Church of Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 11, 2012
Its not about joining a church organization,but finding a body of believers who are following the narrow way, IF this denomination, or any others isnt preaching the truth, and calling men everywhere to repentance on the scale of Nineveh, or they teach water washes away the sins as most COC churches do then I wouldnt support that church.

False doctrine leads to more false doctrine, but again please make sure and test the spirit anywhere you go, the church is usually not a safe place for the babes in Christ, not willing to seek the truth, and take some church doctrine over the truth!

Tit 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Its not about joining a church organization,but finding a body of believers who are following the narrow way, IF this denomination, or any others isnt preaching the truth, and calling men everywhere to repentance on the scale of Nineveh, or they teach water washes away the sins as most COC churches do then I wouldnt support that church.

False doctrine leads to more false doctrine, but again please make sure and test the spirit anywhere you go, the church is usually not a safe place for the babes in Christ, not willing to seek the truth, and take some church doctrine over the truth!

Tit 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
The Church of Christ does not teach that water washes away sin.
With all due respect make sure you have your facts correct about certain beliefs before you start to condemn them.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Even though this thread is old the OP still stands. This thread was not created to bash the CoC or any other organization. Why can people not comprehend that?

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Maybe not all CoC teach that they are the only ones going to heaven, but many of them do. They use that scripture in Mathew when Jesus says ''Upon this rock, I will build my church. However, in the original language, He uses the word Ecclessia, which means a government or a kingdom, not a church. So their doctrine is church minded as opposed to kingdom minded.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Maybe not all CoC teach that they are the only ones going to heaven, but many of them do. They use that scripture in Mathew when Jesus says ''Upon this rock, I will build my church. However, in the original language, He uses the word Ecclessia, which means a government or a kingdom, not a church. So their doctrine is church minded as opposed to kingdom minded.
again WRONG!

Maybe I should request to just have this thread deleted. This is the first thread I ever made here. I dont know why someone felt the need to bump it, but obviously people just want to bash a belief they know nothing about which was not the intent of this thread.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Maybe this is not standard CoC doctrine, but i have read literature from a local CoC that teaches this doctrine. They also teach that using instruments in church will send you to hell. Maybe its only certain isolated churches that teach crazy stuff like this.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
again WRONG!

Maybe I should request to just have this thread deleted. This is the first thread I ever made here. I dont know why someone felt the need to bump it, but obviously people just want to bash a belief they know nothing about which was not the intent of this thread.
I think you missed the part where he said some....not every church even within denominations is 100% identical

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Maybe this is not standard CoC doctrine, but i have read literature from a local CoC that teaches this doctrine. They also teach that using instruments in church will send you to hell. Maybe its only certain isolated churches that teach crazy stuff like this.
I do attend a congregation where we sing acapella, but no where have I heard a minister say that you will go to hell for doing otherwise.

The reason why the CoC does not use instruments is because no where in the NT are we commanded to use them during worship.
Yes, it mentions instruments, but there is no command and therefore the CoC refrains from this practice.

Many in the CoC are highly conservative and somewhat legalistic, but that does not mean that the entire body of the CoC is that way. I understand that we are looked at as a "cult" a "false doctrine" and so on, but this also comes from people who don't even know what people like myself believe. The assume things are true from others who do not agree with the doctrine and then believe that as true.
I have stated before, anyone who is a Christian is a member of the church of Christ.

I am not meaning you Dude, but I am sure someone here who "knows more" about my beliiefs than I do will refute this. Yet at the same time prove they are ignorant in the CoC doctrine.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I think you missed the part where he said some....not every church even within denominations is 100% identical
I think you missed the part where I stated this thread was not intended for people to bash the Coc...no matter the sect.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I go to a Church of God church right now.

I've heard of the Church of Christ and they seem really good except for some of them believing that they are the One True Church...

To be honest the churches that say they are the one true church all do things and believe things that make me uncomfortable as a bible believing foremost, Christian.

I know that you already said you don't believe that, Elizabeth619.

BollWeevil

Jun 24, 2016
Elizabeth, I appreciate all of your posts. I grew up in a conservative CofC since the '70's. As an adult and studying on my own I have found some of the things I was taught growing up non-biblical. I do believe most C of C follow the Bible as close as any other religion/denomination. A great book is "Traces of The Kingdom" by Keith Sisman. He did extensive research in Great Britain (where he was from) and has traced the beliefs of C of C back to at least the 11th century. It's been awhile since I read the first part of the book but I think he traced it back to the time of Constantine where the church definitely became adulterated. Based upon your post I highly recommend seeking out this book.

Bladerunner

Aug 22, 2016
I am just curious.

Is there anyone here that is/are members of the Church of Christ?
I am a member, and I just wondered who else was. Just trying to touch bases and get a feel of this forum is all.

OHHHHHHH!!! And to those who may think that the CoC thinks we are the only ones going to Heaven...well, some may think that way, but I dont. I am not one to judge others for not believing the same way I do. So I really, do not want this thread to turn in to a church bashing thread like I have seen some people do that Catholics. Thank you. Amen.

Are you aware of their Doctrine. iF SO DO YOU BELIEVE IN IT? If Yes, then I have no help for you! Good Luck!

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Are you aware of their Doctrine. iF SO DO YOU BELIEVE IN IT? If Yes, then I have no help for you! Good Luck!
Putting aside the fact that this thread is 6 YEARS OLD, :rolleyes: your comment is pretty close-minded and bigoted. There are people from almost EVERY denomination who think theirs is the "true church". Not all CofC churches believe or teach that. Some do. Not all CofC's condemn instrumental music. Some do. I would be interested in learning what your reasons are for being so quick to write off a whole denomination of followers of Jesus....

Actually, the "current" CofC came about back in the early 19th century, when Thomas and Alexander Campbell, and Barton W Stone founded churches in the new world...this was part of the Restoration Movement. I'm pretty sure the Campbells were Presbyterian ministers... not sure about Stone.
They had very similar ideas of how to "improve" the Presbyterian denomination, which came to be known as the "Stone-Campbell Movement" but ended up splitting over (mostly) instrumental music. The Campbells against, Stone ok with it. The Stone branch became the Disciples of Christ, IIRC, and the Campbell branch became the Church of Christ.

The CofC is known for not having any "creed" other than the word of God, and for every congregation being totally autonomous... no central "controlling group". And, for being predominately "acapella" in worship services.... baptism by immersion, partaking in communion every 1st day of the week... probably some other identifying characteristics that I haven't thought of, as well.

Also, CofC's don't really participate in black masses, and eat young children on high holy days.....

Just to set the record straight......:)

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
I go to a Church of God church right now.

I've heard of the Church of Christ and they seem really good except for some of them believing that they are the One True Church...

To be honest the churches that say they are the one true church all do things and believe things that make me uncomfortable as a bible believing foremost, Christian.

I know that you already said you don't believe that, Elizabeth619.
I, too, go to a denomination that claims to be the only true church. I realized that my church was "the exclusive way to heaven" only some 6 months after I got baptized.

Then I sent a letter to the head of the central board of elders complaining against that heresy and his answer was: "I, myself, don't think we are the only true church -- I believe there must be other denominations that teach the truth, are guided by God, and don't exploit their members -- , but I've never seen any such church except ours".

Now, thirty years later, I'm still looking for another denomination.

What I like about the Church of Christ is this:

<font size="3">[video=youtube;_ews-5vr5kk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ews-5vr5kk[/video]

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I, too, go to a denomination that claims to be the only true church. I realized that my church was "the exclusive way to heaven" only some 6 months after I got baptized.

Then I sent a letter to the head of the central board of elders complaining against that heresy and his answer was: "I, myself, don't think we are the only true church -- I believe there must be other denominations that teach the truth, are guided by God, and don't exploit their members -- , but I've never seen any such church except ours".

Now, thirty years later, I'm still looking for another denomination.

What I like about the Church of Christ is this:

<font size="3">[video=youtube;_ews-5vr5kk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ews-5vr5kk[/video]
Yes... I agree. Good acapella singing is so much better than instrumental, in my opinion. I have nothing against instrumental.... I simply prefer acapella 4 part harmony. Beautiful stuff......

Feb 7, 2015
Yes... I agree. Good acapella singing is so much better than instrumental, in my opinion. I have nothing against instrumental.... I simply prefer acapella 4 part harmony. Beautiful stuff......
Well, it STILL needs to come from people who can sing. I spent 12 years in the CoC, and my wife was born into it.... we have both heard beautiful and horrible A Capella singing coming from The Church. (That church is a little rough.)

Last edited:

abcdef

Mar 30, 2016
Well, it STILL needs to come from people who can sing. I spent 12 years in the CoC, and my wife was born into it.... we have both heard beautiful and horrible A Capella singing coming from The Church. (That church is a little rough.)
We know that it is what is in the heart, not what someone hears.

--

The congregations are scriptural, run by local elders. Of course no one is perfect.

The independent congregations have advantages and disadvantages.

There is no central denomination requiring belief adherence, so the teachings are varied somewhat.

If one congregation has trouble, it doesn't usually involve another congregation.

No money is required to send to a denominational center to be a member.

The disadvantages are only from lacking significant money to advertise as a large denomination would.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
You're right! Harmony singing is not for everyone.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
You're right! Harmony singing is not for everyone.
Yes.... I've been in both... the congregation I grew up in had only about 200 members... and usually fewer than 100 at any given worship service. Our singing was ok, to good.... but really not great. Occasionally we would have city-wide congregational singing in a large venue, with people from several different denominations attending.... the singing there was "chill bump" good....

I was also in my high school chorus, and we had a LOT of really good singers.... (I was, at best, mediocre).... but we consistently won a tri-state music festival in Enid, Oklahoma... the judges there once gave our chorus a standing ovation. The JUDGES did.

Anyway, I LOVE good singing... instruments can help, but certainly are not necessary.