Catholicism vs Protestantism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The Mormons say the same thing about their beliefs... with the same degree of validity.

Scripture is the final authority. If Catholic teaching is not clearly consistent with Scripture, it is clearly not biblically sound.
It's not just the Catholic denomination, ALL denominations are not clearly consistent with Scripture.

However, those that proclaim and teach that Yeshua/Jesus is the ONLY Savior, Lord and King - the ONLY way to the Father, and that Yeshua/Jesus is God (the visible God of the invisible God), these denominations are best.

To each his own, God has a place for everyone in their journey. I actually do prefer the charismatic, spirit-filled, non-denominational churches - they don't have everything right, either.

No worries, Yeshua/Jesus will finish what He started in ALL of us.

Much love to all of you! :love:(y)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Context matters. In relationship to the subject as to whether my church is Protestant.
Please follow the conversation
You still are not the maintainer of the church protestant of otherwise. Context must include history and yours is not accurate. The protestant church is a fairly recent evolution of organized religion.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

L

Locoponydirtman

Even church history begins with Yeshua/Jesus Christ.
Please read the context of the conversation. What I said was relative to the subject that him and I were discussing. I'm trying not to be a difficult person, please don't press me.

Feb 29, 2020
No Catholic doctrine (properly understood) contradicts scripture (properly interpreted).
"Interpretation" is root cause of division.

Personal views of scripture are the second cause of divisions.

We must not interpret or place our views (traditional or personal) on scripture.

We must obey them.

But God be thanked, that ye...have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you (Romans 6:17).

This doctrine is in the scripture and no where else.

Don't let man come along and bewitch you with interpretations, personal views, and claiming things he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind (Colossians 2:18).

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth...? (Galatians 3:1).

Oh, one more thing:

Regarding the assertion of "properly understanding" the scriptures:

Obedience to scripture comes first. A good understanding comes second.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments (Psalm 111:10).

Without obedience you have no good understanding.

This is not a personal attack. I'm just humbly following what is written in 2 Timothy 4:2 "reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine".

L

Locoponydirtman

As certain men lead the Church to deviate from the path God raised up men of conscience who attempted to steer the church back to proper course,
Those wicked men who rose to power used their position to attempt to prevent this reformation. Those men maintained hold of their position and power and lead many people astray. While some followed these men that God raised up and returned to the truth. Other men stood on the momentum of those men that God raised up to reform his church, and pushed their own version of the truth and lead other people down that path.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
No Catholic doctrine (properly understood) contradicts scripture (properly interpreted).
Not true. The Catholic church teaches that baptism and penance and the sacraments are necessary for salvation. You will not find that in Scripture (properly understood).

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
Did he say this, do they think this ..

L

Locoponydirtman

Even church history begins with Yeshua/Jesus Christ.
Exactly. Church history begins with Jesus, all the way up to now. Following that line back, there are many branches that have split off. Some branches are still in the vine, some have fallen off and yet they still seem alive, but are indeed dead.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Did he say this, do they think this ..
That is so bad. That was back in 1922. I'm sure he knows the truth by now..... he and Yeshua/Jesus probably had a talk about that face to face. :giggle:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Exactly. Church history begins with Jesus, all the way up to now. Following that line back, there are many branches that have split off. Some branches are still in the vine, some have fallen off and yet they still seem alive, but are indeed dead.
I don't pay much attention to church history. I keep my focus on Yeshua/Jesus.

L

Locoponydirtman

I don't pay much attention to church history. I keep my focus on Yeshua/Jesus.
Church history is the story how the church got to where it's at today. Much of it because the church deviated from what Jesus told us.

T

TheIndianGirl

You say catholic agree with sola scriptura

Than where the teaching of pray to Mary come from, from what scripture
Praying to the saints is in the Apocrypha.

Mar 28, 2016
Praying to the saints is in the Apocrypha.
We are warned against necromancy in the Bible. Called patron saints by the Pope. (3500 and rising)

The word "seek" below is used in two ways The first as a abomination seeking after workers with familiar spirits. and the second use of the word seek as in seeking after the one manner of faith spoken of in Mathew 6 . as this manner . . . Our father in heaven .

And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.Isaiaha 8:19 -20

We are shown the result of all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura) as it works to make praying to saints a abomination that the word of God that worked in Josiah put way .

2 Kings 23:24 Moreover the workers with familiar spirits, and the wizards, and the images, and the idols, and all the abominations that were spied in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem, did Josiah put away, that he might perform the words of the law which were written in the book that Hilkiah the priest found in the house of the Lord.

The power of the word.