Christian counseling?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
God has given me a heart of love for them also. When I tell them this, they are often shocked and dumbfounded. They are accustomed to having doors slammed in their faces.
I usually wondered what Hare Krishna's were stoned on, big stupid grins with shaved heads.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Hey, I am in the process of applying for my internship to become a LCSW. Just want to field a question: do you think counseling would help or are you totally against it? I want honest opinions. (Not trying to get any kind of endorsement at all!!).
i'm not 'against it' at all -- i think it's good that Christians should have a presence in the field.
but i personally probably never would go without being forced into it.

possibly that means i really should lol -- i imagine if i did i would be psychologically analyzing the counselor the whole time, and arguing with them in my head all the way home :LOL:

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
i'm not 'against it' at all -- i think it's good that Christians should have a presence in the field.

possibly that means i really should lol -- i imagine if i did i would be psychologically analyzing the counselor the whole time, and arguing with them in my head all the way home :LOL:
Not all counselors are psychologists, I wasn't. Not all marriage counselors are married. So it's like, "d,o as I, say not, as I did or didn't."

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Not all counselors are psychologists, I wasn't. Not all marriage counselors are married. So it's like, "d,o as I, say not, as I did or didn't."
Alcoholics Anonymous wouldn't work if it wasn't ran by alcoholics, that learned a better way.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014

I went to a therapist once on recommendation of my best friend to "try it out" (I was under a lot of stress at the time). So she took me to her and after a few minutes and was like, I think this won't work out, I'd like to leave. I've never seen a person more cold and seemingly void of any feelings or empathy. I remember having legs and arms crossed in defense, it was a very unpleasant atmosphere. Maybe I'm wrong for speaking based on one therapist, but I believe they all have to switch their feelings off so they wouldn't get attached to patients' problems. So they're basically rendered useless in helping people who don't trust or open up easily.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I went to a therapist once on recommendation of my best friend to "try it out" (I was under a lot of stress at the time). So she took me to her and after a few minutes and was like, I think this won't work out, I'd like to leave. I've never seen a person more cold and seemingly void of any feelings or empathy. I remember having legs and arms crossed in defense, it was a very unpleasant atmosphere. Maybe I'm wrong for speaking based on one therapist, but I believe they all have to switch their feelings off so they wouldn't get attached to patients' problems. So they're basically rendered useless in helping people who don't trust or open up easily.
More than likely, it is they who need to be counseled by us. It is we who have the Great Answer dwelling within us. Most of them are headed for the big empty at the end of their highways.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
More than likely, it is they who need to be counseled by us. It is we who have the Great Answer dwelling within us. Most of them are headed for the big empty at the end of their highways.
We don't know who is headed where and actually are forbidden from claiming it in Romans 10. Sorry bro I can't "heart" this one.

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
Hey, I am in the process of applying for my internship to become a LCSW. Just want to field a question: do you think counseling would help or are you totally against it? I want honest opinions. (Not trying to get any kind of endorsement at all!!).
I am an advocate for counseling, with the caveat that while having someone to confide in can be so therapeutic to sooo many people, it is equally if not more important to ensure the right type of counseling is aligned for the appropriate needs of each individual person and/or couple...

Unfortunately, while so many people are in need of individual counseling too often too many people are in need of individual and marital counseling at the same time... The greatest concern is that Professional Therapists acknowledge that their profession is significantly lacking in their ability to meet the the Professional demands for Marital Counseling...

Bottom-line, Professional Therapists have acknowledged that too often unqualified individual counseling can inadvertently and too often enable to and contribute to the detriment of the Marriage...

YES - Christian Counseling can be helpful for individuals - early and often... Similarly, Professional Marriage counseling and advise should be sought and given by those who are qualified to give such counsel for the benefit of the Christian Marriage...

oyster67

May 24, 2014
We don't know who is headed where and actually are forbidden from claiming it in Romans 10. Sorry bro I can't "heart" this one.
I see this as a reason to talk more, not less. Oyster :love:s this message:giggle:.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
John 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and [then] cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
YES - Christian Counseling can be helpful for individuals - early and often... Similarly, Professional Marriage counseling and advise should be sought and given by those who are qualified to give such counsel for the benefit of the Christian Marriage...
Has anyone actually done a study to confirm that any kind of counseling was actually beneficial, and led to a resolution of any issue? Ideally -- at least for Christians -- it is the elders within their churches who are supposed to be the shepherds taking care of their sheep. And that is where Christian counseling rightly belongs (whether for marriage or any other issue). But it is not in vogue because churches have generally departed from the New Testament pattern.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I wholeheartedly believe in professional counseling, and the use of medications where needed.

From one who has been married to the same woman for sixty years, the best counseling advice that I can give you is to learn to listen to your spouse. Remember, you are one in Christ.

May 25, 2015
I actually think counseling is wonderful. I have been using a counselor for the past two years and it has been life CHANGING.

I think that is a great field to get into and it speaks levels of what kind of a person that you are that you are interested in going into that field <3

Mar 25, 2020
If you're in a lot of trouble and pain which most people experience in some part of their lives and if you don't have immediate people to help you, then you must look for professional help. I want to tell you straight that not all professional help is the same. You have to choose the right person to help you.

I was lucky enough to have known not one but many people who have helped me over the years to become who I am now. And if not for those people in my life, I really would not know if I would be the person I am today. Yes, we all need people to confide in and seek counsel. Professional counseling is a very good choice.

And I never really looked for it, but by God's grace, I found a Christian counselor who brought back my faith in Jesus which I had completely lost. I'm forever thankful to that person. If not for that person, I would be an atheist today given my troubled childhood and upbringing even though I grew up in a Christian home.

And since then, I've been holding on to my God till today. I will continue to hold on to Jesus till the end. So, yes, if you think you need someone to help work things out, you need someone. And if that person has faith in God and is the right kind of person, he or she would be able to bring about the changes you seek in your life. None of us have to go about life alone.

Just make sure, that the person is a professional life coach or someone you can trust your life with. It has to be positive and feel positive. If it isn't, don't hesitate to abort the process and try someone new. The person working with you should bring positive results in your life which makes you feel good about yourself and those around you, whoever they are. God bless and Good luck.

A word of advice: Try mind body healing arts like Yoga or Tai Chi. You can find a good Christian yoga or tai chi practitioner. It could be pricey, but the health benefits involved are worth it. You can thank me later for it :)

DesertWanderer

Nov 17, 2019
New Mexico, USA
If you're in a lot of trouble and pain which most people experience in some part of their lives and if you don't have immediate people to help you, then you must look for professional help
Please don't take this personally, but I am really bugged by this statement. I have to make two assumptions here:

1. The person you are responding to is a born-again believer
2. They are active in a church, or maybe they were at some point in the past

With those two assumptions in place, I would also assume that, since we are disciples of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ, we would be able to seek help within the institutional church, without paying $135/hour for it. Unfortunately, you and I can no longer do that, since the church hierarchy is no longer accessible to the peasants. That's unfortunate since even despotic rulers during the dark ages made time for their subjects.

Again, I am not calling you out, personally. After all, you are just an eloquent messenger of the harsh spiritual realities of our end times.

and if you don't have immediate people to help you,
Yes, there are some of us who struggle through life completely alone, for one reason or another. When my mother died, and my father was left alone with four children, he turned to alcohol and gambling since his church had completely abandoned him ( I understand now what he went through, since I also have been abandoned by mine). He died without reconciling to the Father in heaven. Was he saved? I'm not sure.

But what I do know is that church pastors and elders look down on the congregants as time vampires, ready to suck the life out of their very existence. This is why they are quick to relegate their responsibility for spiritual development to "Christian counselors." They're just another gatekeeper to ensure that the flock is kept at bay, similar to the office secretary, locked pastor's office, and that dreaded contact form you see on the church website.

There is a solution. But my diatribe needs to end now. Maybe another time. :)

Mar 25, 2020
Please don't take this personally, but I am really bugged by this statement. I have to make two assumptions here:

With those two assumptions in place, I would also assume that, since we are disciples of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ, we would be able to seek help within the institutional church, without paying $135/hour for it. Unfortunately, you and I can no longer do that, since the church hierarchy is no longer accessible to the peasants. That's unfortunate since even despotic rulers during the dark ages made time for their subjects.

Again, I am not calling you out, personally. After all, you are just an eloquent messenger of the harsh spiritual realities of our end times.

Yes, there are some of us who struggle through life completely alone, for one reason or another. When my mother died, and my father was left alone with four children, he turned to alcohol and gambling since his church had completely abandoned him ( I understand now what he went through, since I also have been abandoned by mine). He died without reconciling to the Father in heaven. Was he saved? I'm not sure.

But what I do know is that church pastors and elders look down on the congregants as time vampires, ready to suck the life out of their very existence. This is why they are quick to relegate their responsibility for spiritual development to "Christian counselors." They're just another gatekeeper to ensure that the flock is kept at bay, similar to the office secretary, locked pastor's office, and that dreaded contact form you see on the church website.

There is a solution. But my diatribe needs to end now. Maybe another time. :)
I wasn't referring to the person's denomination. In fact, I don't know what denomination the person who started the thread is. I understand where you're coming from I think. People should be able to get help within their church. Or, since we all believe in Jesus and He is who we look up to for salvation, I'd say we have every right as Christians to get help from our Church and as believers from each other. We as believers form the Church.

I'll tell you how I look at it. I have had good people talk to me and pray for me and give me counsel within the Church. And I know that is rare, but it's happened for me. There is some truth in what you've shared and I agree. I was just making my best effort to help the lady who started this thread in whatever way I thought I could because I feel that we may not always get what we're looking for from one source. And as a person who has stepped into and stepped out of so many churches on a regular basis but not finding myself at home in most of the churches, I know that alternate sources of help do work and they do help when you look at what they can offer you. Not saying that one shouldn't expect those things from within the church. It would be great if that happened.

May 25, 2015

I'm a born-again believer.
I am active in a church.

And I go get professional help.

Sometimes, people aren't equipped to deal with what is going on inside of me. This is a topic in the Christian community, where it is quite controversial. But, this is where I stand: If I need help, and after I have tried reaching out to people in the church and the church can only do so much, and feeling led by God to get more professional help, I'm gonna go get professional help.

Mental illness is a tough illness to help, and sometimes, God uses those professionals to help.

And it's okay to get that help. I know I'm much better off NOW than I was the past 6 years.

This is also JUST my opinion because I have lived through this exact issue.

Nov 17, 2019
New Mexico, USA
If I need help, and after I have tried reaching out to people in the church and the church can only do so much, and feeling led by God to get more professional help, I'm gonna go get professional help.
Good point. However, I still stand by my statement that Christian counseling is being used by the upper echelon of church leadership as a crutch; an abdication of the role they should play in individual discipleship.

May 25, 2015
Good point. However, I still stand by my statement that Christian counseling is being used by the upper echelon of church leadership as a crutch; an abdication of the role they should play in individual discipleship.
And that's fine. I wasn't sharing to change your opinion. I just have a different experience, that's all :)

We can agree to disagree! :D