Catholicism vs Protestantism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Where do they differ and why?
Do both lead to salvation? Why or why not?
How should we treat each other?

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
This is going to be ugly if the RCC Muslim thread is any indication. As is the case it appears whenever this subject appears in any thread I've seen since joining.
Search results on these forums for your topic

In brief, to answer your question, we should treat each other as the Lord both traditions worship instructed and sealed as the eternal lesson for all , with his blood. LOVE!
God in the end is the judge of such things as those who live by the words of men, who translate the words of God into Denominational allegiance.

T

TheIndianGirl

Protestants and Catholics are both Christians and we should treat each other as part of the Christian family. We both believe in the basic tenants of Christianity. Catholics have some additional beliefs, in part because they accept the Apocrypha. Before discussing which books should or should not be in the Bible, let's remember that Martin Luther wanted to remove Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelations from the Bible because these books emphasized works. Yes, both lead to salvation.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
This is going to be ugly if the RCC Muslim thread is any indication. As is the case it appears whenever this subject appears in any thread I've seen since joining.
Search results on these forums for your topic

In brief, to answer your question, we should treat each other as the Lord both traditions worship instructed and sealed as the eternal lesson for all , with his blood. LOVE!
God in the end is the judge of such things as those who live by the words of men, who translate the words of God into Denominational allegiance.
In your opinion will you see any Catholics in Heaven? Mother Teresa, Saint Nicholas, Saint Patrick, Saint Valentine to name a few. I have a elderly grandmother in my small group I been teaching. She is as sweet as can be and very well versed in scripture but a practicing Catholic. She comes because her kids go to my church. She always telling me how much she loves what I taught. Should we consider folks like her as unsaved or as this verse describes

1 Corinthians 3:10-15 New International Version (NIV)
10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Will they the builder have all burnt up but yet will be saved?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Protestants and Catholics are both Christians and we should treat each other as part of the Christian family. We both believe in the basic tenants of Christianity. Catholics have some additional beliefs, in part because they accept the Apocrypha. Before discussing which books should or should not be in the Bible, let's remember that Martin Luther wanted to remove Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelations from the Bible because these books emphasized works. Yes, both lead to salvation.
For discussion purposes what are the basic tenets of Christianity we agree on?

T

TheIndianGirl

For discussion purposes what are the basic tenets of Christianity we agree on?
-belief in the Trinity
-the virgin birth
-the deity of Christ/Christ is the Messiah
-the creation and subsequent fall of humanity
-Christ’s unique atonement for our sins
-the physical resurrection of Christ
-the necessity of God’s grace for salvation (although disagreement on how grace is obtained)
-the existence of heaven and hell-the second coming of Christ
-and the verbal inspiration and infallibility of Scripture

T

TheIndianGirl

I would like to have a list of why people think Catholics are not Christians. Anyone? As a follow-up, I know there are differences, but how do these differences take away from being a Christian.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
-belief in the Trinity
-the virgin birth
-the deity of Christ/Christ is the Messiah
-the creation and subsequent fall of humanity
-Christ’s unique atonement for our sins
-the physical resurrection of Christ
-the necessity of God’s grace for salvation (although disagreement on how grace is obtained)
-the existence of heaven and hell-the second coming of Christ
-and the verbal inspiration and infallibility of Scripture
Thank you.

In your opinion.
So why in many cases there is such hostility towards one another?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Protestants take their sins to Christ to be forgiven, so do Catholics. They are the same in what is basic.

However, Catholics believe they have men who are authorized to make decisions that are only to be made by God, Protestants believe they don't have that right. It is the major difference.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Protestants take their sins to Christ to be forgiven, so do Catholics. They are the same in what is basic.

However, Catholics believe they have men who are authorized to make decisions that are only to be made by God, Protestants believe they don't have that right. It is the major difference.
So how dangerous is the major difference in your opinion?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
For the sake of debate and healthy discussion, I am asking questions absent of my personal opinion and not from a alternative motive but to bring us to the root of why we believe differently, is it so different that we should be divisive, or to share personal beliefs.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I would like to have a list of why people think Catholics are not Christians. Anyone? As a follow-up, I know there are differences, but how do these differences take away from being a Christian.
There are 1000s of pages on this topic, on this site. Shouldn't be hard to find. Because there are umpteen threads on it.

Feb 29, 2020
Party 'A' magnifies and adds to certain verses while diminishing others.
Party 'B' magnifies and adds to verses Party 'A' subtracts from while also diminishing from other verses.
And this is not just between Catholics and Protestants, it's between every self-identifying sect out there.

No.

Revelation 22:18
For I testify unto every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Jeremiah 27
[14]...hearken not unto the words of the prophets that speak unto you...for they prophesy a lie unto you. [15] For I have not sent them, says the LORD, yet they prophesy a lie in my name; that I might drive you out, and that ye might perish, ye, and the prophets that prophesy unto you.

Romans 16:17
Mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned; and avoid them.

Of course, the doctrine here is biblical doctrine, not man's doctrine.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
[QUOTE="Roughsoul1991, post: 4195600, member: 245751"] Where do they differ and why? [/quote]
The Catholic Church rejects the Five Solas of the Protestants and that sums up the difference (as noted in Theopedia):

The Five Solas are five Latin phrases (or slogans) that emerged from the Protestant Reformation intended to summarize the Reformers' basic theological principles in contrast to certain teachings of the Roman Catholic Church of the day. "Sola" is Latin meaning "alone" or "only" and the corresponding phrases are:
  • Sola Fide, by faith alone.
  • Sola Scriptura, by Scripture alone.
  • Solus Christus, through Christ alone.
  • Sola Gratia, by grace alone.
  • Soli Deo Gloria, glory to God alone.
While Catholicism leads to spiritual confusion, only God knows how many Catholics are truly saved. People can be saved in spite of their denominations.
Respect practicing Catholics and show them the love of Christ.

At the same expose the heresies of the clerical hierarchy and the institutional Church of Rome through Scripture.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
So how dangerous is the major difference in your opinion?
I think that our thoughts about other people needs to be after realizing that it is only God's place to decide about salvation. I truly love and admire my ex nun Catholic friend, and she is so knowledgeable about scripture we often visit over our bibles.

However, it is my choice not to join that church, based on their use of statues of Christ and their opinion of the power of the pope and priests.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Party 'A' magnifies and adds to certain verses while diminishing others.
Party 'B' magnifies and adds to verses Party 'A' subtracts from while also diminishing from other verses.
And this is not just between Catholics and Protestants, it's between every self-identifying sect out there.

No.

For I testify unto every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Jeremiah 27
[14]...hearken not unto the words of the prophets that speak unto you...for they prophesy a lie unto you. [15] For I have not sent them, says the LORD, yet they prophesy a lie in my name; that I might drive you out, and that ye might perish, ye, and the prophets that prophesy unto you.

Mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned; and avoid them.

Of course, the doctrine here is biblical doctrine, not man's doctrine.
Interesting.

No.

Just curious. You do know in Revelation 22:18 when it says if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, that was written before the canon. The book referenced was the scroll. Which was a common practice at that time to add that type of wording almost like a modern day copyright.

Mark who? We see diversity in all Christian denominations. Which doctrine is correct? I say mine. You say yours. The calvinist says his. The Armenian, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal, nondenominational ( usually have belief statements), etc, etc. Even if 2 read the Bible on their own without a denomination they can still find interpretation differences.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
[QUOTE="Roughsoul1991, post: 4195600, member: 245751"] Where do they differ and why?
The Catholic Church rejects the Five Solas of the Protestants and that sums up the difference (as noted in Theopedia):

The Five Solas are five Latin phrases (or slogans) that emerged from the Protestant Reformation intended to summarize the Reformers' basic theological principles in contrast to certain teachings of the Roman Catholic Church of the day. "Sola" is Latin meaning "alone" or "only" and the corresponding phrases are:
  • Sola Fide, by faith alone.
  • Sola Scriptura, by Scripture alone.
  • Solus Christus, through Christ alone.
  • Sola Gratia, by grace alone.
  • Soli Deo Gloria, glory to God alone.

While Catholicism leads to spiritual confusion, only God knows how many Catholics are truly saved. People can be saved in spite of their denominations.

Respect practicing Catholics and show them the love of Christ.

At the same expose the heresies of the clerical hierarchy and the institutional Church of Rome through Scripture.[/QUOTE]

If they reject the 5 solas then how could God only know how many Catholics are truly saved. Rejection of the 5 solas is basically leaving the only way to salvation. Yes or no?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I think that our thoughts about other people needs to be after realizing that it is only God's place to decide about salvation. I truly love and admire my ex nun Catholic friend, and she is so knowledgeable about scripture we often visit over our bibles.

However, it is my choice not to join that church, based on their use of statues of Christ and their opinion of the power of the pope and priests.
I understand but wouldn't you agree that a unbeliever Biblically cannot find salvation on his own merits? What do you preach to unbelievers about salvation? Reason I ask is in your opinion does Catholicism lead to salvation? If no then wouldn't you be afraid that your friends destination would be the same?

Many people on here says it doesn't lead to salvation.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
1. Catholic and protestan different in foundation. Protestant base oN the bible alone, catholic base oN tradition and magister for Example

The Vatican is taking a modern approach to one of its oldest traditions, by offering indulgences to Twitter followers of the Pontifex's social media account.

Aware that some Catholics may not be able afford to travel to Brazil, where World Youth Day is being held from July 23-28, and perhaps also in an effort to modernize himself, Pope Francis is making this first-time offer to the faithful who follow the events in Rio de Janeiro online.

End quote

This believe is not in the bible.

2. Do both lead to salvation?

No, only Jesus teaching lead to salvation not man teaching

3. Jesus say love your enemy. So we have to love catholic. And what is love? Love mean to tell them the truth, tell them that Mary not able to hear billions people pray to her, only God is omnipresent, not Mary or st peter, they are human

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
1. Catholic and protestan different in foundation. Protestant base oN the bible alone, catholic base oN tradition and magister for Example

The Vatican is taking a modern approach to one of its oldest traditions, by offering indulgences to Twitter followers of the Pontifex's social media account.

Aware that some Catholics may not be able afford to travel to Brazil, where World Youth Day is being held from July 23-28, and perhaps also in an effort to modernize himself, Pope Francis is making this first-time offer to the faithful who follow the events in Rio de Janeiro online.

End quote

This believe is not in the bible.

2. Do both lead to salvation?

No, only Jesus teaching lead to salvation not man teaching

3. Jesus say love your enemy. So we have to love catholic. And what is love? Love mean to tell them the truth, tell them that Mary not able to hear billions people pray to her, only God is omnipresent, not Mary or st peter, they are human
So figures like Mother Teresa, St Nicholas, St Patrick, St Valentine, etc are in Hell?