Cessationism vs. continuationism...does it make any difference?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 17, 2021
1 Chronicles 16:30 Tremble before him, all the earth! The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved.

Nothing even hinting at the earth being flat there.

Same with Psalm 96:10 Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns." The world is
firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity."

Likewise Psalm 93:1 The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in
majesty and armed with strength; indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.

Nor does Isaiah 45:18 imply, infer, or hint at a flat earth. “For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.”
He missed out the one where it says that the Lord hangs the earth on nothing, and the other one that talks about the circle of the earth.

the guy just wants to argue and have two horse races where he says and he says and he says and so on ad nauseum.

Mar 17, 2021
Thank you for your reply.

Nothing in your reply addressed the question, could you please address the question?

It is rather rude of you to call me "condescending", it is not warrented. Also starting off a reply by laughing is not a mature way to present a response. If you have no response, just don't reply, maybe someone else can.

If you prefer, I will rewrite the question. Just let me know what part of the question is "condescending" to you.

I look forward to your reply.
Give it up. We won't play your game.

CS1

May 23, 2012
He asked the question to trap you. He's not interested in wanting to know more about the gifts of the Spirit. He just wants to have a two-horse race with you about things that are pointless to the discussion.
hmm, not my first rodeo, and it's ok he did not trap me, he just exposed himself :)

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Nice try. Everyone still makes mistakes and sins - saved or not.
Sure were are justified, but all that are saved are being sanctified. Therefore in this life each of us still remains flawed and continues to commit sins and errors.

The imperfect witness of today is not to be put on equal footing to the witness of God's scriptures. My point is valid.
The point is, if we dwell on sin, we are more proned to sin. If we dwell on the righteousness of Christ that is OURS, we are better off.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
When I was a mature student, I got down to my last $100 and so I prayed that I have never asked for money before, but I think I need to now. The very next day I got a phone call from a local postmaster (I used to work for the Post Office) offering me a part time job. That gave me enough funds to get through the rest of the year, until I gained a typing teachers diploma to get me into a part time job teaching typing, until I graduated and got back out into the full time workforce.
Philippians 4:19
English Standard Version
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Last night I watched a Youtube video about a academic who went to Israel to prove that the resurrection never took place. He found so much evidence supporting it, that he became a committed believer in Christ.
So what I am hearing is that the academic didn't need to eye witness or experience first hand miracles to find faith in Christ. This is a perfect post for this thread!!

Lookupnotback

Sep 26, 2020
I thought Paul wrote, "and such were some of you" or something close.

I disagree with you. Anyone born again is "the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus" so NO LONGER "a sinner." Let's see ourselves as GOD sees us.
We are all sinners, the old nature still resides with the new in a regenerated person, born again, 2nd birth? And our sin and which one we coddle? And how much we do and don’t seek forgiveness for the battle going on within us? We neuter the Holy Spirit’s ability to work through us/in us or shine through us/in us, but we all sin and fall short of the glory of God.

Lookupnotback

Sep 26, 2020
And we have another one, they come and they go. Wonder how long this one will stay. Wish the church of the self righteous would stop sending them our way. I'm personally getting tired of them, real tired. smh
Hahaha, and so humble is the panda, or is that a rat? Opossum?

Lookupnotback

Sep 26, 2020
Again, the difference is my posts are based on scripture and facts (e.g. what you actually said.) You imagine things about people and accuse them of them. You also take scripture out of context.

I could use 'Thou shalt not commit adultery" and pretend I know that you committed adultery, and post accusations like that toward you if I chose to act like you do.
...well, if you want to go there? It is a thing that starts in the heart through the eyes long before any clothing hits the floor aaaaand sooooo........your not one too?-)

Lookupnotback

Sep 26, 2020
If all else fails, kick the other players instead of the ball.
Kick the other guy? Do you realize that always happens from the charismatic’s side 1st, in having a 2 tier christianity of those who have not and those who have the 2nd blessing? Ease up there partner and start by cleaning up your household you protecting 1st!-)

presidente

May 29, 2013
You believe that the supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit are still going on today just as they did during the 1st Century?
I believe they are given 'as the Spirit wills' just like they were in the Bible. As for whether the frequency is the same, that is up to God.

You believe this because of your understanding of the Bible?
Yes.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I have heard people talk about how they pray to St. Anthony to find something that is lost and that it works all the time. In fact they boast in a similar way to how you boast.

So how do you know that it wasn't Satan who provided the $400?
The Bible says, "My God shall supply all your needs...."

Mar 17, 2021
Philippians 4:19
English Standard Version
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
He showed me that He doesn't always have to give me a hand-out when I need money. If I have skills and am available to get a job and work for my living, He will provide one.

Of course, now that I am retired and live on superannuation, I guess I get a hand-out from the Government every fortnight! :)

presidente

May 29, 2013
When I was a mature student, I got down to my last $100 and so I prayed that I have never asked for money before, but I think I need to now. The very next day I got a phone call from a local postmaster (I used to work for the Post Office) offering me a part time job. That gave me enough funds to get through the rest of the year, until I gained a typing teachers diploma to get me into a part time job teaching typing, until I graduated and got back out into the full time workforce.
My situation was similar. I'd just finished my formal education. I had a wife and children. We'd asked for a lease renewal but our landlord had let us go onto a month to month. Then they were going to sell the unit mid-semester. We needed money to get off the island we lived on. I did not have a job yet, and our little business made a little money every once in a while. So we definitely had a need.

I asked for a specific amount of money, and an hour or so later, someone gave me that same amount.

Mar 17, 2021
So what I am hearing is that the academic didn't need to eye witness or experience first hand miracles to find faith in Christ. This is a perfect post for this thread!!
The Holy Spirit uses all sorts of ways to bring a person to faith in Christ. I didn't need to see any miracles to make me believe the Gospel. I just knew that I needed to get right with God and when I was shown the Gospel Scriptures I believed them and received Christ as my Saviour.

People in western countries have been corrupted by Plato and Aristotle, who believed that something is real only if I can be empirically proved by science. Therefore, something that cannot be proved by science is not real. So if someone says that they have been healed as the result of a miracle, people steeped in Aristotle philosophy would say it is fake, not real, and didn't really happen.

But people in third world countries in Asia and Africa have no problem with the supernatural, because they see it often in their pagan temples. The supernatural is real to them because they are not corrupted by Aristotle philosophy. Therefore when the Holy Spirit miraculously heals someone, they know that the power of God is greater than the power of their pagan idols, and this causes them to receive Christ.

Mar 17, 2021
I thought Paul wrote, "and such were some of you" or something close.

I disagree with you. Anyone born again is "the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus" so NO LONGER "a sinner." Let's see ourselves as GOD sees us.
Here is the full context of the phrase you quoted:
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,[c] 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
What this means in that when someone is washed and sanctified, they no longer do the things on the list. If they continued doing those things, it would show that their conversion to Christ is not real.

Mar 17, 2021
Kick the other guy? Do you realize that always happens from the charismatic’s side 1st, in having a 2 tier christianity of those who have not and those who have the 2nd blessing? Ease up there partner and start by cleaning up your household you protecting 1st!-)
My "household" if you want to call it is a small church with six elderly ladies and one gentleman. It it not Charismatic, and I would guess that the ladies wouldn't know what the word actually means!

So who says that the baptism with the Spirit is a 2nd blessing? Not the Bible unless you can show me the reference to it. The Bible tells me that it is true conversion to Christ and the evidence is a total transformation of heart and spirit.

K

kaylagrl

Hahaha, and so humble is the panda, or is that a rat? Opossum?
Whatever Grizzly Adams, you won't be here long. Not gonna waste more breath. We've seen your kind come and go.

Mar 17, 2021
My situation was similar. I'd just finished my formal education. I had a wife and children. We'd asked for a lease renewal but our landlord had let us go onto a month to month. Then they were going to sell the unit mid-semester. We needed money to get off the island we lived on. I did not have a job yet, and our little business made a little money every once in a while. So we definitely had a need.

I asked for a specific amount of money, and an hour or so later, someone gave me that same amount.
An amazing testimony. He is not limited in how He provides for our needs. When I finished university and teachers college I had no savings, so I never had any hope of owning my own home or having a reliable motor vehicle when I started my teaching career. Then I met the person who has been my wife of 30 years. She had her own home and money in the bank left to her by her previous husband who died of cancer three years before. The upshot is that ever since we have owned our own home, mortgage free for the last 10 years, and money in the bank for emergencies. I give the glory to God in the way He provided for me. He also provided for her by giving her a new lease of life with a husband and child.