Christian Metal

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ChrisTillinen

Sep 16, 2022
As I'm from Finland, I suppose I'm almost obliged to post something from HB here. Symphonic metal is almost the only type of metal that I would enjoy listening to more than occasionally. Sadly, the few Christian bands that exist within that genre aren't quite up to par with their best secular counterparts (but I guess that's the case in many other genres too).

I suppose HB is still musically pretty decent at its best. Their lyrics aren't bad either, although stylistically not exactly my cup of tea. If you've never heard of them but like symphonic metal, they're worth checking out.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Becoming the archetype is pretty good if you like death metal like vocals. Screams and growls

ChrisTillinen

Sep 16, 2022
Becoming the archetype is pretty good if you like death metal like vocals. Screams and growls
I don't really like death metal type vocals, except perhaps in very small doses. But thanks for the recommendation. Perhaps I'll still check them out. I suspect I've heard something from them only once or twice.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I don't really like death metal type vocals, except perhaps in very small doses. But thanks for the recommendation. Perhaps I'll still check them out. I suspect I've heard something from them only once or twice.
Terminate damnation is their best album in my opinion
Physics of fire is a pretty good album too

true_believer

Sep 24, 2020
As I'm from Finland, I suppose I'm almost obliged to post something from HB here. Symphonic metal is almost the only type of metal that I would enjoy listening to more than occasionally. Sadly, the few Christian bands that exist within that genre aren't quite up to par with their best secular counterparts (but I guess that's the case in many other genres too).

I suppose HB is still musically pretty decent at its best. Their lyrics aren't bad either, although stylistically not exactly my cup of tea. If you've never heard of them but like symphonic metal, they're worth checking out.

Finland has some awesome bands and artists that should have more notoriety in North America.

Mar 5, 2018
I have always been a Stryper fan, and I really like their newer music, too. Their brand-new album is excellent. Michael Sweet’s voice is incredible.

ChrisTillinen

Sep 16, 2022
Perhaps this counts as Christian metal. In Finland there is this concept "Raskasta Joulua" (Heavy Christmas) where Finnish (and some international) metal vocalists tour the country performing Christmas music, usually in "metallized" versions of the original songs. Some of them are just "Christmasy" with perhaps small touches of specifically Christian meaning of Christmas, but many others are very solidly Christian in their lyrics. As for the musicians themselves, I'm aware of only one of the regulars having been vocal about his Christian faith. I'd assume that many of the others may be agnostic with perhaps some appreciation for cultural Christianity. Anyway, I'll link versions that have English translations of the lyrics. Even though the translations are a bit amateurish, you should get the gist of their meaning.

Let's start with two songs that are probably not well known outside of Finland (though perhaps they should be).

By contrast to these two, this one is widely known internationally (in its more traditional version, not the metal one)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hard rock, certainly, but I wouldn't call them very heavy metal.

For some reason the vocals remind me of japanese lyrics from the opening theme of an anime show.

What would make it traditional heavy metal? Probably a different drum rhythm. The current ones are much more hard rock than heavy metal.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Mind you, I don't mean that as any disparagement. Interesting to listen to, and thanks for posting them.

ChrisTillinen

Sep 16, 2022
The thought of classifying them as "hard rock" instead may have occurred to me at some point. I guess it's just the fact that most of the people performing here are known from bands that are typically classified as "metal".

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The thought of classifying them as "hard rock" instead may have occurred to me at some point. I guess it's just
the fact that most of the people performing here are known from bands that are typically classified as "metal".
They sound metal enough to me :unsure::giggle: Curious about what defines them as being distinctly different,
I looked it up:
what separates metal from rock in music? The answers were kind of all over the place :LOL:

Ozzy Osbourne is often called the godfather of heavy metal.