Christian Festivals

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I always thought the first day of the week - deemed the Lord's Day, was Sunday Funday. Christians would have parties at church. Nobody did any work. '

I was often asked on this day 'how's work?' and I would shrug my shoulder and say 'I don't know, I'm not working today!'
I would also thank God when it was Friday.

I used to work on Saturdays, and Sundays. But after I became a Christian, I got to have those days off, or at least, Sunday. Even if I worked on Sunday, I wasn't really working very hard, and still got paid. But it meant I couldn't party other Christians.
 
Every day ought to be like Christmas, some believe it's not really possible, however, I'm sure some of us could make it happen and live like it does.

Like snow in Summer?
 
My favorite verses about holidays is from Colossians 2. It describes how holy days are shadows of the real thing, whilst the reality is Christ. So, we shouldn't judge or force anyone into thinking that observing them makes them Christian, whilst those who do not observe them are not Christian. We read:

"And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."

Feasts mentioned in the Bible are pictures of the reality of Christ and so, like all scripture, help us to understand the reality - but in and of themselves are shadows. For example, the passover mentions applying the blood of a perfect lamb to the lintels and side posts of Israelites' houses whilst those who do not apply the blood of a perfect lamb are killed by the angle of death. This is a picture of how the blood of Christ saves all in Christ from death.

Similarly, the Festival of Booths talks about the number seven, which emphasizes how God does all the work of saving his own by his work on the cross. We remember that God caused his own to dwell in booths (tablernacles) when they came out of Egypt. So, it is a picture of how we live in his Word, once we are saved, because the Word became flesh and tabernacled among us.
Lots of symbolic meaning in all the feasts.
I think they eventually became a bit of a burden for the Jews, like how commercialised the holidays have become for us (Christmas and Easter, am looking at you) and God was a bit fed up with them too, because they weren't really celebrating Him anymore.
It was just tradition, and people didn't really know WHY they were celebrating them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Seeker47
We don’t really have any so called “ Christian festivals.” We only celebrate His birth, death, burial, and resurrection every first day of the week.
 
Festivals when you feel festive and you have a feast. All you can eat!
All other days you fast, pray and go hungry lol
 
Best of all, thanking God the Father through Jesus for all that we have!