Catholicism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 3, 2016
I will defend my brothers in the Lord till the Lord takes me home.
If you are following catholik teachings instead of God's Word... you're going to be shocked when you find out where "home" is!

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I'm going to take the time to explain really well what I think because I see too much animosity toward Catholics.
I've heard them called pagans and a cult. If every denomination we don't agree with is a cult, then there are many cults around.
Once again, your error is not discerning between a denomination and a false teaching. Also, it is not animosity, for I pray for them that every day that God would allow them to hear His call to come out of that idolatrous institution. As Paul said, " if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!"

So, are the practices of the RCC what Jesus and His word teach?
I would say yes. Everything they practice is biblically based except for two doctrine that I neither understand or agree with.
Based on the above, I would say that you need to study the word of God, because what the RCC is teaching is in now way in line with scripture. Take the teaching of Purgatory for example. Their claim is that all saved Catholics must still go into Purgatory to be refined in fire for the sins that were not absolved during their life. Yet, the word of God says that "whoever has the Son has life, but whoever does not have the Son does not have life." Scripture also states that the believer has been reconciled to God and has been credited with righteousness. Yet Roman Catholicism teaches an imaginary place of refinement by fire for the Catholic. It is the shed of Christ that cleanses the one who believes in Him, not fire. Fire is a punishment, not a refiner for sin. And speaking of punishment, God's wrath, Jesus already took the punishment that we deserve upon himself.

You think that praying to Mary and her as being a co-savior and a co-mediator is according to God's word. Scripture states that there in one mediator between God and man, Christ Jesus.

One is the Immaculate Conception. I know why they believe this. Jesus had to be born without sin. We are all born with sin. So how to fix the problem? Mary had to be born without sin.
First of all, Mary referred to Jesus as "her Lord." In addition, after Mary had given birth, she was required to go to the temple and provide two turtle doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and one for a sin offering so that atone could be made for her (see Lev.12:6-8). That Mary was in need of atonement would demonstrate that she was under sin just like everyone else who comes into this world. Regarding this scripture says:

"There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” - Rom.3:10-12

Jesus is the only one who appeared in the flesh and committed no sin and kept the law perfectly. Everyone else who comes into the world, including Mary, is guilty of sin.

Also, in order for Mary to be without sin, then her parents would have had to have been without sin, as well as their parents and so on and on.

This brings us to the perpetual virginity of Mary. She had to be pure in every way and so she could not have any other children even though scripture clearly says that Joseph knew her not till after Jesus was born.
All you are doing is proving my point with every issue bring up! I'll use your own word that you included above and which is also the same word used in the scripture, which is the word "Until," which means "up to that time." The meaning is that Joseph did not know Mary sexually "Until" after she had give birth to her first born, which means that after that happened then Joseph did not know his wife. And scripture is also clear in that Mary and Joseph had other children.

"Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?"

Regardless of the bogus apologetic that claims that the scripture above is referring to his cousins, that is a false. Below is another example:

"Then after three years, I (Paul) went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord’s brother."

In the scripture above, there is a distinction made between the apostles, James being one of them and also the Lord's biological brother.

Confession. Read John 20:22-23 and tell me if you had NO teaching from a Church, what would you understand this to mean? It sounds like we ARE supposed to confess to someone with authority. The priest does not forgive sin, he just proclaims to the person that they are forgiven.
Regarding John 20:22-23, Jesus also said the following:

"For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." - Matt.6:14-15

Scripture states that believers are to confess our sins to each other, so they everyone will be comforted knowing that they are not the only one wrestling with sin. By knowing that everyone else is experiencing the same sin issues, everyone is lifted up knowing that they are no alone in this. All of sinned and fall short.

As believers, Jesus tells us to go to our rooms, shut the door and pray to our heavenly Father, not to another sinful man. Again, there is only one mediator, Christ Jesus, not two or three. According to the RCC, the Catholic must confess their sins to a priest, which goes through Mary and then through Jesus and then to the Father. Scripture states the believer is to pray directly to God the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Did you ever study the Early Church Fathers? It's a really good historic study to show what the early theologians thought. I'd say we should listen to what they had to say. They were the closest to the Apostles. Ignatius of Antioch was a student of John the Apostle. Who knows more ? Them or the theologians who changed Christianity so much in the last 200 years or so. (not speaking of the reformation).
Those people were not apostles. And even during the time of the apostles God's word was being distorted. I will stick with what scripture says because everything that I need to know is contained in there and that without Ingatius, Iraneous or any of the others mentioned.

Oh. And they pray FOR dead people (and some pray TO them) because of the books of Macabees which Luther removed from the bible because they did not suit him. They were Always accepted by the Jews too in the O.T. So that is also based on the bible.
The word of God is clear in that, once a person dies their record is sealed. If you had read and understood the event of the rich man and Lazarus, you would know that there is no second chance or no returning after death to warn anyone about that place of punishment. Sheol/Hades is filling up every day 24/7 with those who have rejected Christ, as well as those who have believed in false teachings instead of believing in the word of God.

For those who are suffering in Hades in torment in flame, who in their right mind would not immediately accept the offer of salvation? I guarantee you, Hades would be empty immediately! The offer salvation is only during this life. After that the persons record is sealed. If they left this life without Jesus, then they have no blood covering their sins and they will be held accountable for every idle word they ever spoke at the great white throne judgment.

Not everyone is coming out of the Church. Some are returning to it. Know why? All this arguing between us becomes tiring after a while.
What we who study the word of God are doing, is what scripture says that we ought to do and that to contend for the truth which is being distorted and diluted on every Biblical topic.

"Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. "

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves."

My advise to you is to get grounded in the word of God, so that you can recognize the lies from the truth. We ought to pray for those who have been deceived by the beliefs and practices of Roman Catholicism that God would open their eyes and give them strength to come out of her. For if they continue in her idolatrous practices, they too will be condemned with her.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2016
Once again, your error is not discerning between a denomination and a false teaching. Also, it is not animosity, for I pray for them that every day that God would allow them to hear His call to come out of that idolatrous institution. As Paul said, " if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!"

Based on the above, I would say that you need to study the word of God, because what the RCC is teaching is in now way in line with scripture. Take the teaching of Purgatory for example. Their claim is that all saved Catholics must still go into Purgatory to be refined in fire for the sins that were not absolved during their life. Yet, the word of God says that "whoever has the Son has life, but whoever does not have the Son does not have life." Scripture also states that the believer has been reconciled to God and has been credited with righteousness. Yet Roman Catholicism teaches an imaginary place of refinement by fire for the Catholic. It is the shed of Christ that cleanses the one who believes in Him, not fire. Fire is a punishment, not a refiner for sin. And speaking of punishment, God's wrath, Jesus already took the punishment that we deserve upon himself.

You think that praying to Mary and her as being a co-savior and a co-mediator is according to God's word. Scripture states that there in one mediator between God and man, Christ Jesus.

First of all, Mary referred to Jesus as "her Lord." In addition, after Mary had given birth, she was required to go to the temple and provide two turtle doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and one for a sin offering so that atone could be made for her (see Lev.12:6-8). That Mary was in need of atonement would demonstrate that she was under sin just like everyone else who comes into this world. Regarding this scripture says:

"There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” - Rom.3:10-12

Jesus is the only one who appeared in the flesh and committed no sin and kept the law perfectly. Everyone else who comes into the world, including Mary, is guilty of sin.

Also, in order for Mary to be without sin, then her parents would have had to have been without sin, as well as their parents and so on and on.

All you are doing is proving my point with every issue bring up! I'll use your own word that you included above and which is also the same word used in the scripture, which is the word "Until," which means "up to that time." The meaning is that Joseph did not know Mary sexually "Until" after she had give birth to her first born, which means that after that happened then Joseph did not know his wife. And scripture is also clear in that Mary and Joseph had other children.

"Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?"

Regardless of the bogus apologetic that claims that the scripture above is referring to his cousins, that is a false. Below is another example:

"Then after three years, I (Paul) went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord’s brother."

In the scripture above, there is a distinction made between the apostles, James being one of them and also the Lord's biological brother.

Regarding John 20:22-23, Jesus also said the following:

"For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." - Matt.6:14-15

Scripture states that believers are to confess our sins to each other, so they everyone will be comforted knowing that they are not the only one wrestling with sin. By knowing that everyone else is experiencing the same sin issues, everyone is lifted up knowing that they are no alone in this. All of sinned and fall short.

As believers, Jesus tells us to go to our rooms, shut the door and pray to our heavenly Father, not to another sinful man. Again, there is only one mediator, Christ Jesus, not two or three. According to the RCC, the Catholic must confess their sins to a priest, which goes through Mary and then through Jesus and then to the Father. Scripture states the believer is to pray directly to God the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Those people were not apostles. And even during the time of the apostles God's word was being distorted. I will stick with what scripture says because everything that I need to know is contained in there and that without Ingatius, Iraneous or any of the others mentioned.

The word of God is clear in that, once a person dies their record is sealed. If you had read and understood the event of the rich man and Lazarus, you would know that there is no second chance or no returning after death to warn anyone about that place of punishment. Sheol/Hades is filling up every day 24/7 with those who have rejected Christ, as well as those who have believed in false teachings instead of believing in the word of God.

For those who are suffering in Hades in torment in flame, who in their right mind would not immediately accept the offer of salvation? I guarantee you, Hades would be empty immediately! The offer salvation is only during this life. After that the persons record is sealed. If they left this life without Jesus, then they have no blood covering their sins and they will be held accountable for every idle word they ever spoke at the great white throne judgment.

What we who study the word of God are doing, is what scripture says that we ought to do and that to contend for the truth which is being distorted and diluted on every Biblical topic.

"Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. "

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves."

My advise to you is to get grounded in the word of God, so that you can recognize the lies from the truth. We ought to pray for those who have been deceived by the beliefs and practices of Roman Catholicism that God would open their eyes and give them strength to come out of her. For if they continue in her idolatrous practices, they too will be condemned with her.
OK A. I'll try really hard to get grounded in the word.

In the meantime, try to remember that the bible was put together by the Catholic Church and I trust all those old dumb guys a Whole lot more than I trust Calvin or anyone else that came after him with heretical teachings.

Good evening.

Aug 16, 2016
OK A. I'll try really hard to get grounded in the word. In the meantime, try to remember that the bible was put together by the Catholic Church and I trust all those old dumb guys a Whole lot more than I trust Calvin or anyone else that came after him with heretical teachings. Good evening.
You say the catholic church put the bible together yet they believe in false doctrines like purgatory.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

In the meantime, try to remember that the bible was put together by the Catholic Church and I trust all those old dumb guys a Whole lot more than I trust Calvin or anyone else that came after him with heretical teachings.

Good evening.
I truly hope that you will get grounded, because we cannot compromise with God's word. And Satan and the powers of darkness are inundating the world with what is "almost right."

I'm sorry, but I would also have to disagree with your claim that the Bible was put together by the Catholic church. Have you ever heard of the Codex Sinaiticus? In any case, they don't even follow what is written in their version.

Codex Sinaiticus is one of the most important books in the world. Handwritten well over 1600 years ago, the manuscript contains the Christian Bible in Greek, including the oldest complete copy of the New Testament. Its heavily corrected text is of outstanding importance for the history of the Bible and the manuscript – the oldest substantial book to survive Antiquity – is of supreme importance for the history of the book.

Dec 3, 2016
You say the catholic church put the bible together yet they believe in false doctrines like purgatory.
They don't even know where they bible is... much less what's in it.

Most catholiks believe whatever the cat up front behind the podium tells them to believe... lots of protestants are doing the same.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
The bible was put together by the catholic church?!! WOW.. I thought that GOD put the bible together. ;) Seeing as how it IS the inspired Word of God and all...

Good evening.

Apr 30, 2016
They DID put the bible together. Was there a protestant Church in the 300's?
They also kept a lot of heresy out of the Church.
Did you know that many were preaching that Jesus was just a man?
Did you know that many were preaching against the Trinity?
Did you know that many were preaching gnosticism?

We have much to thank the Catholic Church for. It went a bit off during the middle ages, but what Church hasn't made msitakes?

Protestants used to burn witches at the stake.
Protestants hate Catholics who are their brothers in the Lord. (the saved ones).
I've never heard the Catholic Church teach their congregation to dislike protestants, in fact this pope is trying really hard to make peace with the Protestant Church.

What I feel here is hatred.
I don't feel the Holy Spirit.

Some here are not acting as Jesus would want them to.
We believe we have the Holy Spirit, but it's not up to us to say if we do or not,
it's up to OTHERS, those we come in contact with to determine if we are of God. Our good behavior makes God proud of us.
Our bad behavior makes Him sad because our light does not shine for the world to see.

You could disagree with doctrine Prynce, but you shouldn't hate anyone because you don't agree with them.
They even have a reason for purgatory. Mathew 18:30 1 Corinthians 3:12-15

They're not stupid. They have excellent theologians. You want to read a book that'll bless you?
Read The Father Who Keeps His Promises by Scott Hahn. It'll speak to the Covenants too in a beautiful way.

Don't shut out anything that could help you, unless it really IS heretical.
I dislike the WOF movement. Do I hate it? No. They think they're doing the right thing.
Ditto for every Church.

Apr 30, 2016
The bible was put together by the catholic church?!! WOW.. I thought that GOD put the bible together. ;) Seeing as how it IS the inspired Word of God and all...
Blue,
Go watch your soap operas.

You know NOTHING about Christianity.

Do you think God came down out of the sky and personally wrote the bible?

I mean, really. Sometimes you should think about what you say before you say it.

And go pick on somebody else, you won't get anywhere with me. I've dealt with worse than you and you won't come out ahead.

Dec 3, 2016
I thought that GOD put the bible together
You know how it is... the cathloholics believe they are the "true" church... so of course they are going to make this claim.

But, they certainly don't go by the Bible...

Apr 30, 2016
I truly hope that you will get grounded, because we cannot compromise with God's word. And Satan and the powers of darkness are inundating the world with what is "almost right."

I'm sorry, but I would also have to disagree with your claim that the Bible was put together by the Catholic church. Have you ever heard of the Codex Sinaiticus? In any case, they don't even follow what is written in their version.

Codex Sinaiticus is one of the most important books in the world. Handwritten well over 1600 years ago, the manuscript contains the Christian Bible in Greek, including the oldest complete copy of the New Testament. Its heavily corrected text is of outstanding importance for the history of the Bible and the manuscript – the oldest substantial book to survive Antiquity – is of supreme importance for the history of the book.
WHO WROTE IT????

Was it some Protestant person?

Apr 30, 2016

And dare I say A,
That maybe YOU should get grounded and get that chip off your shoulder.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
And dare I say A,
That maybe YOU should get grounded and get that chip off your shoulder.
I have no chip on my shoulder, but am confident in what I have studied for so many years. I'm not going to pretend that I don't know the word of God. You should understand this, Roman Catholicism is the woman who rides the beast of Rev.17 & 18. She is that prostitute, that idolatrous city that sits on seven hills. And when that antichrist comes, the pope of that time and his institution, the RCC, will regain the power that she once had and more. Everyone will be required to come under the authority of the pope and to belong to the RCC. He will play the part of the false prophet and will begin to perform those miracles, signs and wonders and that for the purpose of deception. As in times past, the pope and the RCC, will be responsible for the shed blood of the saints.

As for me, I will not compromise, but will continue to contend for the truth of God's word.

Apr 30, 2016
I have no chip on my shoulder, but am confident in what I have studied for so many years. I'm not going to pretend that I don't know the word of God. You should understand this, Roman Catholicism is the woman who rides the beast of Rev.17 & 18. She is that prostitute, that idolatrous city that sits on seven hills. And when that antichrist comes, the pope of that time and his institution, the RCC, will regain the power that she once had and more. Everyone will be required to come under the authority of the pope and to belong to the RCC. He will play the part of the false prophet and will begin to perform those miracles, signs and wonders and that for the purpose of deception. As in times past, the pope and the RCC, will be responsible for the shed blood of the saints.

As for me, I will not compromise, but will continue to contend for the truth of God's word.
That's a good idea.

And keep studying Revelation. Sounds like it's your favorite book.
And BTW, I DO believe the end and the anti-Christ might just be coming out of Mecca, not Rome. In fact, I'm pretty sure.
Check it out.

Apr 30, 2016

Coming under the authority of the Pope!!!

I'm sorry. I'm still laughing.
I happen to live in Italy.
I truly doubt the Pope will be having anything to do with anything of anywhere.

Dec 3, 2016
WHO WROTE IT????
Jesus Christ... the Word of God.... is personally responsible for the content of the Bible.

He told each writer what to write and the the Lord decided... in spite of man, not because of man... which books are part of God's Word and other books were to not be included.

Jesus is the One who started the reformation to get people to go by His Word rather than the catholik religion which had departed from truth.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Soap operas are stupid. Besides, I don't even have tv.. God inspired the bible to be written. That is a FACT. And it's stupid to say "do you think He came down and wrote it". Of course He didn't. :rolleyes: He inspired MEN to write it for Him.

I'm not picking on you at all. I think it's YOU who knows NOTHING about Christianity. I believe every word God says. By your own admission, you do not.

I'm not trying to come out ahead. And you sound prideful for saying so. For someone who claims to know the bible very well, you sure don't act like it. Especially when you post verses that PROVE a point that you don't believe in.. LOL..

Blue,
Go watch your soap operas.

You know NOTHING about Christianity.

Do you think God came down out of the sky and personally wrote the bible?

I mean, really. Sometimes you should think about what you say before you say it.

And go pick on somebody else, you won't get anywhere with me. I've dealt with worse than you and you won't come out ahead.

Aug 16, 2016
They DID put the bible together. Was there a protestant Church in the 300's? They also kept a lot of heresy out of the Church. Did you know that many were preaching that Jesus was just a man? Did you know that many were preaching against the Trinity? Did you know that many were preaching gnosticism? We have much to thank the Catholic Church for. It went a bit off during the middle ages, but what Church hasn't made msitakes? Protestants used to burn witches at the stake. Protestants hate Catholics who are their brothers in the Lord. (the saved ones). I've never heard the Catholic Church teach their congregation to dislike protestants, in fact this pope is trying really hard to make peace with the Protestant Church. What I feel here is hatred. I don't feel the Holy Spirit. Some here are not acting as Jesus would want them to. We believe we have the Holy Spirit, but it's not up to us to say if we do or not, it's up to OTHERS, those we come in contact with to determine if we are of God. Our good behavior makes God proud of us. Our bad behavior makes Him sad because our light does not shine for the world to see. You could disagree with doctrine Prynce, but you shouldn't hate anyone because you don't agree with them. They even have a reason for purgatory. Mathew 18:30 1 Corinthians 3:12-15 They're not stupid. They have excellent theologians. You want to read a book that'll bless you? Read The Father Who Keeps His Promises by Scott Hahn. It'll speak to the Covenants too in a beautiful way. Don't shut out anything that could help you, unless it really IS heretical. I dislike the WOF movement. Do I hate it? No. They think they're doing the right thing. Ditto for every Church.
I have already stated previously i love catholics and desire for them to turn away from their false doctrines / practices. Why do you accuse others of hatred when that's not even the case. I personally rather read direct scripture than books telling me how to think. I hope catholics do the same.

Apr 30, 2016
Jesus Christ... the Word of God.... is personally responsible for the content of the Bible.

He told each writer what to write and the the Lord decided... in spite of man, not because of man... which books are part of God's Word and other books were to not be included.

Jesus is the One who started the reformation to get people to go by His Word rather than the catholik religion which had departed from truth.
Have you read Numbers and Deuteronomy?
Do you think God wrote those books with His own hands?
Do you think He's personally responsible for everything written there?

Apr 30, 2016
I have already stated previously i love catholics and desire for them to turn away from their false doctrines / practices. Why do you accuse others of hatred when that's not even the case. I personally rather read direct scripture than books telling me how to think. I hope catholics do the same.
Prynce,

If you just read the bible, how would you know anything about the Trinity?
How would you know anything about Justification and Sanctification?
How would you know why marriage is sacred?

You SHOULD read other books.
That's what theologians do. That's why they know so much.
Try it. Really. Start with that book I told about. I did NOT tell you to stop reading the bible.

I don't believe I accussed YOU of hating catholics, I was referring to Others here.
If that's how it came across, I apologize.