Cessation of Gifts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2021
and let's not forget the context of 1 Corinthians 13 that begins with first 3 verses, since it's scripture only!

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

1 Corinthians 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
AMEN - Love is the Greatest - For God so Loved the world that He gave us His Son

Do you love the Promise of the Father which we have heard from His Son? or have they ceased???

To boast of God's Goodness, ie Praising Him, is a good thing - to boast against it is not good and it is not love.

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
Just to Clarify = the first saint, on this thread, to bring forth the affirmation of the Gifts, for Today, by Scripture was Lucy in Post #50

My Opening was intended for all to seek, on their own, the Truth from Scripture.

Since the evidence has been brought forth i confirm the Scriptural Evidence in 1 Corinthians chapter 13

KEY verse: "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

Also the second part of the CHALLENGE is still Open and has not been successfully revealed from Scripture:

The other Witness to the Gifts of the Holy Spirit for His Bride until He Comes
Not to derail this thread, 'cause this definitely deserves it's own, but can you prove from scripture that the church is the Bride of Christ?

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
The idea that the gifts of the Holy Spirit ceased at the end of the "apostolic" times is just complete LIE!

The Scriptures and Church history prove the exact opposite!

I did a blog on this subject, you can find it Here, Here and Here

And just a word of warning to the "cessationists" who say that the gifts of tongues (and other manifestations of the Spirit) are demonic; the Lord Jesus told the scribes who came down from Jerusalem who were saying that the miracles He did by the power of the Holy Spirit were really being done by Satanic power, that they were guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and of eternal sin! Mark 3v28-30.

The Christians who ascribe the signs, wonders and miracles of the Holy Spirit (i.e, the gifts of the Spirit, 1Cor 12v7-11) to Satan, go FAR down the road of committing blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, make NO mistake about it!
And that is what makes this subject, more than others, so dangerous.

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
That's what we are talking about. Furthermore, pagans are also know to speak glossolalia while communicating with spirits.

The Bible does not speak about glossolalia. Just glossa, glossais, and dialektos, In modern parlance "languages" or "dialects". And why wouldn't God allow scientific analysis of anything? After all He is the one who created the laws of science. If some native speaker of English started speaking Farsi* supernaturally, that would be subject to linguistic analysis. But even those who practice tongues go through language schools in order to speak foreign languages.

*For those not aware Farsi is the language of Persia (Iran).
What you are proposing is akin to the time Jesus couldn't perform healings because He couldn't prove He was in-network ;)

Aug 2, 2021
Not to derail this thread, 'cause this definitely deserves it's own, but can you prove from scripture that the church is the Bride of Christ?
easy as Heaven made Apple Pie -

I have called upon You, for You will hear me, O God;
Incline Your ear to me, and hear my speech.
Show Your marvelous lovingkindness by Your right hand,
O You who save those who trust in You
From those who rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of Your eye;

For the Lord’s portion is His people;
Jacob is the place of His inheritance.
“He found him in a desert land
And in the wasteland, a howling wilderness;
He encircled him, He instructed him,
He kept him as the apple of His eye.

Not on this thread - will start another one and let you know - thank you

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What you are proposing is akin to the time Jesus couldn't perform healings because He couldn't prove He was in-network ;)
Nonsense. There is absolutely no comparison. Millions of Christians do not speak in tongues. Are you equating them to the enemies of Christ?

Aug 2, 2021
That is NOT a commendation but a rebuke! Hence Paul would rather speak 5 words of prophecy than 10,000 words in tongues. What a contrast!
lol - keep reading Brother - God has given to those who He loves Gifts -
and one of them is a Special Love Language which is between Christ and His Bride.

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God.
Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Nonsense. There is absolutely no comparison. Millions of Christians do not speak in tongues. Are you equating them to the enemies of Christ?
this is ridiculous. to suggest one is the enemy because they do not speak tongues I did not see anyone say that or guest that.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
That is NOT a commendation but a rebuke! Hence Paul would rather speak 5 words of prophecy than 10,000 words in tongues. What a contrast!
1. Corinthians. 14-13
Therefore he who speaks in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret
verse 19.
In church I would rather speak 5 words with my mind ....

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Knowledge of the unity of the faith in Ephesians... the completed Word of God is this thing.

It is also a 'measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ'

That allows someone to be a perfect, complete (mature) person, of full age in the faith.
where are these good folks to be found? it is the Word of God which urges us to speak in tongues and earnestly seek the higher gifts especially that we may prophesy.

There is something mean about pooh poohing somebody when they bring you a gift, that Somebody is God.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
This is to address two Posts SomeDisciple #85 and Nehimiah6 #99 -
I don't think you really addressed my post, or at least the points in my post. All you really did was... exactly what I said people do. Extrapolate a doctrine out of narrative example. "it happened this way; therefore, it always happens this way" is not particularly revelatory. You could cook up all sorts of crazy doctrine by doing that.

CS1

May 23, 2012
1. Corinthians. 14-13
Therefore he who speaks in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret
verse 19.
In church I would rather speak 5 words with my mind ....
sound like a rebuke to me... not. LOL

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Agreed. But that is not how the OP is presented. Here's the opening paragraph:

"Preacher John McArthur, Baptists, Dispensation and others had declared that the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, most especially speaking in Tongues, had CEASED with the departure of the Apostles."

There are about twenty spiritual gifts recorded in Scripture, but it seems tongues and healings get all the attention. Why? Does the flesh delight in a "show" of spirituality?
because healing and tongues are demonstrable ... can you speak a foreign language if you haven't learned it? surely you will speak gibberish. Many do speak gibberish thinking it is tongues but that only serves to make the true gift more remarkable.

Try now to speak a language you haven't learned, see if you can.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Agreed. But that is not how the OP is presented. Here's the opening paragraph:

"Preacher John McArthur, Baptists, Dispensation and others had declared that the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, most especially speaking in Tongues, had CEASED with the departure of the Apostles."

There are about twenty spiritual gifts recorded in Scripture, but it seems tongues and healings get all the attention. Why? Does the flesh delight in a "show" of spirituality?
Well your flesh doesn't does it. Mebbe you love the Holy Spirit just so long as He keeps Himself quiet and behaves Himself.

Jul 23, 2018
That is the most twisted deal i ever heard of since getting saved in 1977

Aug 2, 2021
I don't think you really addressed my post, or at least the points in my post. All you really did was... exactly what I said people do. Extrapolate a doctrine out of narrative example. "it happened this way; therefore, it always happens this way" is not particularly revelatory. You could cook up all sorts of crazy doctrine by doing that.
You gave the narrative - other Members and myself gave the Scripture(s)

What you are attempting to do is argue with Scripture and with the Saints who hold to the word of God.

Example: You said: "I don't think those instances of it occurring are sufficient to make it into doctrine that it will always happen that way. It's putting God in a box that he did not put himself into."

Nobody on this thread said that "it has to happen a certain way"

If you do not want to believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit as our Lord made clear in Scripture - that is your choice

PEACE