Computer Browsers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I use Opera and I love it. :eek: However, it uses a TON of memory on my computer. I'd like to find another browser to replace my Firefox because frankly, I HATE Firefox because it's slow, crashes alot when I use it, which is hardly ever, lol. BUT it's the only browser supported by Norton, which is the anti virus I use.. I use Opera for about 98% of what I do, and I only use FF for downloading programs.

Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight browser that is easy on resources, works fast and doesn't crash alot?? :)

Also please tell me:

1.) What browser(s) you use.

2.) What search engine is best? I use DuckDuckGo.

3.) What browser add-ons I might need.

Thanks

AllenW

Apr 20, 2016
I use Opera and I love it. :eek: However, it uses a TON of memory on my computer. I'd like to find another browser to replace my Firefox because frankly, I HATE Firefox because it's slow, crashes alot when I use it, which is hardly ever, lol. BUT it's the only browser supported by Norton, which is the anti virus I use.. I use Opera for about 98% of what I do, and I only use FF for downloading programs.

Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight browser that is easy on resources, works fast and doesn't crash alot?? :)

Also please tell me:

Thanks
What's a browser?

W

wwjd_kilden

My mother said their tech support at work recommended Chrome
There is a browser called Lynx, maybe our resident Lynx knows more about it?
I use Firefox out of habit :p

to be honest, I think Google IS the best SE, even though I try desperately not to use it :p
My default SE is bing

I normally only add add- ons once I face a website which requires one, so I don't know what you'd need :p

A

astropolis

Also please tell me:

Thanks

1) Chrome running on RedHat Linux (On this chip I shall run Linux and the Gates of Bill shall not prevail against it :=*) )

2) Google

3) Not many.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
If the browser your using is utilising so much memory that it's slowing down your computer then I'd recommend more memory. Firefox is a fairly mature browser, how much memory does it consume? I would say it'd be the same amount as Chrome.
If you want to conserve memory, rid of Norton.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I hardly ever use Firefox, but when I do, it's only to download programs for my computer, which is rarely because I haven't downloaded many programs.. FF is slow to open up, and crashes often and I hate it.. LOL

Opera consumes much memory but is amazingly fast. I like Norton, it's blocked many fake web attacks for me, but it IS a pain in the keister because it scans all the time and the sound of the hard drive going, is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.. lol

Norton expires soon, so I'm thinking about using the free version of Avira along with Windows firewall and Tinywall along with it..

U

Ugly

I hate Chrome. Been a FF user for over 15 years. Don't have problems with it crashing a lot of running slow.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Opera never crashes. :) And unless I get the occasional wonky upgrade, it never runs slow either..

I hate Chrome. Been a FF user for over 15 years. Don't have problems with it crashing a lot of running slow.

U

Ugly

Opera never crashes. :) And unless I get the occasional wonky upgrade, it never runs slow either..
Congratulations? Not sure what your point is in repeating what you said already. Especially since I was referring to Chrome, not Opera.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Opera is chromium based. Same stuff that Google Chrome uses.