Christian Rock and Metal

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

I don't know how meaningful this is to anyone who doesn't understand Finnish (so roughly 100% of you, I guess). But this is a regular Finnish hymn that one might sing in church, only it's arranged in metal/hard rock style. I'll post a quick translation (basically tidied-up autotranslate) below.

I am a shattered jar of clay
Piece by piece, broken away
I just wondered and cried
Would not have wanted to break
You, Lord, crushed me
But you saved all the pieces
So much you loved me
You wanted something completely new
Give the clay a new shape
Make me a new jar
Thereby showing your love
Again using what was broken
I want to tell the broken ones
No shards are thrown away
Even cheap clay is precious
In the hands of the Master (2x)
Interesting. Thanks for the reference.

I don't understand a word of it but I listened to the whole track anyway to hear what they did with the music (I'd call it hair metal, but the same genre sounds different in different countries so I'm not gonna argue the label.) I also wanted to hear the phrasing the lead singer chose... hmm, how to put this... the emotion he used in his voice.

Short summary: If I could understand that language, that whole album would be in my music collection tomorrow.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Christian rock: yes, if it doesn't have to rough of a rock connotation & certainly no metal content. Christian metal: no way. the music may contain a Godly message but the music itself speaks in a different language.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Christian rock: yes, if it doesn't have to rough of a rock connotation & certainly no metal content. Christian metal: no way. the music may contain a Godly message but the music itself speaks in a different language.
Hmm...

Possibility 1: You need to hear more Christian metal. Your sample pool might be biased or narrow.

Possibility 2: When you say "metal" you might be thinking about something different than what I think about when I say "metal."

All I know for sure is, there's a lot of good Christian metal out there. And some real junk too. Just like every other music style.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Hmm...

Possibility 1: You need to hear more Christian metal. Your sample pool might be biased or narrow.

Possibility 2: When you say "metal" you might be thinking about something different than what I think about when I say "metal."

All I know for sure is, there's a lot of good Christian metal out there. And some real junk too. Just like every other music style.
i listened to plenty of C. metal in the past plus 1 of the above. don't like it all.

Sep 28, 2023
the music itself speaks in a different language
ALL styles of music... has been and is being used by satan for evil purposes.

Sounds like you should quit listening to music altogether!

don't like it all.
That's your personal preference... thanks for sharing

This in no way proves that metal music itself is evil no more than easy listening or R&B, or whatever

NilsForChrist

Jan 31, 2023
Hm, yeah, you got a point. An exception would be the neoclassical genre.

Sep 28, 2023
An exception would be the neoclassical genre
This and all other styles of music have been and still are being used by satan for evil.
So, sounds like some folks should quit listening to music altogether! coffee_cup_guy.gif

ChrisTillinen

Sep 16, 2022
Here's a Finnish Christmas song that starts as relatively mellow but morphs into something like metal or hard rock at around 2 minutes (this is part of an event that presents Christmas songs in "heavier" style after all). I'll add my own translation of the lyrics below.

Night falls on the Christmas eve
Veil of darkness covers a cold land
A lonely figure makes his way
In the frost with a candle in hand
Just a small boy, face lacking in joy
Through darkness with no life in sight
Coldness' bite he will brave, and his mother's grave
He now mournfully blesses with light

A flame so softly shimmering
Lightens the grave of his mother dearest
His waitful eyes fill with longing
For the birth of new hope and calm rest