Church camps

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Well-known member
Dec 15, 2018
33,107
12,091
113
I was going to title this thread 'Happy Campers' but I thought then people might talk about all kinds of camps, and thats ok, but I am really wanting to know more about church camps.

Have you been on any, what do you like (or don't like) about them. Have you helped organise one? Do you go every year?
Does everyone sing grace together and what activities do you do.

Do you stay in cabins or pitch tents or both? What are favourite games to play and foods to eat. How do you get to sleep?
Have you made life-long friends at church camps or do you only ever see them at church. Is it just your denomination or can any Christian go to them? Does it cost to go, and how do you get there. How long do you stay for?

If someone hasn't been before or didn't know anyone would you encourage them to go and be your buddy?
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch
I was going to title this thread 'Happy Campers' but I thought then people might talk about all kinds of camps, and thats ok, but I am really wanting to know more about church camps.

Have you been on any, what do you like (or don't like) about them. Have you helped organise one? Do you go every year?
Does everyone sing grace together and what activities do you do.

Do you stay in cabins or pitch tents or both? What are favourite games to play and foods to eat. How do you get to sleep?
Have you made life-long friends at church camps or do you only ever see them at church. Is it just your denomination or can any Christian go to them? Does it cost to go, and how do you get there. How long do you stay for?

If someone hasn't been before or didn't know anyone would you encourage them to go and be your buddy?
Yes, Cabins, but tents are cheaper depending on budget. sometimes both. depends on the focus, too. If it's a men's rugged camping trip, no cabins, duh. if it's not a rugged one, sure, cabins, dorms, whatever. It varies a lot. but let me tell you, it can get pretty cold at night in july.

It varies a lot. in answer to every question you pose: sometimes. lol.
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch
I was going to title this thread 'Happy Campers' but I thought then people might talk about all kinds of camps, and thats ok, but I am really wanting to know more about church camps.

Have you been on any, what do you like (or don't like) about them. Have you helped organise one? Do you go every year?
Does everyone sing grace together and what activities do you do.

Do you stay in cabins or pitch tents or both? What are favourite games to play and foods to eat. How do you get to sleep?
Have you made life-long friends at church camps or do you only ever see them at church. Is it just your denomination or can any Christian go to them? Does it cost to go, and how do you get there. How long do you stay for?

If someone hasn't been before or didn't know anyone would you encourage them to go and be your buddy?
I've been to a few camps and I was a youth group leader for one. It was on Philip Island, a well known tourist place. There is a colony of penguins, a surf beach and wildlife sanctuaries. My co-worker organised it.

It was great. I did learn not to show off on a push bike. I hit a patch of sand, went into the dirt and broke two ribs.

There were a lot of group activities. No one joined me for the rib breaking event. We had a number of teaching sessions. We had dinner together, fully catered. Sleep was easy. Wear everyone out physically and sleep takes care of itself.

The venue was a very old Anglican conference facility that had two dormitories. It had been taken over by mosquitos, so I became the group pest controller. A few insecticide spray cans did the trick.

It definitely helped to bring more unity to the group.
 
I was going to title this thread 'Happy Campers' but I thought then people might talk about all kinds of camps, and thats ok, but I am really wanting to know more about church camps.

Have you been on any, what do you like (or don't like) about them. Have you helped organise one? Do you go every year?
Does everyone sing grace together and what activities do you do.

Do you stay in cabins or pitch tents or both? What are favourite games to play and foods to eat. How do you get to sleep?
Have you made life-long friends at church camps or do you only ever see them at church. Is it just your denomination or can any Christian go to them? Does it cost to go, and how do you get there. How long do you stay for?

If someone hasn't been before or didn't know anyone would you encourage them to go and be your buddy?

I was a camp worker/councilor at church summer camps. There were lots of organized activities, and a sermon daily.
The children and many parents who volunteered enjoyed those shared experiences.
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch
I've been to a few camps and I was a youth group leader for one. It was on Philip Island, a well known tourist place. There is a colony of penguins, a surf beach and wildlife sanctuaries. My co-worker organised it.

It was great. I did learn not to show off on a push bike. I hit a patch of sand, went into the dirt and broke two ribs.

There were a lot of group activities. No one joined me for the rib breaking event. We had a number of teaching sessions. We had dinner together, fully catered. Sleep was easy. Wear everyone out physically and sleep takes care of itself.

The venue was a very old Anglican conference facility that had two dormitories. It had been taken over by mosquitos, so I became the group pest controller. A few insecticide spray cans did the trick.

It definitely helped to bring more unity to the group.
Church camps with penguins!!!

Did you know you can camp at Taronga Zoo? Def go there to camp with the giraffes!
 
  • Wow
Reactions: seoulsearch
Yes, Cabins, but tents are cheaper depending on budget. sometimes both. depends on the focus, too. If it's a men's rugged camping trip, no cabins, duh. if it's not a rugged one, sure, cabins, dorms, whatever. It varies a lot. but let me tell you, it can get pretty cold at night in july.

It varies a lot. in answer to every question you pose: sometimes. lol.
BYO tent?

Campervan? RV?

Cold nights are what camp fires are for. How many marshmallows can you fit on a stick?
 
I was a camp worker/councilor at church summer camps. There were lots of organized activities, and a sermon daily.
The children and many parents who volunteered enjoyed those shared experiences.
What was some of the memorable activities?

Blind man's bluff or the one you play with the torch.
Tug of war...
Flying fox?
Water slide?

The end of camp skit/revue?
 
Many years ago, in the first church I joined after my conversion, I went on a young people's camp which that church ran. I don't remember much about it. I know we slept in tents, which I was used to, having been in the Cubs and later Scouts, I can't say that I made any friends on the camp, because the other young people were all known to me from the life of the church, before the camp.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: seoulsearch
I was going to title this thread 'Happy Campers' but I thought then people might talk about all kinds of camps, and thats ok, but I am really wanting to know more about church camps.

Have you been on any, what do you like (or don't like) about them. Have you helped organise one? Do you go every year?
Does everyone sing grace together and what activities do you do.

Do you stay in cabins or pitch tents or both? What are favourite games to play and foods to eat. How do you get to sleep?
Have you made life-long friends at church camps or do you only ever see them at church. Is it just your denomination or can any Christian go to them? Does it cost to go, and how do you get there. How long do you stay for?

If someone hasn't been before or didn't know anyone would you encourage them to go and be your buddy?

I went to a Lutheran summer camp (it lasted a week,) around the ages of 10, 11, and 12. I don't remember what the cost was. My best friend and I were just amazed we talked our parents into paying for it and driving the couple of hours it took to drop us off and pick us up.

We stayed in cabins and did all the things you mentioned -- singing, games, crafts, swimming, bonfires, Bible lessons. It was freezing in the morning and hot during the day, so the temperatures weren't very comfortable. And I did not like having to use a community shower.

It was just for our denomination (WELS Lutheran) or those we had fellowship with (for example, I think we had fellowship with ELS but not MLS... it got very confusing.)

My favorite parts were mail call (I was always trying to get people to write me,) and Kangaroo Court, where the counselors made up funny skits about what had happened during the week (like a mock fire drill in which a counselor yelled "FIRE!!" -- and a group of girls proceeded to run INTO the cabin instead of outside.)

I have two counselors I've stayed in touch with all our lives -- I just saw one this past summer. I think she was 19 when we met and now she adult children and new grandkids.

There was also a very infamous counselor when I was there, Paul. He was very sweet and very good-looking -- it' was said during the rest of the summer, he was a lifeguard -- every female, young and old, had a crush on him.

My brother and I won a Simon Says contest he was leading (we learned that the secret was to look at the ground and listen to the instructions, but not look at person giving them so we wouldn't follow what they were doing,) and for some reason, after that, Paul was always especially kind to me.

He would invite me to sit at the Counselor's Table and choose me as a partner for games. It was never anything creepy -- just a very popular guy being nice to an awkward, misfit little girl.

About 25 years later, I found him on Facebook -- it was interesting to see him now as a grown dad-- an ordinary person instead of a childhood crush. He was still cute, but in a middle-aged man kind of way. I wrote him and told him how much his taking the time to be nice to me had meant when I was a kid.

He wrote back and told me he was proud of the person I had become. I had to laugh because I could tell he was really struggling with what to say to a now mid-30-something-me instead of the 10-year-old me I'm sure he still saw me as.

I learned from him that we never know how we might help or inspire someone.

I told God all my life that if it was His will, when I got older, I wanted to boost other young people's confidence the way Paul that had done for me.

I have a soft spot for underdogs I see myself in, and like my Lutheran camp counselors, hope I can be of some help to them.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Lanolin
I went to a Lutheran summer camp (it lasted a week,) around the ages of 10, 11, and 12. I don't remember what the cost was. My best friend and I were just amazed we talked our parents into paying for it and driving the couple of hours it took to drop us off and pick us up.

We stayed in cabins and did all the things you mentioned -- singing, games, crafts, swimming, bonfires, Bible lessons. It was freezing in the morning and hot during the day, so the temperatures weren't very comfortable. And I did not like having to use a community shower.

It was just for our denomination (WELS Lutheran) or those we had fellowship with (for example, I think we had fellowship with ELS but not MLS... it got very confusing.)

My favorite parts were mail call (I was always trying to get people to write me,) and Kangaroo Court, where the counselors made up funny skits about what had happened during the week (like a mock fire drill in which a counselor yelled "FIRE!!" -- and a group of girls proceeded to run INTO the cabin instead of outside.)

I have two counselors I've stayed in touch with all our lives -- I just saw one this past summer. I think she was 19 when we met and now she adult children and new grandkids.

There was also a very infamous counselor when I was there, Paul. He was very sweet and very good-looking -- it' was said during the rest of the summer, he was a lifeguard -- every female, young and old, had a crush on him.

My brother and I won a Simon Says contest he was leading (we learned that the secret was to look at the ground and listen to the instructions, but not look at person giving them so we wouldn't follow what they were doing,) and for some reason, after that, Paul was always especially kind to me.

He would invite me to sit at the Counselor's Table and choose me as a partner for games. It was never anything creepy -- just a very popular guy being nice to an awkward, misfit little girl.

About 25 years later, I found him on Facebook -- it was interesting to see him now as a grown dad-- an ordinary person instead of a childhood crush. He was still cute, but in a middle-aged man kind of way. I wrote him and told him how much his taking the time to be nice to me had meant when I was a kid.

He wrote back and told me he was proud of the person I had become. I had to laugh because I could tell he was really struggling with what to say to a now mid-30-something-me instead of the 10-year-old me I'm sure he still saw me as.

I learned from him that we never know how we might help or inspire someone.

I told God all my life that if it was His will, when I got older, I wanted to boost other young people's confidence the way Paul that had done for me.

I have a soft spot for underdogs I see myself in, and like my Lutheran camp counselors, hope I can be of some help to them.
Sounds great fun

Except for the shower bit yea I agree. On all the Christian camps I been on (only as an adult) we always had to clean the showers (and toilets) it wasn't my favourite part of the camp since these showers/toilets were shared.

Your first time away from home is kind of exciting though especially an entire WEEK with your friends and no parents what's not to like.
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch