Cant use my mic on CHAT!please help

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

guideme

Im using UBUNTU as my OS
and this comes out whenever i hit the mic button:

<CCBot> guideme: You did not grant permission to access your mic,
so you will not be able to speak on the mic during this chat session.

what should i do?

U

Ugly

You have to go in and give permission to the site to access your mic. I believe if you right click the mic button then hit 'settings'. There are a few options. One of them should allow you to check mark to allow CC to access your mic and cam. Check it. That should do it.

S

Siberian_Khatru

If I recall correctly, you have to opt for "I will use a webcam" before you enter. In Linux, for whatever reason, if you choose "I will not use a webcam", it denies access to the mic by default.

In Windows, you can select "I will not use a webcam" and still chat on mic; you just provide no video feed.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
If I recall correctly, you have to opt for "I will use a webcam" before you enter. In Linux, for whatever reason, if you choose "I will not use a webcam", it denies access to the mic by default.

In Windows, you can select "I will not use a webcam" and still chat on mic; you just provide no video feed.
Actually as long as you have allowed access to mic and cam in the settings your mic will work regardless of your cam. The allowing or disallowing cam usage at log in is specific to the video feed only.

S

Siberian_Khatru

Actually as long as you have allowed access to mic and cam in the settings your mic will work regardless of your cam. The allowing or disallowing cam usage at log in is specific to the video feed only.
In Windows, that's right. In Linux, it defaults to access to neither if you opt out of using a cam (or at least, that's the way it rolled with Firefox when I last used Ubuntu).

Z

Zero_Kool

1. Click i will use camera
2. When the chat system is up and running click the ok button
3. right click on the chat screen and then click on global setting
3. when firefox browser is up and your on the web site click on Website Privacy Settings panel
4. then click on christainchat.com and then click on always allow

this will allow you to use your webcam and mic, Now in ubuntu sound settings make shore your mic is on in the control setting then you'll be up and running.

U

Ugly

Or you could just follow my instructions and click the 'always allow' box, without having to go into browsers settings at all.

S

Siberian_Khatru

Or you could just follow my instructions and click the 'always allow' box, without having to go into browsers settings at all.
OR you could allow fellow users to impart their help without dashing their suggestions.

Z

Zero_Kool

Diffrent operating system needs different ways of setting your options, Windows Xp or 7 is totaly different than unix and linux operating system. some times just clicking does not work. Some times command lines are need. AKA the old DOS promp.

U

Ugly

OR you could allow fellow users to impart their help without dashing their suggestions.
Sorry. I thought giving them the easier option was the better idea. What was i thinking?

U

Ugly

Trying to make things easier for people is about my ego? That's an ignorant statement.

S

Siberian_Khatru

I think going around and around in someone else's thread is considered "ignorant" (and hijacking... and egotistical).

I sent you a PM to clear things up, Ugly.

@guideme - I hope you found some of the responses here helpful. :)

Last edited:
G

GRA

For me ( on linux ) -- the last flash version changed things up a bit...

Some of the settings can no longer be set from within the flash environment controls - they must be set from an "external", 'system settings', "plug-in"...

The 'camera and microphone access' is a single control affecting both.

And - the 'Ask me for permission' option does not work! :p Which leaves 'Allow' and 'Block' - manually set every time...

( "I guess it is not so bad? I am getting used to it..." :rolleyes: )

:)

U

Ugly

I think going around and around in someone else's thread is considered "ignorant" (and hijacking... and egotistical).

I sent you a PM to clear things up, Ugly.

@guideme - I hope you found some of the responses here helpful. :)
Well seeing as how you're doing the exact same thing then i suppose you must be ignorant and egotistical as well.

Is this really your idea of 'clearing things up'? Calling me egotistical and ignorant for behaving the same way you are? I think you have finally earned your spot on the ignore list.

S

Siberian_Khatru

Well seeing as how you're doing the exact same thing then i suppose you must be ignorant and egotistical as well.

Is this really your idea of 'clearing things up'? Calling me egotistical and ignorant for behaving the same way you are? I think you have finally earned your spot on the ignore list.
I called you no such thing in the PM, and I find it remarkably rude and tactless for you to drag this out further publicly. The ignore feature is totally your prerogative, and perhaps that's our only neutral zone (although I won't be blacklisting you).

Z

Zero_Kool

ok guys let be cival now, Think about it, it not worth the fight. And it making you all look silly and un-godly.