Catholicism vs Protestantism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Are You talking about Israel or Muslim?
That particular passage talks about the Athenians worshipping God in ignorance.

But it's probably easier if we think about how it relates to Israel and Jews.

The same word is used in Romans 10:3 where Paul says they were ignorant of God's righteousness.

The word for knowledge in verse 2 has the same root.
https://biblehub.com/greek/1922.htm

As an interesting aside, English and Greek are both Indo-European languages, so the words share distant roots.
The English word
Know
Is related to the Greek word
Gnosis.

The g is similar to the k, the n remains the same and the o vowel sound is there.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Amen to love them and pray for them!

The interesting thing is, I think you are wrong. And you think I am wrong.

And we both believe we are led by the holy Spirit. And you both believe it is good to tell each other that we are wrong!
:)

And of course, when the other person who is wrong believes they are led by the holy Spirit, it is very difficult for them to see that they are wrong, isn't it?

There is a very strong temptation, because it is a work of the flesh, to believe that the holy Spirit has given me the correct interpretation because I am sincere and deeply in touch with God. Since the other person believe something different, they must be less sincere and out of touch with God. This is how I know that I am more spiritual than most people here on Christian chat!
I believe I am a sinner, but I believe a person can't worship true God and reject Jesus. It doesn't mean I am Holy. But that is my belief

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
That particular passage talks about the Athenians worshipping God in ignorance.

But it's probably easier if we think about how it relates to Israel and Jews.

The same word is used in Romans 10:3 where Paul says they were ignorant of God's righteousness.

The word for knowledge in verse 2 has the same root.
https://biblehub.com/greek/1922.htm

As an interesting aside, English and Greek are both Indo-European languages, so the words share distant roots.
The English word
Know
Is related to the Greek word
Gnosis.

The g is similar to the k, the n remains the same and the o vowel sound is there.
I believe Jews knows Old Testament, they know about messiah to come on prophesy, athenians don't have Torah

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
I believe I am a sinner, but I believe a person can't worship true God and reject Jesus. It doesn't mean I am Holy. But that is my belief
I understand what you're saying, and I was thinking of any kind of disagreement in general among Christians.

Two people meet here on Christian chat and they disagree on something. We assumed the holy Spirit would tell everyone the same thing.
So if someone disagrees with us, and we believe that we are in touch with God, then there was a strong temptation for the flesh to decide that the other person my simply not be very close to God.
Then we can feel Superior.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
I believe Jews knows Old Testament, they know about messiah to come on prophesy, athenians don't have Torah
Yes, Jews know about the Messiah from the old testament. But a partial hardening of their heart has occurred, it sounds to me like this was something God did.

Romans 11: 25 For I don't desire you to be ignorant, brothers, of this mystery, so that you won't be wise in your own conceits, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

May 2, 2020
Redding
@Humbleservant777

Hi Humbleservant! You may be interested in commenting on the discussion Jackson and I are having about what Christians where to do in the middle ages, when Bibles were super expensive.

Here's the latest post
Hey Dan_473,

I tried looking for the thread you mentioned but I'm not sure where it is. Anyway you could link it or send me a PM with the info?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I see. And regarding the translators of this version, as you read it, do the translators think Paul is referring to the true God or a false god?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+10&version=NIRV
2I can tell you for certain that they really want to serve God. But how they are trying to do it is not based on knowledge

Not base on knowledge

If I am a cave man I may think tractor as a car.

Don't know who is true god may think lucifer as a God, or eagle as a god etc

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
The people that could read Latin were already at work in monasteries making copies of the Bible in Latin, as I understand it.
And there are some version, pray and chose what ever you believe Holy Spirit lead you

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Yes, Jews know about the Messiah from the old testament. But a partial hardening of their heart has occurred, it sounds to me like this was something God did.

Romans 11: 25 For I don't desire you to be ignorant, brothers, of this mystery, so that you won't be wise in your own conceits, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
Than nothing we can do

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I understand what you're saying, and I was thinking of any kind of disagreement in general among Christians.

Two people meet here on Christian chat and they disagree on something. We assumed the holy Spirit would tell everyone the same thing.
So if someone disagrees with us, and we believe that we are in touch with God, then there was a strong temptation for the flesh to decide that the other person my simply not be very close to God.
Then we can feel Superior.
I am not feel superior, but I believe every Christian must know basic faith doctrine
These are what I believe basic Christian doctrine

Jesus is God
Jesus die for us
Salvation by faith

Other than those, I don't believe they are christian

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Hey Dan_473,

I tried looking for the thread you mentioned but I'm not sure where it is. Anyway you could link it or send me a PM with the info?
Hi! Great to hear from you!
Actually, the link is right there in the post you responded to.
See where it quotes me as saying "Great! I was thinking..."? Just click on the blue "Dan_473 said:" right above that.

It's actually the same thread that you are reading at this instant! Jackson I are talking about a variety of issues related to protestantism and Catholicism. Please feel free to jump in on any aspect!

But here's a fresh link to that post you asked about:
https://christianchat.com/threads/catholicism-vs-protestantism.190982/post-4244643

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
2I can tell you for certain that they really want to serve God. But how they are trying to do it is not based on knowledge

Not base on knowledge

If I am a cave man I may think tractor as a car.

Don't know who is true god may think lucifer as a God, or eagle as a god etc
Thanks for your answer.
Now, what I'm asking is as you read that version, what is your perception of what the translator thought? Does the translator think that the Jews really want to serve the true God?
Or does the translator think that they really want to serve a false god?

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
And there are some version, pray and chose what ever you believe Holy Spirit lead you
The common people back then couldn't read Latin. I don't think there were other versions, there may have been some inaccurate copies in ancient Greek.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Than nothing we can do
I believe you had asked me what
Worshipping God in ignorance
Meant.

I think it would look one way for a greek person in Athens, another way for a Jewish person, etc.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
I am not feel superior, but I believe every Christian must know basic faith doctrine
These are what I believe basic Christian doctrine

Jesus is God
Jesus die for us
Salvation by faith

Other than those, I don't believe they are christian
That's cool!

Myself, I like to use a biblical formulation:
I want to remind you of the good news I preached to you. You received it and have put your faith in it. 2 Because you believed the good news, you are saved. But you must hold firmly to the message I preached to you. If you don’t, you have believed it for nothing.
3 What I received I passed on to you. And it is the most important of all. Here is what it is. Christ died for our sins, just as Scripture said he would. 4 He was buried. He was raised from the dead on the third day, just as Scripture said he would be. 5 He appeared to Peter. Then he appeared to the 12 apostles. 6 After that, he appeared to more than 500 brothers and sisters at the same time. Most of them are still living. But some have died. 7 He appeared to James. Then he appeared to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, he also appeared to me.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+15&version=NIRV

Of course, Catholics believe all those things!