"Closet" Christians... What the heck.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 6, 2011
This is the most frustrating thing I've run into lately...

People (usually guys) "hiding" the fact that they're Christian until they know for sure that you're a Christian. My faith is a point of pride in my life, so I generally share where I am in my walk with total strangers. It's definitely not something I ever appear ashamed of.

Lately, I've discovered a ton of friends that I've had for a long time are saved. I've talked about God in the past, but they generally change the subject so I assume they're not interested in God-related conversations. Then, months down the line we get into an in depth conversation and they'll reveal where they are in their walk. Every time I'm dumbfounded and ask, "Why didn't you tell me you were saved/go to church/love God/etc?" And they reply, "Well, I wasn't sure you liked Godly guys so I didn't say anything." "Uh, what." Obviously, I'm a Christian. I talk about God a lot. I listen to all Christian music. I wear a cross bracelet on my wrist that I never take off. I go to church every week. Even if you didn't know me, my actions prove my faith. Why wouldn't I like Godly guys?

There's no bigger turn on for me then a guy who's intensely in love with God. And yet, all these guy friends I have hide it. Like it's a big red flag that says "don't date me." Which maybe it is... to UNGODLY girls... Ugh.

I just feel like if you're a Christian, you should want a Godly girl, right? And in pursuit of a Godly girl, you should most definitely want to share your faith with her. And yet, so many Christian guys hide this so they can get a date with what? an unGodly girl? What the heck. I don't understand!

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Well Genipher, it means they're keeping their options open. They have one foot in the world, and it's easy to fall in that position.

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
Most guys I've talked to are just like what you are describing. Their reasons vary slightly, but mostly it is because mentioning Jesus more than twice to the 21st century "christian girl" (or guy for that matter) ends up in her calling you a "Jesus Freak" that really needs to "chill out" and stop being "so pushy" with "religion". Sad to say, most guys go into the closet for the sake of winning over relationships, and those relationships typically don't last. This is also because they see many girls ignoring them for the more liberal guys. Some also feel it is necessary to pretend to know everything, while some prefer to let the girl lead. In scriptural context it is very backwards from what it should be - The man having a close relationship with God, in turn leading and honoring his wife, and the wife obeying God first and honoring her husband. (Ephesians 5) Rather, the men are turning into mice, the women turn into the men - and everyone hides their light ending in the current cultural disaster...

I don't have a problem wearing a Christian T-Shirt, but I've been told some pretty nasty things about it. From "are you just being a hipster?" to "you should take that shirt off". It has made me resort to using them only when not at work, but I still enjoy wearing them. And I also don't talk about religion at the workplace, but leave tracts around and will bring it up if asked. (Considering we're not supposed to be chatting during work anyway that's the best I can think of)

Anyways you're point stands, we as Christians should look to stand out even more and be a light to this dying world.

KJV: Matthew Chapter 5

[13]
Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
[14] Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
[15] Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
[16] Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

U

Ugly

I've never heard of that. Seems to me i'd have to question how serious they are in their faith. They could spend 20 minutes going on about their walk, but i'd still question them if they are ashamed. Deny me before men, and i'll deny you before my Father. y a know?

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

They sound fake.

They know your a christian, you try and have discussions about God, yet they claim to not know if "you like godly guys" and thats why they dont discuss God with you
Something about all of that sounds completely off.

S

SantoSubito

Could be they just don't like to talk about it, or they just don't want to be contentious. When I was dating a girl who's parents really didn't like Catholicism I never talked about Catholicism with them. I wasn't ashamed of my Catholic faith, but there's some things you simply don't talk about to keep the peace.

S

simplyme_bekah

I often wonder if it is a bunch of crap that the devil does to Gods children. Many times I have looked up and said God what is this crap the devil is trying to get me to buy into with this retarded shame I sometimes feel about anyways? I then usually flip the devil off and take my ipod into work with all of my klove christian music on it and I play it for all of the customers to hear if it is him. Its either a test from our King or its a bunch of crap the devil does to us. But I am going to go with mostly I think it is a test. i think God wants to test our hearts and our faith. But that is just me guessing what this is all about. It is a uncomfortable feeling and it makes no sense what so ever. I just hope I pass it every single time. But I know exactly what you are talking about. Because it has happened to me. It makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever. But maybe it is one of those things that are higher then our understanding. It makes me dig my heels in and try to love God more openly and to share him even more with others.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Could be they just don't like to talk about it, or they just don't want to be contentious. When I was dating a girl who's parents really didn't like Catholicism I never talked about Catholicism with them. I wasn't ashamed of my Catholic faith, but there's some things you simply don't talk about to keep the peace.
The thing is, anyone who has known me for any period of time knows I am a christian. Although there are people I intentionally don't "force" the topic on them out of respect for their wishes, I sure don't hide it. Of course if the topic happens to come up, I will discuss it then. If my future in-laws (speaking hypothetically) had an issue with my faith, I would much rather get it out in the open quickly than hide it and have problems later.

S

SantoSubito

The thing is, anyone who has known me for any period of time knows I am a christian. Although there are people I intentionally don't "force" the topic on them out of respect for their wishes, I sure don't hide it. Of course if the topic happens to come up, I will discuss it then. If my future in-laws (speaking hypothetically) had an issue with my faith, I would much rather get it out in the open quickly than hide it and have problems later.

I would agree that airing it out quickly is better. But they knew I was Catholic and we left it at that, any discussion we had about religion remained pretty generic and we simply let it be.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I would agree that airing it out quickly is better. But they knew I was Catholic and we left it at that, any discussion we had about religion remained pretty generic and we simply let it be.
I can understand that, I had a good friend (protestant) who's wife was from a Catholic family. He likewise stayed off the topic unless it came up naturally since it typically turned into a debate with his in-laws.

A

AnandaHya

I found an easy way to find out if my friends believe in God is to ask them to pray with me. sometimes its easier to talk with God then about Him.

S

SantoSubito

I can understand that, I had a good friend (protestant) who's wife was from a Catholic family. He likewise stayed off the topic unless it came up naturally since it typically turned into a debate with his in-laws.
That's not even the hard part. The hard part is eventually breaking it to your fiance's parents that; no we can't get married by the pastor you've known for your whole life at the church you've taken your daughter to since she was a child . Of course I imagine they wouldn't have been too thrilled at the prospect of a bunch of Catholic grandkids either, but thankfully I never had to have that conversation.