Clothing From China

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

I’d like to keep this post brief.

I’m not very knowledgeable on work conditions, unfair wages, and child labor occurring around the world, so feel free to correct me on stuff haha.

My concern is with my non-Christian parents and the ethics of purchasing articles of clothing from China.

When and if I go shopping with my mother in the future, do you guys think I should abstain from purchasing and picking out articles of clothing made in China,

but if she would like to purchase something for me, I should let her know why I think it’s wrong (we’ve discussed the topic before) but if she persists, I should simply allow her to do so, right?

Please forgive me for any mistakes regarding China and the stuff.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi everyone,

I’m not very knowledgeable on work conditions, unfair wages, and child labor occurring around the world, so feel free to correct me on stuff haha.

My concern is with my non-Christian parents and the ethics of purchasing articles of clothing from China.

When and if I go shopping with my mother in the future, do you guys think I should abstain from purchasing and picking out articles of clothing made in China,

but if she would like to purchase something for me, I should let her know why I think it’s wrong (we’ve discussed the topic before) but if she persists, I should simply allow her to do so, right?

Hi Twistii,

It's awesome that you want to make both faith-based and socially conscious decisions about your purchases. I understand completely what you mean about not wanting to buy products from countries or circumstances that may be exploiting child labor, etc. I have read about overseas factories (producing things such as the infamous Nike soccer balls) where the supervisors break the children's legs so that they can't run away.

If you do decide to make a conscious effort to stop buying things from certain areas, one thing I would encourage you to research is whether or not the materials used to make the item came from questionable sources as well.

This is where it can get really dicey. A product may be "Made in the USA" or has a tag that indicates it was made somewhere other than China, but that doesn't mean the materials used to make the product were themselves produced ethically.

I think cars are one of the best examples. I had an older relative who insisted on only buying "American" cars, while not realizing (or accepting) that the good majority of parts are products overseas anyway.

Another good example is mica, which gives many products their sparkle, such as cosmetics, crafts, decorative items, etc., but is also commonly mined by overseas child labor who are placed in very dangerous situations.

I don't feel that I can advise you on what to do either way, because you might be buying a pair of jeans that you think were made in an "ethical" country, but the fabric, zipper, buttons and/or thread may have come from a place you are consciously trying to avoid supporting.

I'm looking forward to the advice others give in your thread, as it's something I too am interested in reading more about.

God bless you for wanting to abide by your faith in everything you do!

D

DWR

I do not believe that any clothing is made in the US today.
If it is, one would have to be rich to afford it.
Guess you will just have to wear those old clothes or go naked.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Hi Twistii,

It's awesome that you want to make both faith-based and socially conscious decisions about your purchases. I understand completely what you mean about not wanting to buy products from countries or circumstances that may be exploiting child labor, etc. I have read about overseas factories (producing things such as the infamous Nike soccer balls) where the supervisors break the children's legs so that they can't run away.

If you do decide to make a conscious effort to stop buying things from certain areas, one thing I would encourage you to research is whether or not the materials used to make the item came from questionable sources as well.

This is where it can get really dicey. A product may be "Made in the USA" or has a tag that indicates it was made somewhere other than China, but that doesn't mean the materials used to make the product were themselves produced ethically.

I think cars are one of the best examples. I had an older relative who insisted on only buying "American" cars, while not realizing (or accepting) that the good majority of parts are products overseas anyway.

Another good example is mica, which gives many products their sparkle, such as cosmetics, crafts, decorative items, etc., but is also commonly mined by overseas child labor who are placed in very dangerous situations.

I don't feel that I can advise you on what to do either way, because you might be buying a pair of jeans that you think were made in an "ethical" country, but the fabric, zipper, buttons and/or thread may have come from a place you are consciously trying to avoid supporting.

I'm looking forward to the advice others give in your thread, as it's something I too am interested in reading more about.

Wow, this was such a detailed post. I appreciate the time and effort put into this.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Hi Twistii,

btw, have u heard of fairtradecertified.org?

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Hi everyone,

Try shopping in thrift shops. Second hand shops . Then you don't have to worry about where it came from

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
Clothing, even branded sneakers, are very often made in China and elsewhere because of America's minimum wage for such businesses.
(Not so with agricultural labor. But what white neck is going to break their back picking veggies on a day with a 100+ degree heat index?)

made in America clothing

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
Try shopping in thrift shops. Second hand shops . Then you don't have to worry about where it came from
Riiiight.
Though depending on the neighborhood, many a shopper has found high dollar designer duds for ver little money.