Where did you get your information because every time I do any research on it it never says anything like that1:42 " . . . early church fathers and later Christian thinkers like Augustine of Hippo and Origen influenced Christian mystical thought. They drew from Greek philosophy, particularly Neoplatonism, to explain Christian ideas in a more mystical context."
I think this pretty much says it all. They weren't trying to understand God's word to us, but were interpreting their own ideas through the lens of Greek philosophy.
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:8
Where did you get your information because every time I do any research on it it never says anything like that
Oh I see I will have to rewatch it I must have missed thatFrom your own video dude, at 1:42.
Yeah it says that but how does that mean they weren't trying to understand God's word? in fact it seems they were trying to view it from a more intimate view even meditating on his word.From your own video dude, at 1:42.
Yeah it says that but how does that mean they weren't trying to understand God's word? in fact it seems they were trying to view it from a more intimate view even meditating on his word.
Tell me how, how is what they are saying is what you say it is. I am just asking for an explanation because it seems to me you are saying this but how can you back it up? like what in particular makes them not wanting to understand God's word?Believe what you want, which I'm sure you will anyway. To me it's not even debatable.
So I came across this term recently and I have never heard of it before so I did a google search on it and it says this
It involves practices and theological understandings aimed at preparing the individual for, and facilitating, an intimate encounter with the divine. This encounter is often described as a union with God, characterized by divine love and presence, but within the framework of maintaining a distinction between the Creator and the created.
Further explanations say.....
Core Concepts:
Practices:
- Direct Experience of God:
.Opens in new tab
Christian mysticism emphasizes the possibility of experiencing God's presence directly, rather than relying solely on intellectual understanding or ritualistic practices.
- Union with God:
.Opens in new tab
While maintaining a distinction between God and the individual, mystics seek a profound union with God, characterized by love, intimacy, and a sense of oneness.- Spiritual Transformation:
.Opens in new tab
Mysticism involves a process of spiritual growth and transformation, often described as stages (purgative, illuminative, and unitive).- Love as the Driving Force:
.Opens in new tab
Love is central to the mystical experience, with God's love being the ultimate focus and the source of transformation.
- Prayer and Meditation:
.Opens in new tab
Christian mystics engage in various forms of prayer and meditation, including contemplative prayer, lectio divina, and practices that aim to quiet the mind and open to God's presence.- Fasting and Asceticism:
.Opens in new tab
Some mystics practice fasting and other forms of self-discipline to detach from worldly desires and focus on God.- Contemplation:
.Opens in new tab
Mystics engage in contemplation, which involves focusing the mind on God and allowing God to reveal Himself.- So unless I am mistaken it seems to be a more personal and interactive form of Christianity
- which to me is what it should be in general anyways a intimate personal and interactive relationship but maybe I am not understanding it does anyone have any insight on this?
Tell me how, how is what they are saying is what you say it is. I am just asking for an explanation because it seems to me you are saying this but how can you back it up? like what in particular makes them not wanting to understand God's word?
Yes they were viewing it from a different perspective but even so they were trying to understand it as far as I can tell. It doesn't matter what I believe I want to get a firm grasp and understanding of this subject so if they were not trying to understand his word I need to know how
As far as I can tell they are just trying to view it from a different perspective, but we can agree to disagree. either way I know that you are against it and I won't try to change your mind about but I would encourage you to do some research on it at least to try to understand it.What part of "They drew from Greek philosophy, particularly Neoplatonism, to explain Christian ideas in a more mystical context" don't you get? (See above, post #82) Just think about that. If you still don't get it, I doubt I could explain it to your satisfaction.
As far as I can tell they are just trying to view it from a different perspective, but we can agree to disagree. either way I know that you are against it and I won't try to change your mind about but I would encourage you to do some research on it at least to try to understand it.
In one way, your contentment is admirable, but your complacency is just sad. There is much more to eternal life than you know, and even care to know.
You're slightly correct.
Any way, he could not tolerate the use of "apostle" for anyone beyond the twelve and Paul. He said it didn't exist. I even suggested we stick to a text-only-approach to support our points. So, I showed him examples from the scripture (several places). I believe he was embarrassed and offended so he blocked me. Of course, out of the gate he wondered if I was really saved because I wasn't Baptist so... he was fully entrenched in his traditions. Poor kid.
1:42 " . . . early church fathers and later Christian thinkers like Augustine of Hippo and Origen influenced Christian mystical thought. They drew from Greek philosophy, particularly Neoplatonism, to explain Christian ideas in a more mystical context."
That is contentment with circumstances, not in one's relationship to God. See Philippians 3:13-14Cam, I regarding contentment I just remembered another Scripture I should have cited about Paul's contentment,
which also was not complacency: Phil. 4:11-12.
That is contentment with circumstances, not in one's relationship to God. See Philippians 3:13-14
One is contentment with the circumstances of life. The other is an active pursuit of God. I didn't distinguish the two; God did.It is contentment despite adverse circumstances because of his relationship with God!
Why would you divorce them?