Cessationism and Continuationism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
This is just a short 8 minute video clip of John MacArthur explaining why he believes(As I do) that certain gifts of the Spirit ceased with Apostles.

I know this is a touchy subject and I do expect some disagreement, but I am interested in what other Christians thoughts on the matter are.

Isaskar

Nov 13, 2021
I see Jesus has not returned yet, gifts are still operational.

Furthermore, knowledge has not ceased, if anything it has increased.

R

RichMan

Just checkout one of the other 47 threads on this subject.
You should also get ready for a ton of opposition to your position.

S

SophieT

well MacArthur also believes all those who speak in tongues do so through the power of demonic spirits

do you believe that also Aerials?

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Just checkout one of the other 47 threads on this subject.
You should also get ready for a ton of opposition to your position.
I was aware of it. Still, I do believe it’s something we can discuss without any hostility.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
well MacArthur also believes all those who speak in tongues do so through the power of demonic spirits

do you believe that also Aerials?
Can you give an instance when he said that? I have heard him refer to Churches like Bethel which I also find to be not of the Spirit.

O

Oblio

Attributing something the Holy Spirit does to demons is not something that the Holy Spirit would be behind.
MacArthur...Copeland...I wouldn't want to know any of these guys!
I trust in the Lord...period!

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Attributing something the Holy Spirit does to demons is not something that the Holy Spirit would be behind.
MacArthur...Copeland...I wouldn't want to know any of these guys!
I trust in the Lord...period!
I wouldn’t compare MacArthur to Copeland. Vast difference in theology between the two. So what preacher/teacher do you prefer?

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
This is just a short 8 minute video clip of John MacArthur explaining why he believes(As I do) that certain gifts of the Spirit ceased with Apostles.

I know this is a touchy subject and I do expect some disagreement, but I am interested in what other Christians thoughts on the matter are.
This is a debate in which you cannot be proven wrong.

For those who believe they have ceased, they have indeed ceased.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019

Sure you can prove it. Look at Paula White and confirm that she is really speaking in tongues, Kenneth Copeland speaking things into existence. Anyone with even a hint of discernment would see they fabricate almost everything.

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
Sure you can prove it. Look at Paula White and confirm that she is really speaking in tongues, Kenneth Copeland speaking things into existence. Anyone with even a hint of discernment would see they fabricate almost everything.

For those who believe they are all faked, they are all indeed faked. And ceased.

Anyone with a hint of discernment would understand the ramifications of their beliefs.

O

Oblio

I wouldn’t compare MacArthur to Copeland. Vast difference in theology between the two. So what preacher/teacher do you prefer?
None, really. The Lord has used someone now and then. For the past few years, He's been teaching me about what I've recently learned, I think, is called two-house theology.
Due to my health, I've basically been a shut-in for many years. He teaches me stuff online.
I hope some day to belong to something like a house fellowship.
I'm impressed with the Lord.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I see Jesus has not returned yet, gifts are still operational.

Furthermore, knowledge has not ceased, if anything it has increased.
Remember 1 Corinthians 13 is referring to the GIFT of knowlege.. not general knowledge. The gift was supernatural, exceptional and carried by the apostles.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand

But their is an objective truth that is about something ceasing or not.. whether or not we believe.

Like someone being healed in the New Testament regardless of their level of faith.

But I get that people have a point of view and most are not going to be dissuaded from it.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019

For those who believe they are all faked, they are all indeed faked. And ceased.

Anyone with a hint of discernment would understand the ramifications of their beliefs.
So I’m assuming you follow the word of faith doctrine then?

CS1

May 23, 2012
So I’m assuming you follow the word of faith doctrine then?
Faith is necessary in the word of God. Faith is essential. Without faith it is impossible to please God those who come to God MUST Believe that HE is, and a rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM. Faith is a doctrine known as Belief.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
None, really. The Lord has used someone now and then. For the past few years, He's been teaching me about what I've recently learned, I think, is called two-house theology.
Due to my health, I've basically been a shut-in for many years. He teaches me stuff online.
I hope some day to belong to something like a house fellowship.
I'm impressed with the Lord.
Mos
Faith is necessary in the word of God. Faith is essential. Without faith it is impossible to please God those who come to God MUST Believe that HE is, and a rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM. Faith is a doctrine known as Belief.
That’s not the kind of faith I am referring to.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
That’s not the faith I was referring to.