Church of Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I trhink that happens because of bad experiences. I have family members who belong to the Church of Christ. They do preach that if you do not belong to the CoC then you will go to hell. I also realized that they are a segregated church. When ever there are conferences and things of that nature, the predominately white churches and predominately black churches do not fellowship or participate with each other.

I do not say this to down grade any denomination but just stating what I have seen and why others may make some nasty remarks. I believe everyone will be judged by their individual actions not by the actions of a group they may have ties to. But at the same time I do question why someone would belong to such groups. But, people may say the same about me too.

You wanna know where the whole saying "If you aren't CoC then you will go to Hell" came from?

Well, it didn't come from the bible I tell ya that!

IT came from a group of old, arrogant deacons back in the 1950s.

ANYONE that even says that needs to read the bible about judging...ya know....judge not lest ye be judged.

I am sure that not all members of the CoC will make it in to heaven. So when someone preaches that load of BULL they need to sit take a step back and look at their own lives and see how sinless they are.

J

jimmydiggs

Eh, I would get along more with the CoC on most issues except for Arminianism Vs. Calvinism (I'm not really commited to a side) and some of the legalism.

S

Scotth1960

Anyone call can their church the "Church of Christ", and that does not make it any more Holy than my big toe.

The Church of Christ is a Christian church. It's foundation is Jesus. If a church was founded by man...let's say Henry VIII then the church is not founded under scriptual context.

The Church of Christ was founded on scriptual context. They are NOT a cult.
There are different Protestant denominations that use the term "Church of Christ".

The "United Church of Christ" was founded in 1957, with roots to Colonial days (see Handbook of Denominations in the United States).
The "Churches of Christ" was founded in 1906, with roots to the 1820s.
Neither of these denominations can trace their existence, belief, or doctrines back to Jesus Christ in the New Testament, and to the New Testament Church with a long Apostolic Succession of bishops going back to the 12 Apostles and Paul, for example
Peter (St Peter)
Andrew (St Andrew)
John (St John)
James (St James)
Paul (St Paul)
Matthew (St Matthew)
Mark (St Mark)
Luke (St Luke)
Thomas (St Thomas)
Bartholomew (St Bartholomew)
Philip (St Philip)
Barnabas (St Barnabas)
Timothy (St Timothy)
Titus (St Titus)
The above denominations can trace some of their doctrines only back to John Wycliffe in the 1200s and John Huss, Martin Luther, Huldrich Zwingli, John Calvin, John Wesley, James Arminius. Or dozens of other Protestants, all of who teach "faith alone" and "2 sacraments alone" and who deny the existence or at least the validity of the Orthodox Church. Many or most confuse Eastern Orthodoxy as a form of Roman Catholicism without the pope. That is slander. Orthodoxy is quite different from papism, and is not a false belief.
In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
There are different Protestant denominations that use the term "Church of Christ".

The "United Church of Christ" was founded in 1957, with roots to Colonial days (see Handbook of Denominations in the United States).
The "Churches of Christ" was founded in 1906, with roots to the 1820s.
Neither of these denominations can trace their existence, belief, or doctrines back to Jesus Christ in the New Testament, and to the New Testament Church with a long Apostolic Succession of bishops going back to the 12 Apostles and Paul, for example
Peter (St Peter)
Andrew (St Andrew)
John (St John)
James (St James)
Paul (St Paul)
Matthew (St Matthew)
Mark (St Mark)
Luke (St Luke)
Thomas (St Thomas)
Bartholomew (St Bartholomew)
Philip (St Philip)
Barnabas (St Barnabas)
Timothy (St Timothy)
Titus (St Titus)
The above denominations can trace some of their doctrines only back to John Wycliffe in the 1200s and John Huss, Martin Luther, Huldrich Zwingli, John Calvin, John Wesley, James Arminius. Or dozens of other Protestants, all of who teach "faith alone" and "2 sacraments alone" and who deny the existence or at least the validity of the Orthodox Church. Many or most confuse Eastern Orthodoxy as a form of Roman Catholicism without the pope. That is slander. Orthodoxy is quite different from papism, and is not a false belief.
In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

One of the earliest advocates of the return to New Testament Christianity, as a means of achieving unity of all believers in Christ, was James O'Kelly of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1793 he withdrew from the Baltimore conference of his church and called upon others to join him in taking the Bible as the only creed. His influence was largely felt in Virginia and North Carolina where history records that some seven thousand communicants followed his leadership toward a return to primitive New Testament Christianity.

In 1802 a similar movement among the Baptists in New England was led by Abner Jones and Elias Smith. They were concerned about "denominational names and creeds" and decided to wear only the name Christian, taking Bible as their only guide. In 1804, in the western frontier state of Kentucky, Barton W. Stone and several other Presbyterian preachers took similar action declaring that they would take the Bible as the "only sure guide to heaven." Thomas Campbell, and his illustrious son, Alexander Campbell, took similar steps in the year 1809 in what is now the state of West Virginia. They contended that nothing should be bound upon Christians as a matter of doctrine which is not as old as the New Testament. Although these four movements were completely independent in their beginnings eventually they became one strong restoration movement because of their common purpose and plea. These men did not advocate the starting of a new church, but rather a return to Christ's church as described in the Bible.
Members of the church of Christ do not conceive of themselves as a new church started near the beginning of the 19th century. Rather, the whole movement is designed to reproduce in contemporary times the church originally established on Pentecost, A.D. 30. The strength of the appeal lies in the restoration of Christ's original church

A

AnandaHya

Oh I knew some claws would come out.

You're right though.

Im my experience with debating if someone comes across defensive and hostile it is usually because they do not have the skills or knowledge to back it up.

Funny how all I said was Church of Christ and suddenly I was labeled.

Stereotypes....gotta love em.
lol I don't buy labels they lie.

there are people claiming to be Christian and are ministers of Satan and there are homeless people who have hearts of gold and can quote you the entire Bible and will drop down in their knees in prayer whenever God places it in their heart.

1 Corinthians 4:10-15
New King James Version (NKJV)
10 We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored! 11 To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. 12 And we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; 13 being defamed, we entreat. We have been made as the filth of the world, the offscouring of all things until now.

14 I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children I warn you. 15 For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

E

eternally-gratefull

I trhink that happens because of bad experiences. I have family members who belong to the Church of Christ. They do preach that if you do not belong to the CoC then you will go to hell. I also realized that they are a segregated church. When ever there are conferences and things of that nature, the predominately white churches and predominately black churches do not fellowship or participate with each other.

I do not say this to down grade any denomination but just stating what I have seen and why others may make some nasty remarks. I believe everyone will be judged by their individual actions not by the actions of a group they may have ties to. But at the same time I do question why someone would belong to such groups. But, people may say the same about me too.
The only COC that I know says this is the boston sect. They broke away from the mainstream, and made everyone who followed them get rebaptized, aand said if you did not go with them you were not going to heaven. They even told my wife back then that if she did nto leave me and join them she would go to hell..

Then again, I think all denominations have these sects that are evil. Not just the COC.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
The only COC that I know says this is the boston sect. They broke away from the mainstream, and made everyone who followed them get rebaptized, aand said if you did not go with them you were not going to heaven. They even told my wife back then that if she did nto leave me and join them she would go to hell..

Then again, I think all denominations have these sects that are evil. Not just the COC.

I've never heard of the Boston sect actually. Sounds alot liek a cult. I am not part of that.

I also want to mention(no this isnt aimed at you eternally) that this thread was not created to bash, condemn or even argue the Church of Christ or any other church.

I was simply asking if there were any others on this forum that attended the CoC.

Now, in saying that...Scott...I am sure you are in intelligent man, and I would love to continue our converstion on whether or not my beliefs are godly or not, but this is not the thread to do so. IF you want to create a thread on how you know more about my beliefs than I do then I will be happy to have a nice, friendly, witty, Christian debate.

J

jimmydiggs

I was simply asking if there were any others on this forum that attended the CoC.
When I arrive at College in Cape town, I will attend a CoC for awhile atleast, because I want a biblical baptism.(Just gotta throw this in, baptism isn't neccesary for salvation :p ) From there, I plan to be apart of no denomination.

S

SantoSubito

I attended the Church of Christ services with one of my girlfriends in high school (I attended Mass as well of course). But that relationship didn't end well, since her parents were none to happy about the promises their daughter would have to make if we married (raise any children Catholic, marriage in a Catholic Church, etc.)

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I attended the Church of Christ services with one of my girlfriends in high school (I attended Mass as well of course). But that relationship didn't end well, since her parents were none to happy about the promises their daughter would have to make if we married (raise any children Catholic, marriage in a Catholic Church, etc.)
Really?

My boyfriend is Catholic. I am not trying to be hateful, but is that how it goes?
In the event we married the children would be raised Catholic?

S

SantoSubito

Really?

My boyfriend is Catholic. I am not trying to be hateful, but is that how it goes?
In the event we married the children would be raised Catholic?
Usually your asked to agree to raise any children Catholic, but the duty falls to your husband and all the agreement really means to you is that you won't hinder that intentionally. For example your (possible) husband, children, and you could attend both the Catholic Mass and CoC services on Sundays, but you shouldn't intentionally teach the children contrary to Catholic doctrine after the Mass or at other times.

At it's most base level it's an agreement that at minimum the children will be baptized, communed, and confirmed (if they so choose at that age) Catholic. But the strictness of the agreement differs by diocese so you may want to check with the local bishop (or archbishop).

There are two possibilities for the wedding it either:

A). Has to be at a Catholic church

B). Has to be a co-celebrated ceremony with a Catholic priest and a Protestant minister (or Orthodox priest).

(BTW, Scott is Eastern Orthodox, not Catholic.)

Last edited:

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Usually your asked to agree to raise any children Catholic, but the duty falls to your husband and all the agreement really means to you is that you won't hinder that intentionally. For example your (possible) husband, children, and you could attend both the Catholic Mass and CoC services on Sundays, but you shouldn't intentionally teach the children contrary to Catholic doctrine after the Mass or at other times.

At it's most base level it's an agreement that at minimum the children will be baptized, communed, and confirmed (if they so choose at that age) Catholic. But the strictness of the agreement differs by diocese so you may want to check with the local bishop (or archbishop).

There are two possibilities for the wedding it either:

A). Has to be at a Catholic church

B). Has to be a co-celebrated ceremony with a Catholic priest and a Protestant minister (or Orthodox priest).

(BTW, Scott is Eastern Orthodox, not Catholic.)

Good thing the boyfriend is neutered. lol
And I don't want anymore kids. I have one from a previous relationship.

S

SantoSubito

Good thing the boyfriend is neutered. lol
And I don't want anymore kids. I have one from a previous relationship.
Honestly that agreement kind of hinders the type of woman I could marry since most devout protestants won't agree to those agreements. Atheists or agnostics on the other hand largely wouldn't care.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Ok, well I am not Catholic, but I seriously would not want to do anyhting to offend him or go against his beliefs(at least not right now ;) )

He is divorced. Has three kids by his ex. She filed for the divorce. One of those situations where they didnt get along so they split. I know how the CoC is on divorce, but is that kind of divorce acceptable in the Catholic church?

He said something about the church has to approve the divorce or something involving paperwork. Can you clarrify this for me? You can message me if you wish since i made such a big deal about this thread and what the topic is.

S

SantoSubito

Ok, well I am not Catholic, but I seriously would not want to do anyhting to offend him or go against his beliefs(at least not right now ;) )

He is divorced. Has three kids by his ex. She filed for the divorce. One of those situations where they didnt get along so they split. I know how the CoC is on divorce, but is that kind of divorce acceptable in the Catholic church?

He said something about the church has to approve the divorce or something involving paperwork. Can you clarrify this for me? You can message me if you wish since i made such a big deal about this thread and what the topic is.
He would have to get an annulment (assuming he is even eligible for one). If the Church grants an annulment he is allowed to marry again, if he is refused an annulment he can not marry again, because in the eyes of the Church he is still married to his ex, and if he married again the Church would not recognize the marriage and he would be considered to be living in adultery. Usually he'll have to present his case to a Tribunal (usually composed of priests, sometimes bishops are present).

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
He would have to get an annulment (assuming he is even eligible for one). If the Church grants an annulment he is allowed to marry again, if he is refused an annulment he can not marry again, because in the eyes of the Church he is still married to his ex, and if he married again the Church would not recognize the marriage and he would be considered to be living in adultery. Usually he'll have to present his case to a Tribunal (usually composed of priests, sometimes bishops are present).

I can in a way agree with that. Where the CoC and the Catholics differ on this is the hierachy, but in my belief if the divorce is not scriptual then you shouldn't remarry.

I've never married, and I think that is one reason why I have not. My beliefs. I am 30, and I have a child. Chances are whoever I marry(if I marry) will probably have been married in the past.

S

SantoSubito

I can in a way agree with that. Where the CoC and the Catholics differ on this is the hierachy, but in my belief if the divorce is not scriptual then you shouldn't remarry.

I've never married, and I think that is one reason why I have not. My beliefs. I am 30, and I have a child. Chances are whoever I marry(if I marry) will probably have been married in the past.
It makes the process considerably easier since you have never been married, otherwise you would also have to get an annulment from the Church.

On a side note, if your boyfriend was married solely by a civil authority then his previous marriage is already invalid due to "Lack of Form", but if he married in the Church then the process is significantly longer and the chances he'll be granted an annulment less likely.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
It makes the process considerably easier since you have never been married, otherwise you would also have to get an annulment from the Church.

On a side note, if your boyfriend was married solely by a civil authority then his previous marriage is already invalid due to "Lack of Form", but if he married in the Church then the process is significantly longer and the chances he'll be granted an annulment less likely.

Even if she filed for the divorce and he tried everything to stop it?

I dont know why I am so concerned on this. We have only been together a few months. Marriage isnt even part of our conversation.

S

SantoSubito

Even if she filed for the divorce and he tried everything to stop it?

I dont know why I am so concerned on this. We have only been together a few months. Marriage isnt even part of our conversation.
Well the question the Church asks is "Was the marriage valid in the first place", and not "Did either party put enough effort into stopping a divorce". Marriage to us is a undissolvable bond between a man and a woman; once a person is validly married they are married "till death do us part". To us divorce, for any reason, is never justified.