Christians response to gay marriage?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012

The meme asks a qestion; here are some responses:

"If you don’t attend, you should question calling yourself “Christian” - it seems pretty hypocritical. If we wish to be loved unconditionally - we must also love unconditionally. I cannot imagine abandoning my daughter on her wedding day."

"I’m being IN the wedding "

"We are called to “love” as Christians, we’re not called reject others. "

"I’ll be walking her down the aisle!!!!"

"I wish this wasn’t even a debate. Not only would I attend I would help her plan and support them both!"

"Yes, I will. Just because we don't Sin the same, it makes neither of us better or worse than the next person. "

Many of these comments are said by those who profess to be Christians. Is it true, and is it biblical? Are these responses in line with what God said?

I would like to know what would be your biblical response to this meme. Please support your answer with scripture. Not opinions.

Thank you

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
Well, all that I have to say is that I have four sisters, and all of them are divorced and "remarried".

I did not attend any of their second "weddings" because, according to my understanding of God's word, none of their divorces had Biblical cause, and therefore all of their second "marriages" constitute adultery in God's sight.

I didn't tell any of them off in some sort of "holier-than-thou" attitude, but they're all well aware of why I didn't attend their "weddings".

As Christians, I don't believe that we should condone or put our stamps of approval on things that are detestable in God's eyes.

The same principle would apply to a "gay marriage".

Ephesians chapter 5

[8] For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
[9] (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth)
[10] Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
[11] And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Well, all that I have to say is that I have four sisters, and all of them are divorced and "remarried".

I did not attend any of their second "weddings" because, according to my understanding of God's word, none of their divorces had Biblical cause, and therefore all of their second "marriages" constitute adultery in God's sight.

I didn't tell any of them off in some sort of "holier-than-thou" attitude, but they're all well aware of why I didn't attend their "weddings".

As Christians, I don't believe that we should condone or put our stamps of approval on things that are detestable in God's eyes.

The same principle would apply to a "gay marriage".

Ephesians chapter 5

[8] For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
[9] (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth)
[10] Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
[11] And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
interesting perspective

thank you for your input.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
I would not raise my children to be "gay".
That's not given as an option in the meme, but mine is one option and the right option according to God's Word.
So, how about people who raise their children knowing God's word but their child decides to live a homosexual lifestyle?

I'm fairly certain most people (Christian or not) don't raise their "children to be gay".

CS1

May 23, 2012
So, how about people who raise their children knowing God's word but their child decides to live a homosexual lifestyle?

I'm fairly certain most people (Christian or not) don't raise their "children to be gay".
good question.
The same as my son, who was not raised to be a drug addict but found himself to be one. Through prayer and much support, he has come off of drugs, has a career, and started a family. God is always willing to save a person, and God has changed many people who were bound with sexual addictions, including homosexuality.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

I Don't know it all, but we should all go to the marriage and child rearing manual for directions.
My reading of Genesis through the entire O.T. is the following observation. I'm oversimplifying this, but for sale if brevity I'll hit bullet points.

*First, my heart goes out to christian parents who have a child who came back from school to announce that they came out of the closet and want acceptance. That's very sad. I'm not here to judge and condemn anyone.
* There are good parents who have children grow up to be disappoints in some part of their character.
* There are generations of believers back then as there are now, who think they've done their job to expose their children to church. This is not enough. It will be a rocky row to how so to speak later if lessons in parenting aren't learned early. Just my observations.
*The children who were "hey mom and dad, this is my same sex bo or gff and wanted you to know" were all public school educated. It probably happens in christian school educated as well, but I know of none. Does not mean it doesn't happen because many christian schools have the same problems as public. I have yet to learn of home schooled children with this issue, but again I used to teach home schoolers, but have a limited number to cite. My conclusion from reading the available research at the time of my homeschool study and observation showed the following summary.
A. In spite of exceptions, christian home school children were on average socially more adjusted than the average private and public school counterparts.
B. Parental involvement had more to do with various success factors than other variables.

I'm friends of a family who had a child who excelled until she moved out on her own to college. A lesbian relationship was established. She was raised in a public school setting every weekday for 12 years.
It's hard for parents to counter those many influences. That was the basic idea when the Prussian model was adopted in the USA.
It was based upon state uniformity to the will of large corporations. The family until was not a factor, but the contrary. Strangers would raise the children in a state,/ corporate approved manner. They took the place of the parents.
*Time and again, God warned His people against this. The few exceptional parents were commended because the parents would raise their children according to His statutes.
The masses tended to go so far as to allow heathens to marry their children.
What is the norm today?
God's people decided to reject God's commands and raise their children as the heathens do and give their sons and daughters to heathens to marry. The parents who have "gay" children most likely failed to insulate them adequately and protect them from the wickedness that captivated their hearts.
It would take too long to provide examples.

I have rejected the way contemporary Christianity has done things for many generations. It might be too late, but if the Lord provides me with a decent believer we plan to raise children according to God's Word. There are no guarantees since nobody is perfect, but it would be a failure somewhere very important if the child became homosexual. That's not a roll if the dice.

CS1

May 23, 2012
The meme I provided was to show you it is a trap and a shaming guilt trip that most LGBTQ would call you out on for doing the same thing by saying Homosexuality is a sin. I think someone said earlier about good parents raising kids who became gay.

Now a false narrative has been placed by the world of what they think to be morally superior over you if you do not go to your gay child's wedding. " Oh unloving," "God is love," "that's not being Christian."

The first thing brothers and sisters, I like to say is :

1. the devil is a liar.
2. There is NOW no Condemnation to you who are in Christ Jesus, so a worldly response to what GOD said HE would not bless has no authority over your choice as a Christian to go or not go to your child's gay wedding.

The choice is yours. I am a minister of the Gospel. Therefore, I will not go or perform a ceremony for a gay wedding as I have been asked to do for family members. My mother was very upset. That to shall pass.

What is the truth?

The Truth is that sin is never satisfied and will drag you down into deeper sin, as all sexual sin does.

Human reasoning will say,;
  • " There is nothing wrong with two consenting adults choosing to be in a relationship of the same sex.
  • "what they do in their own home and bedroom is none of my business.
But those who are gay have that now, don't they?

Then why must it be taught in schools, create laws to punish parents who teach it is wrong, and now require transgender for children 8 years of age? That doesn't sound like two consenting adults, does it?

Now they want puberty blockers, genital removal, and access to things that were created for Biological women.

The new term is now Binary and Non-binary in context to male and female genders.

Is that true? I guess we have had 0% inflation when it was 8% and did not go to 9% = 0% inflation for the month.

The word of God says, " woe to those who call good evil and evil good.
We are about to enter into very serious persecution in the United States, and the reason why it will happen is for the following reasons IMHO:

1. disobedience
  2. We have forgotten God's days without the number
  3. lawlessness fills the earth, and violence is on the land
  4. as the family goes, so goes the church
  5. we have the form of godliness but deny the power thereof
  6. the spirit of the antichrist is taking the forefront
  7. Biblical illiteracy, no prayer life
  8. lack of faith, unrepented

What can we do?

There is pleasure in sin, but it will not last.

heb 11:25
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

I have Good news :)

Rom 8:37-39

37 Yet (all these problems) in all these things, we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1. Nothing the devil or the world throws at you can separate you from the Love of God. NOT going to your child's gay wedding will not separate you from God's love no more than going. BUT speak the truth in love it will not stand, it will not work it will not bring peace, and it will not bring Joy

Jesus said you shall receive POWER to be a Witness of HIM and His resurrection.

The power of God is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

As Paul said, " I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for it is the POWER OF GOD unto Salvation.
Jesus said on that day and time in Matthew chapter 24

And Jesus answered and said, " Take heed that no man deceive you"
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8All these are the beginning of sorrows.

In Luke 12, Jesus said :

4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

11 “Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

Luke 21, Jesus said :

10 Then He said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 And there will be great earthquakes in various places, and famines and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and great signs from heaven.

12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you,

delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons.
You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name’s sake.
13 But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony.

14 Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer; 15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist.

16 You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death.

17 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. 18 But not a hair of your head shall be lost. 19 By your patience possess your souls.

We have not been given a spirit of fear but one of Power, Love, and a healthy mind.
Now is the time to great your family together, repent as family, and pray as one and call on the name of the Lord and hold on to His unfailing word and love.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
So Tamlynn,

What do you think?
I think that you can do everything "right" and your child could still choose a different path.

Sadly, sometimes what we feel is right, comes off as condemning and legalistic (because that's the way we end up presenting the Gospel) and actually turns our kids away from Christianity.
(Not just our children...other people too).

God is faithful.

I believe that God is out chasing our prodigal kids. 🙏🏻

GardenofWeeden

Jul 27, 2018
The Garden of Weeden
I wonder about things like this often. The Bible says to do unto others as I would want others to do unto me (paraphrased). Knowing this, and knowing my children would know my beliefs long before they prepare for marriage, I would attend, and I would help her plan things if she wanted. They would both know I don't agree with their choices, but I still love them both and want them both to be safe and happy. If the tables were turned, I would be deeply wounded if my mother refused to attend my wedding. If I were already fighting God in my life, that would push me over the edge to disbelief. I couldn't do that to one of my daughters. I would continue to pray for her, like I pray for all my children, but my job isn't to change her, it's just to love her.

But that's just me :)

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I think that you can do everything "right" and your child could still choose a different path.

Sadly, sometimes what we feel is right, comes off as condemning and legalistic (because that's the way we end up presenting the Gospel) and actually turns our kids away from Christianity.
(Not just our children...other people too).

God is faithful.

I believe that God is out chasing our prodigal kids. 🙏🏻
If I had children, I would make sure they heard this and had opportunities to make this all important decision before puberty.
As a person ages, so do the percentage of decisions to be positive toward God.
When a child or adult trusts Jesus as Savior, the Word of God is then able to set them apart from destructive people in their lives. Not all of them are homosexual. They should develop a desire for the spiritual milk as a baby does at birth with mom. Then meat is introduced and strength occurs..
That desire to grow close to God in friendship and faith comes with consistency. That must be nurtured and established early according to the Bible. Even Timothy likely had imperfect home life, but both his mother and grandmother led him. Paul picked up where they left off. The rest is in history forever. 🙂

Every child, teenager and adult needs this good news. It's not legalistic. It's kindness that we don't deserve.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
If I had children, I would make sure they heard this and had opportunities to make this all important decision before puberty.
As a person ages, so do the percentage of decisions to be positive toward God.
When a child or adult trusts Jesus as Savior, the Word of God is then able to set them apart from destructive people in their lives. Not all of them are homosexual. They should develop a desire for the spiritual milk as a baby does at birth with mom. Then meat is introduced and strength occurs..
That desire to grow close to God in friendship and faith comes with consistency. That must be nurtured and established early according to the Bible. Even Timothy likely had imperfect home life, but both his mother and grandmother led him. Paul picked up where they left off. The rest is in history forever. 🙂

Every child, teenager and adult needs this good news. It's not legalistic. It's kindness that we don't deserve.

So you don't have children.
Do you

GardenofWeeden

Jul 27, 2018
The Garden of Weeden
[QUOTE
* There are good parents who have children grow up to be disappoints in some part of their character.
[/QUOTE]
Every person in the world disappoints someone. That is part of the basis of realizing we need God, realizing everyone will disappoint us in some way at some time, but God never will. Every grown child has some part of their character that "disappoints" their parents in some way. It's just how the world goes. I have 3 amazing daughters, and yet, each one has something about them that drives me batty, if I let it. I don't love them in spite of those things. I love them BECAUSE those things are part of what makes my amazing children.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Do you
I taught a lot of children from many different backgrounds. I studied human development, education formally for 5+ years, but the best experts are some of the close Christian families I've gotten to know over the years. Of course the Bible has the keys and answers the question posed in the OP.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
Do you
Sorry about that...here is the rest of my comment. 🙃

I'm wondering if you spend much time with people who do have children (of all ages)?

While your intentions towards child rearing are admirable, its not as cut and dry as you think.
I won't say anything else regarding it though.
Its something you'll probably only understand once you've had and raised your own kids. 🙂

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Sorry about that...here is the rest of my comment. 🙃

I'm wondering if you spend much time with people who do have children (of all ages)?

While your intentions towards child rearing are admirable, its not as cut and dry as you think.
I won't say anything else regarding it though.
Its something you'll probably only understand once you've had and raised your own kids. 🙂
There's always room to learn.
Like I said, I don't know it all, however I believe that the Bible addresses basic parenting better than any text books on human development or family psychologists.
I've spent lots of time around families.
Enough to know me well enough to be asked to date some of their grown daughters. I've had many great teachers who have done remarkable hard work raising children.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Correction:
It's getting late, and I'm making mistakes with and without autocorrect" assistance."
I said, "As a person ages, so do the percentage of decisions to be positive toward God.". I meant to say that the average goes down dramatically with age. That's why it's so important that children are encouraged to place their faith in the Lord early.
After that, you won't be seeing them come home like the meme in the OP.

As to "cut and dry'?
Every child is different.
I'm just throwing out a few biblical principles tonight.
It's not so cut and dry, but that's all there's time for. .
Have a good night.

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
I just asked my daughter. She would not ask me to her hypothetical homosexual wedding because she knows the Bible sees it as a sin and that I agree with what is Biblical. She also knows to love the sinner and not the sin.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I just asked my daughter. She would not ask me to her hypothetical homosexual wedding because she knows the Bible sees it as a sin and that I agree with what is Biblical. She also knows to love the sinner and not the sin.
I agree with your attitude and commend you for talking to your child. Many parents leave those talks for someone from the world to handle.
Not to nitpick, I just thought that you being a student of the Word would like to know, like someone shared with me. We've both heard preachers use this phrase, but there's a reason they never cited us the reference. It's because it's not in the Bible. It was a phrase made popular by a famous sodomite named Mahatma Gandhi . Preachers have repeated it so much that we have come to assume that it's Scripture. I'm only bringing it up because I knew that you'd want to know too. 🙂👍