed speaking of "Temple of God" @redtent...Here's another symbol.

The Throne of God (Revelation 4):
Throne Room.png
- 24 Elders surrounding...
- 7 Spirits of God (Holy Spirit) surrounding...
- The throne (on 4 beasts), on which sits the Almighty (the one who wears the crown).

The Human Chest
Human Chest.png
- 24 Ribs surrounding...
- The Lungs (which carry the breath = Pneuma = Ruach = "spirit"), surrounding...
- The Heart (4 chambers), on which are the coronary arteries (i.e. corona = "crown").

The physical & spiritual meaning is that the earthly temple is literally God's people. Each of us are literally a "living stone" that makes up the earthly temple of God.

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Last edited:
M

marrion

That's really neat Joshua.
I see that the more i know the more it seems there is to know.
The Bible is indeed a book of mysteries.
I like the fact that something we read years ago can be reread and yield more revelation and edification years later.
I also like what you say about all of us being a living stone.
Reminds me of the apostle Peter.

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
That's really neat Joshua.
I see that the more i know the more it seems there is to know.
The Bible is indeed a book of mysteries.
I like the fact that something we read years ago can be reread and yield more revelation and edification years later.
I also like what you say about all of us being a living stone.
Reminds me of the apostle Peter.
Exactly Marrion. "To those who have more will be given..." I realize every day that the well of the knowledge of God is as deep as one's willing to go. Every day I pray for more truth (spiritual food) to consume.

Proverbs 25:2
It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings (and queens).
1 Corinthians 2:10
these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.
I appreciate you starting this thread. It let's me read what others have discovered and that gives me more of what I crave.

M

marrion

Me too Joshua.
I love reading what others have discovered.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
THE VEIL..

And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
(Luk 23:45)

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; And having an high priest over the house of God; Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
(Heb 10:19-22)

The VEIL symbolized limited access to God's presence. Now through the death of Christ (typified by the tearing of the VEIL) we have full access by His blood into His Presence.

Yup........and there is one other important event the tearing of the veil symbolizes.......

The fulfillment and passing of the First Covenant, and the birth of the New Covenant..........

Oct 31, 2011
I was fascinated by the thoughts of Lauren Winner as she wrote about how everything in her life was a symbol of her love of God as an orthodox Jew, and how she missed it when she accepted Christ in her life. She was shocked when the church who baptized her told her that, through Christ, she was asked to stop all this.

Before, her home, what she ate, bathing, getting up in the morning, everything she did was given a symbolic tie to her Lord.

D

danschance

You can say it was personal study; dissecting passages. But I'd read a lot of what other believers would write about subjects, and through their many different perspectives (getting a 360 degree view), relationships would click into place. The body really does help each other grow.

It started as correlations between phrases and commands that would repeat all throughout scripture, and then grew from that into patterns that repeated, and then into images...what helped were truths like (a) "God doesn't change" and (b) Romans 1:20

---

Indeed speaking of "Temple of God" @redtent...Here's another symbol.

The Throne of God (Revelation 4):
View attachment 60453
- 24 Elders surrounding...
- 7 Spirits of God (Holy Spirit) surrounding...
- The throne (on 4 beasts), on which sits the Almighty (the one who wears the crown).

The Human Chest
View attachment 60454
- 24 Ribs surrounding...
- The Lungs (which carry the breath = Pneuma = Ruach = "spirit"), surrounding...
- The Heart (4 chambers), on which are the coronary arteries (i.e. corona = "crown").

The physical & spiritual meaning is that the earthly temple is literally God's people. Each of us are literally a "living stone" that makes up the earthly temple of God.

John 14:23
I think you missed a few things, if I may add them..

1) 2 lungs filled with air = Father, Son and Holy Spirit (breath) which act as one.
2) 12 ribs on each side = 12 tribes of Israel and 12 disciples of Christ
3) 4 Chambers of the heart = Four Gospels
4) Man takes food in by the mouth = The word (logos) is the bread of life and from the mouth we speak the gospel.
5) Feet carry the body = feet bring the good news. ( Isa. 52:7 How beautiful are the feet of those who bring Good news).
6) Hands do work = Hands that guide the plow.

Our bodies are designed to worship God.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

marrion

danschance that's some really insightful additions.
Another benefit of this thread is that it will help many of us potentially understand dreams or visions the Lord may have given us with symbols or other imagery,numbers etc that we could not understand.
Maybe something here will trigger a memory and someone will be able to make sense of past dreams/visions or signs.For example I am one who has dreams and visions all the time and many times there will be symbols,numbers,imagery etc that I cannot understand even though I know there is a meaning bhind it and God is trying to show me something or give me a message.
Im pretty sure you guys have experienced similar.
I reall want as much input as possible.
Anybody have something on colors.
Red -blood of Jesus Christ,power,authority,anointing..............
purple-royalty
white-purity,righteousness.........